The Doom Room: ILF Edition

Re: The Doom Room: ILF Edition

Postby D.o.S. » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:24 pm

As long as you don't need it to be clean you should be fine.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby christianatl » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:57 pm

D.o.S. wrote:That's a tricky thing, dude. Especially if you like the band. I guess you should think about whether or not you can really contribute to them to the degree you would want as a fan?

christianatl wrote:Do y'all like Swans? Because their last two, while certainly not doom, are heavy as fuck and awesome.

It's weird to hear a band put out incredible records late in their career. Logic suggests that later records would be better, but history suggests otherwise. Harvey Milk and The birthday Party are also great examples of this, IMO.

I like Swans but I think you should look back a little bit -- the newest stuff is good but their peak, IMO, is with Soundtracks for the Blind and My Father will Guide Me up a Rope to the Sky. Jarboe adds a dimension to the band that is lacking in the 'dude rock' era they've got going on now.

HAHAHAHAHA. You know I'm old as fuck right? I've literally been listening to Swans for almost 30 years.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whores/108004672554176
http://whores.bandcamp.com
http://whores.bigcartel.com

WTB: Chase Bliss Tonal Recall, Keeley 30ms Delay, cool fuzzes and hand-painted stuff.
christianatl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Oh yeah that's not what I was trying to imply dude, just talking about artistic peaks when I say "look back". I don't think any of the new records touches Soundtracks...
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby maggot » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:32 pm

sergiomunoz74 wrote:I have a strange dilemma which for many wouldn't sound like a dilemma, but I've been asked to join an established band called Ikaray, but for some reason I'm getting cold feet. They always liked my playing but they are planning tours and such, but I havent toured or gigged in a real long time and my gear is more bedroom orientated stuff now-a-days as I don't have much pants flapping doom gear since apartment living makes that a bit tough. For some reason I feel sort of uncommitted as I know a touring band can get expensive especially as you commit serious time to it.

What do you think should I jump in and try my hardest, buy some big amps, and see what happens? Or should I tell them to look elsewhere?

By the way this is them, https://ikaraydoom.bandcamp.com/releases
I'm friends with the singer and the drummer, their girlfriends are good friends with mine haha

There are a million pros and cons. Do you like your job? Do you like your apartment? Will you be able to keep both? The band sounds awesome, but there are a million reasons to live a life instead of touring. Then again you don't want to miss an opportunity to play some awesome shows if that's what you want to do.

I wouldn't worry so much about gear. In a big city, everyone has a 4x12 that they can't live with for another minute. Spend $100 on a Peavey to back up your Mig 50 and you're good to go. I bet someone would also be happy to do a temporary trade of 2x12 for 4x12. I know I would if I lived in your your area.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby ricks.pics » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:58 pm

sergiomunoz74 wrote:I have a strange dilemma which for many wouldn't sound like a dilemma, but I've been asked to join an established band called Ikaray, but for some reason I'm getting cold feet. They always liked my playing but they are planning tours and such, but I havent toured or gigged in a real long time and my gear is more bedroom orientated stuff now-a-days as I don't have much pants flapping doom gear since apartment living makes that a bit tough. For some reason I feel sort of uncommitted as I know a touring band can get expensive especially as you commit serious time to it.

What do you think should I jump in and try my hardest, buy some big amps, and see what happens? Or should I tell them to look elsewhere?

I'm friends with the singer and the drummer, their girlfriends are good friends with mine haha

Yo dude, I was Ikaray's second guitar player. I was having a hard time keeping up with them volume wise until I started running a V4 through a 4x12. Due to the frequency spectrum Dan takes up, the only way I could get my guitar to be distinguishable was to go for a darker, more low mids focused sound. However I found that puts you in competition for frequencies with bass at times which can be challenging due to how loud James has his rig. Trying to find room for yourself in the old stuff from when they were a three piece is hard since they have their tones pretty set for that stuff. The 412 I was running was not the best, so if you ran a really efficient/loud 412 with your mig50 you could might get to the volume you would need.

TBH being in that band is awesome, so I would say go for it! I only stepped down due to having too much on my plate with trying to stay fully committed to them and my main band, bummed on a regular basis I didn't have more time in my life to make both work. :(
ricks.pics

interested
interested

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:36 pm

ricks.pics wrote:

Yo dude, I was Ikaray's second guitar player. I was having a hard time keeping up with them volume wise until I started running a V4 through a 4x12. Due to the frequency spectrum Dan takes up, the only way I could get my guitar to be distinguishable was to go for a darker, more low mids focused sound. However I found that puts you in competition for frequencies with bass at times which can be challenging due to how loud James has his rig. Trying to find room for yourself in the old stuff from when they were a three piece is hard since they have their tones pretty set for that stuff. The 412 I was running was not the best, so if you ran a really efficient/loud 412 with your mig50 you could might get to the volume you would need.

TBH being in that band is awesome, so I would say go for it! I only stepped down due to having too much on my plate with trying to stay fully committed to them and my main band, bummed on a regular basis I didn't have more time in my life to make both work. :(

Haha what a coincidence actually, but yeah listening to the stuff that you guys got on the album is rad, and I've known both Daniel and Wesley for a bit over a year. The only thing is learning the songs are a bit tough by ear since I can't distinguish what is the second guitar parts in many segments but I'm supposed to meet with them so I can get the songs down.

I think I'm going to try to be with them for a while and see how I feel over time, I like the idea but I definitely have a lot on my plate with full time work, girlfriend and another non-doom metal band that I'm trying to get up off the ground, that in more ways than not is my actual brain child or whatever you'd call it. Im sure once things get going I will have be able to make time for it though.

Good to know on the volume spectrum stuff. I think as far as gear goes, Im gonna try my best to fit myself in volume wise, its probably true that if I really wanted to I could get more and more cabs on the cheap since chicago is the land of 4x12's that people will get rid of for nothing and a half.
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Postby ricks.pics » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:59 pm

sergiomunoz74 wrote:
ricks.pics wrote:

Haha what a coincidence actually, but yeah listening to the stuff that you guys got on the album is rad, and I've known both Daniel and Wesley for a bit over a year. The only thing is learning the songs are a bit tough by ear since I can't distinguish what is the second guitar parts in many segments but I'm supposed to meet with them so I can get the songs down.

I think I'm going to try to be with them for a while and see how I feel over time, I like the idea but I definitely have a lot on my plate with full time work, girlfriend and another non-doom metal band that I'm trying to get up off the ground, that in more ways than not is my actual brain child or whatever you'd call it. Im sure once things get going I will have be able to make time for it though.

Good to know on the volume spectrum stuff. I think as far as gear goes, Im gonna try my best to fit myself in volume wise, its probably true that if I really wanted to I could get more and more cabs on the cheap since chicago is the land of 4x12's that people will get rid of for nothing and a half.

Totally I feel that, the 2nd guitar parts that Dan wanted me to do mostly followed the bass parts, so that's where I started when learning the songs.

I hope you can do it, that band def needs to be a 4 piece again. I think Dan is still trying to sell his 412's? But yeah there is always a good rotation on CL here of 412's!
ricks.pics

interested
interested

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Saw The Body last night. All tabletop set. Not a single guitar on stage. Still slayed.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby conky » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:12 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Saw The Body last night. All tabletop set. Not a single guitar on stage. Still slayed.

This sounds awesome. Hit the studio saturday and sunday and knocked out an original and an Alice in Chains cover. Probably the heaviest songs we've ever recorded. Tones were huge. Matt ran my old Warmoth Esquire into a Pharaoh into a clean boost and then to a Dual Showman. I ran my Les Paul into a Pharaoh into a Model T while our bassist ran a Warmoth into a Dunwich HM2 into a Mesa. Killer stuff and I can't wait for yall to hear it. There is a video on my instagram if yall are friends on there.

Edit:

Nailed the drum tracks as well. Fuck drummers.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Iommic Pope » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Which AIC song did you guys hit?
Also put me on the preorder for that when you get it oresed
I keep missing your runs.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:15 pm

:lol: "fuck drummers".
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lefchr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:16 pm

christianatl wrote:Do y'all like Swans? Because their last two, while certainly not doom, are heavy as fuck and awesome.

It's weird to hear a band put out incredible records late in their career. Logic suggests that later records would be better, but history suggests otherwise. Harvey Milk and The birthday Party are also great examples of this, IMO.

Haven't listened to the newest Swans album that much but I still play to be kind fairly often, its such a intense album.
lefchr

committed
committed

Postby odontophobia » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:19 am

conky wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:Saw The Body last night. All tabletop set. Not a single guitar on stage. Still slayed.

This sounds awesome. Hit the studio saturday and sunday and knocked out an original and an Alice in Chains cover. Probably the heaviest songs we've ever recorded. Tones were huge. Matt ran my old Warmoth Esquire into a Pharaoh into a clean boost and then to a Dual Showman. I ran my Les Paul into a Pharaoh into a Model T while our bassist ran a Warmoth into a Dunwich HM2 into a Mesa. Killer stuff and I can't wait for yall to hear it. There is a video on my instagram if yall are friends on there.

Edit:

That sounds awesome man. Super stoked to hear that shit when released.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:07 am

Hey what do you guys think of a 2x12 plus 1x15 setup rather than just a 4x12?
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:05 pm

conky wrote:

Edit:

I'm with pope -- must know the AIC track!
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org