856 for ZELLERSASN (Firmware 1.6 released, last page)

Moderator: multi_s

Re: 856 for ZELLERSASN (Firmware 1.6 released, last page)

Postby Seance » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:27 pm

cosmicevan wrote:Here's how I am using mine for the foreseeable future.

It really does catch that modular "this is the best thing you'll never be able to do again" vibe.

That pumpkin looks like it has a pretty killer pedalboard.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby wedgehed » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:10 pm

It really does catch that modular "this is the best thing you'll never be able to do again" vibe.

What's that on the left?
wedgehed

interested
interested

Postby cosmicevan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:59 pm

wedgehed wrote:

What's that on the left?

L>R
mtl.asm PurPLL - Malekko Charlie Foxtrot - mtl.asm Count to 5 - mtl.asm 856 for Zellersasn.

There's an old Vox amPlug coming out of the 856 for headphones and a Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator PO-32 (Tonic) feeding into the input of PurPLL
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:37 pm

Stumbled across a workaround to my gripe about twisting GAIN while toggling between N’s!!!

If you hold the FADE / GAIN / FBK, the GAIN knob isn’t controlling anything(?) - at least that I’ve noticed...so I can do that to get the GAIN where I want it when toggling between N’s of different volumes!
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:57 pm

I have also come to the realization that the 856 for Zellersasn is essentially an extrapolation on mode 3 of Count to 5. Kinda like the mode 3 of Ct5 Deluxe Pro version. I have really grown an appreciation for the Count to 5 loop/sample modes as a result of getting familiar with the zellersasn
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:34 pm

I have evolved my "tricks" w the zellersasn. Now I find I still love to.snag a sample in R=B mode and speed it up then chop the size, bring in N2/N3 offset w some pitching and rhythmically spaced out repeats, but now I have found the joys of kicking it over to AREC mode.and record/overdub a slice in time and let the madness ensue over live playing/noise making. Every now amd then hitting play locks in a rhtymic sample to jam over and at any point you can hit record again to change the vibe. Stop > Record lets you grab a new size of your slice in time to play w.

What an incredible instrument this is!

Any new people sinking their teeth in since the re-stocks?
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Seance » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:41 pm

Spent a bit of time wandering around between Your & You're and 856 For Zellersasn.

http://vimeo.com/378152184
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:28 pm

@cosmicevan - I've said this before, I will say it again. I understand you.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:54 pm

$harkToootth wrote:@cosmicevan - I've said this before, I will say it again. I understand you.

Haha, well that makes one. I find the 856 way easier to grasp than whats going on in my head!

Still one of...if not the favorite pedal I own. I vow to explore MIDI on it in 2020

2019 :!!!: 2020 :!!!:
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Heraclitus Akimbo » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:31 am

Cross-posting this here... this was my rig for a recent gig with a new trio:

Got lotsa mileage out of the 856 in this setup, especially on my bandmate's vocals in one piece. Did some fancy/weird looping with the 856 and also some lo-fi looping with some homemade tape loops that I was using in the 4-track.

It sounded like this, if you wanna check it out.
solo (mostly ambient): https://heraclitusakimbo.bandcamp.com/
duo (electroacoustic vibration exploration): https://wenderlypark.bandcamp.com/
trio (tapes/voice/clarinet/synth/poems): https://ourwaytofall.bandcamp.com/
band (spontaneous kosmische): https://stargoon.bandcamp.com/

I also help co-ordinate Okta, ILF's collaborative community ambient project: https://okta.bandcamp.com
Heraclitus Akimbo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Phuzzy856 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi, I'm Phuzzy, and I'm the latest victim...errrr.. purchaser of a Zellersasn! lol I've had it for a few days. And, I JUST purchased a Used Ct5.

So, I have a lot of work ahead!

I'm immersing in the Manuals, soaking in the Videos, and marinating in the last 10Pages of this Thread.

I was already able to set the Zell to a fairly balls-out setting, utilizing N2-3, with all their Pitches engaged, and 'Separation' from the DeltaKnob. This setting made me kind of giggle and drool, it was so... so... cool!

Hit a chord, wait a second, and then Magicke comes burbling out of the speakers, kind of like what I would expect a RainbowMachine to sound like (never played one).

So far, the way I'm learning/using Zell seems to almost make it a different pedal than the Videos I've seen. IRL, Zell seems to me like a Perfect DigitalDelay, with Pitch and Time variables. I even got a great 'Slapback' by double-tapping really quickly in AREC- and was playing a verrry interesting take on 'Folsom'.

I had joked to myself how I was gonna find that this box does a killer Chorus and I would never even use the Looper. Well, I somehow DID get a fleeting Chorus sound that I'm going to have to remember!

I'll just lay out my issues/questions at the moment. I'm just a few days in, haven't had much time due to work schedule, but I want to try and not repeat the same questions everyone else had.

1) I take it Pitches are 'stepped', so you can't get MicroTones?

2) Is there 'TimeStretching' (or Compression) here, either in the ENV, LEN, or TEMPO/REP?

3) FREE RecMode:

Cosmic-Evan warned me that this Mode is a trap, lol! The ONLY thing I see in the Manual concerning FREE RecMode is that "Buffer Length does not affect Tempo". OK,... so I record, say 4sec, but then when it plays back, the TEMPO knob isn't at the 4sec mark, and the Loop either cuts out for a portion of the memory (I assume 8sec total), or sort of overdubs upon itself. It seems then that one must maneuver(sp) the TEMPO knob to 'find' the exact Length of your Loop.

Since AREC is 'Guitar pedal Mode', what IS 'FREE' RecMode... as an analogy? Sort of like "in the field recording"? Like you're taking it 'on the fly' and catching whatever you can (maybe snippet of speech, environmental/industrial sounds, etc)?

Or is it kind of 'F-around and Get-It-Right Mode'? So that you take those settings and then TRANSFER them to the other two?

lol, that's probably enough for a first Post! Cheers!

btw- I DO mean to make these pedals my b**** and show them who's Daddy,... but, lol,... I'm sure I WILL need you help and guidance! I by no means plan on being a Zell-Casualty!!! IT'S THE BEST TRACKING MACHINE I'VE EVER PLAYED!
Phuzzy856

interested
interested

Postby multi_s » Mon May 25, 2020 3:57 pm

Hi,

1. Yes the way it is now you cannot get microtones with the pitch.

2. No there is no time stretching

3. What happens in R=B is that if you make a recording of 5 seconds, then teh beat has a period of 5 seconds automatically. So the TEMPO gets set automatically to 1/5 bpm.

in FREE mode you may record a 5 second loop say, but the TEMPO does not get adjusted based on the length of this recording. So if you BPM was say 60 bpm the 5 second sample would re trigger every second. So you would hear many copies of the sample overlapping, each layer starting a second after the previous one. FREE means the tempos is agnostic to the sample length basically. R=B means tempo takes the sample length as the period of the beat
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby cosmicevan » Mon May 25, 2020 9:07 pm

Tempo agnostic....sounds like a trap to me.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Phuzzy856 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:24 pm

multi_s wrote:Hi,

1. Yes the way it is now you cannot get microtones with the pitch.

2. No there is no time stretching

3. What happens in R=B is that if you make a recording of 5 seconds, then teh beat has a period of 5 seconds automatically. So the TEMPO gets set automatically to 1/5 bpm.

in FREE mode you may record a 5 second loop say, but the TEMPO does not get adjusted based on the length of this recording. So if you BPM was say 60 bpm the 5 second sample would re trigger every second. So you would hear many copies of the sample overlapping, each layer starting a second after the previous one. FREE means the tempos is agnostic to the sample length basically. R=B means tempo takes the sample length as the period of the beat

tempo agnostic = TEMPO (knob) does 'not know' the FOOTSWITCH Time-Taps (2 actual different Tempos going at once, right?)

Wow! You definitely explained some functionality to the FREE now for me! Of course, making that WORK will take some work, but, it may yield the most psychedelic results of all, who knows. OK< gonna rethink this...

QUESTION:

UNI-down

If I want to do, say, the 'Swing' function, and I've already set PITCHES and DELTA and such, and don't want to twiddle the D-knob, and don't want to UNI-down and lose my PITCHES... you know what I'm asking?... I do believe Evan asked earlier and had made some progress in this regard

OR, do I adhere to the 'workflow', and do PITCHES last, so to speak? or, go back and FineTune DELTA after I set the 'Swing'?

QUESTION:

N1 vs N2-3

1) I'm seeing N1 as PrimusMaximus, father of the gods, the one from whom all follows. There is but ONE PITCH, and no REPEATS (w/o midi). So, technically, it's the most limited...(let us assume for the moment?)...

2) Is N2 BEFORE N3?

If I seem to set N2 'after' N3, and distant sounding, and set N3 tight and upfront... would that do something different internally than if N3 followed N2 proper, like all number should, lol! So, should N2 be the 'tighter' function, and N3 the 'looser' one

OR, are the Independent, and it doesn't matter? You can set N2 'after' (in a sonic sense) N3, or the other way around, and it doesn't do anything differently internally.

QUESTION:

FEEDBACK

Wow, I was in AREC (I think), jamming along, and switch to SolidWhiteLED FBK, and got the most awesome, regular, DigitalDelay trails ever! It was beautiful. Incidentally, I had N1-3 going.

Then I switched to FlashingWhiteLED and of course all Z broke loose, so I turned FBK 'Off'. BUT HEY, I LIKED THAT INITIAL THING!!! When I re-triggered SolidWhiteLED, I got the usual, crazy Feedback, like with the FlashingWhiteLED.

I KNOW I GOT THIS BEFORE. Is this a matter of having to 'clear' the machine before I can get that 'subdued' ultra-cool FBK... I sure hope you know what I'm talkin bout, cuz, if not, this thing makes an extra cool trick but it has a catch..

I've been working like a mule so I wasn't able to devote, say, MemorialDay weekend, to mastering Z, so, mmm, I look at it and ponder since I'm too exhausted to tinker.

But, I have been unlocking my particular use... I'm a 'Guitar Pedalist', so, to me, it's a 'Guitar Pedal', and, I'm integrating IT into ME...lol... instead of letting it take over...which it can, lol!

It's a thought provoking pedal, which i need, a pedal on which to ponder... (what IS it???lol)...
Phuzzy856

interested
interested

Postby wedgehed » Thu May 28, 2020 4:52 pm

Just to verify...does midi clock not pass thru to the midi out jack?
wedgehed

interested
interested

PreviousNext

Return to Montreal Assembly