856 for ZELLERSASN (Firmware 1.6 released, last page)

Moderator: multi_s

Re: 856 for ZELLERSASN

Postby goroth » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:22 am

Inner Vegas wrote:I'm so annoyed seeing this redesigned version when I just bought the "laid out by a blind person" version that I might sell mine. I feel kind of taken advantage of - first my 2015 CT5 that was left in the dust by cool revisions and now this "actually logical" layout two weeks after I bought an 856 with no indication it had already been overhauled. This is bad business.

Scott (aka Obama) willfully released a shit layout to scam people and buy an island in the Bahamas. Bad business. Bad (sick) guy.
</tweet>
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:13 am

I must be the only one who likes the old layout. I design a lot of my reports at work like that. I like to be able to take in everything at a glance. Big "Thank You" to thesneakup for selling me one at a reasonable second hand price!
Last edited by $harkToootth on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:21 am

goroth wrote:Scott (aka Obama) willfully released a shit layout to scam people and buy an island in the Bahamas. Bad business. Bad (sick) guy.

:lol: Scott 'Obama Bahama' Monk
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:36 am

Think of it like this, you are buying a tiny computer. Over time the software changes and gets updated until the point the old hardware can no longer run it. More has changed with the Ct5 hardware than just adding a switch.

As far as interface, it's only been changed because Scott and co. have learned what they need to based on feedback etc.

And don't be the guy to score a profit before updating. You'll be doing exactly what you think mtl.asm did. Taking advantage of someone by profiting on a more obsolete version.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby raj007 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:45 am

Inner Vegas wrote:I'm so annoyed seeing this redesigned version when I just bought the "laid out by a blind person" version that I might sell mine. I feel kind of taken advantage of - first my 2015 CT5 that was left in the dust by cool revisions and now this "actually logical" layout two weeks after I bought an 856 with no indication it had already been overhauled. This is bad business.

Joins forum just to...

Wah Wah Wah Wah Wah.

Bro, Mommy is callin', it's time for your breastfeeding.
popvulture wrote:Nothing is truer bypass than the void.

D.o.S wrote:Whenever I step on my tuner the shitty guitar playing stops.
raj007

experienced
experienced

Postby codetocontra » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:38 am

You thought the pedal was cool enough to buy in the first place, as it was. An update doesn't take away anything from what you own. Revisions happen to like every product anymore and especially when you are an early adopter.

Dont get all SoiBoi about it.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ruiner » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:55 am

Guys... he's right.

I feel you man. Look, it's worthless at this point but i'll give you $100 for it because I've been there.. i know what you're going through. We'll get through this. Together.
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby molokaio » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:02 am

This is funny... bitching because he had a good deal on a blemish unit + free shipping!

AFAIK ct5 are upgradable by the user.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/robzdrone/
molokaio

committed
committed

Postby DRodriguez » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:04 am

Both the 856 and the Ct5 are to a degree. You can not make the hardware or interface changes. (you could for the 856 I guess but it would be a risky pain in the ass and void any sort of warranty)
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Seance » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:55 am

Exactly.

Complaining about getting a blem unit at a discount is weird. If people sell their monstrously,
diabolically "obsolete and outdated" (meaning completely usable pedals with available firmware
updates) for a profit, then they should definitely send that profit margin back to Scott.

Otherwise it's just a "bad business" altogether.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:12 am

Graeme777 wrote:Anyone got a hint or an educated guess on a release date ? Hopefully within around 8 days I know :)

It will not be that soon unfortunately bc we have had quite a few hiccups in the shop since 2017 showed up. You can watch this forum or sign up for newsletter and we will announce when we have a better idea. 1-2 months min, hopefully not more.

It was not laid out by a blind person. I have replied to your previous ct5 comments in the ct5 thread iirc. As it looks like a few people suggested, if you are not happy with the 856 i doubt you would have problems offloading it at this point. I don;t feel that we are taking advantage of anyone by selling 14 units of something we get 20 emails a week requesting since last fall. I can understand where you are coming from but if you are implying we are trying to scam people in some way, then i would have to disagree.

molokaio wrote:AFAIK ct5 are upgradable by the user.

The ct5s are upgradable as you suggest but the grievance has to do with he fact that the latest rev j firmware is not in line with the latest rev k firmware. So at this time for example some features that are on the rev k/l editions are not actually available on the rev j (or h/i). It is reasonable to ask why this is so imho but i have already responded to this several times in the ct5 thread.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:54 pm

Scott, I love the layouts. They are logical and minimalistic. I understand the design philosophy (a. I think b. If there is one)

I don't even have my 856 yet but I read the manual once and watched only the Scott Monk Demo with the DX 100 (the Detroit techno synth) and it made sense.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:00 pm

Odd question and probably not the right thread for this, but have you ever considered creating software version of the pedals as plugins? Or different ideas as plugins? Probably have to deal with more piracy and pricing issues, but the novel ideas could work well for that along with your programming skill set
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:07 pm

DRodriguez wrote:Odd question and probably not the right thread for this, but have you ever considered creating software version of the pedals as plugins? Or different ideas as plugins? Probably have to deal with more piracy issues, but the novel ideas could work well for that

I just read an interview with Curt Malouin and he has interesting things to say about the software/hardware binary. He talks about how OS' update all the time so eventually you may not be able to use your software. Hardware, while more expensive kind of ensures you can still use something. He cited his 909 as the example. So while I can update my CT5 with software, I will in theory never have to worry about not being able to use it because it operates independently of another OS.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:17 pm

DRodriguez wrote:Odd question and probably not the right thread for this, but have you ever considered creating software version of the pedals as plugins? Or different ideas as plugins? Probably have to deal with more piracy issues, but the novel ideas could work well for that

maybe one day but not right now, for me at least. We kick around the idea a lot of other ventures, but for now pedals are working out ok. Nicholas was working more recently on a software based midi sequencer iirc but i do not know the current state, i think he will likely release it independently since i have had nothing to do with it's development. Who knows though.

S
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Montreal Assembly