856 for ZELLERSASN (Firmware 1.6 released, last page)

Moderator: multi_s

Re: 856 for ZELLERSASN

Postby MrNovember » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:19 pm

I'm kind of in the same boat. It's an incredibly cool effect, but I just don't know what to use it for in my current setup. I need to spend some more time exploring it still
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby multi_s » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:31 pm

zoooombiex wrote:Thanks Scott - that makes sense. I tried it out last night and confirmed that it was working as you described. I suspect that I just stumbled into that setup with the tourbox unit and didn't realize it when I started playing around with this one.

no problem.

hotfat wrote:Scott,

"It does not mean that each time the beat light flashes (signalling the beginning of a loop) the pitch will alternate. It means the repeats within the loop alternate."

I understood that from the start. That was clear.

I was mostly confused by the way P1, P2 and P3 are piled up by default, making it kind of difficult to understand what's going on with the TMPO/REP knob. Finding out how to spread out the P1, P2 and P3 "voices" with the DELTA knob helped with that.

It seems that there are a finite number of "repeats" that can be selected. I hear a maximum of 16 total iterations of the P1, P2 and P3 "voices", 6 of P1 and 5 each of P2 and P3. Is this correct? If so, a tweek of the resolution/scaling of the TMPO/REP knob might be useful as it's difficult to make selections on the minimum side and the selections are farther apart on the maximum side. I hope that's clear.

Just curious, what's "the Tourbox"?

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Scott!

re tourbox: a board member JWAR loaned his out to a series of people (on "tour") but unfortunately it went missing half way though. But anyway i was responding to zoom to say they should be the same firmware, the one in that tour, and the one that he has purchased.

re repeats: iirc it should linearly increase. so for every x degrees one repeat should be added. Is that what you mean though? like for whatever reason you experience rapid change when the dial is more counter clockwise, and less change when the dial is more clockwise?

there are a finite number available yes, it is 16 as you said i believe.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby hotfat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:04 pm

Scott,

" … it should linearly increase. so for every x degrees one repeat should be added."

It doesn't seem to be like that. I imagine the potentiometer's taper probably varies from unit to unit but in the case of my box, it seems to be MUCH "tighter" with VERY little movement required to add the 2nd and 3rd playback or "voice" at the start, or minimum, and then MUCH "looser", or more movement required to add additional voices as you approach the end or maximum. It's almost impossible to set the knob to select just P1 and P2, then bump it to just add P3. It takes a LOT of fiddling on that end of the knob's rotation. Again, I hope that's clear.

So, it sounds like there should be 16 equally spaced, discrete steps when the TMPO/REP knob is used for this purpose. Reasonable?

One thing that I think would be a valuable addition to the feature set would be REVERSE PLAYBACK, whether it's on a NOTE SET level or a Px (P1, P2 and P3) level. I don't have any idea whether the architecture of the software would accommodate the Px level but it would seem to be kind of complicated from the user interface side.

Thanks again, Scott.
hotfat

interested
interested

Postby hotfat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:59 pm

Scott,

Would it be possible to implement the 856 PITCH parameter the same way it's done on the CT5 in "Quantize to semitones", going from forward to reverse, and on the Px level?? Only you would know! I think that would be a fantastic addition. I don't know how this would affect the POS parameter, ENV, FADE, etc.

Thanks for considering ...
hotfat

interested
interested

Postby wedgehed » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Any one else using Ctrlr software with the 856?

Here's a screenshot of the controller I made.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9v0yqjpojylun ... 0.png?dl=0

You can download the software from ctrlr.org.

I'll be glad to share my panel with any who want to try it.
wedgehed

interested
interested

Postby Heraclitus Akimbo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:20 pm

wedgehed wrote:Here's a screenshot of the controller I made.

:love: Very cool!
solo (mostly ambient): https://heraclitusakimbo.bandcamp.com/
duo (electroacoustic vibration exploration): https://wenderlypark.bandcamp.com/
trio (tapes/voice/clarinet/synth/poems): https://ourwaytofall.bandcamp.com/
band (spontaneous kosmische): https://stargoon.bandcamp.com/

I also help co-ordinate Okta, ILF's collaborative community ambient project: https://okta.bandcamp.com
Heraclitus Akimbo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fuzzisokiguess » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:06 am

Nice!! I’m a Ctrlr controller too!

My midi capabilities are really limited, so Ctrlr is my go-to for the 856. Actually built a template using the v1.2 manual only to realize there were diffferences with 1.1 :facepalm:

I’m sure there are other options, but for me, it really opens up the 856, and allows really easy access to octaves etc.
Attachments
99C16398-008F-4CB9-ADB6-CC018EE0AF5B.gif
Sorry for the literal screenshot
fuzzisokiguess

committed
committed

Postby meanmedianmoge » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:51 am

wedgehed wrote: I'll be glad to share my panel with any who want to try it.

I'd love to give it a whirl! Been experimenting with MIDI, so this would be a huge help.

fuzzisokiguess wrote:I’m sure there are other options, but for me, it really opens up the 856, and allows really easy access to octaves etc.

Very cool! Looks like something I can get behind.

Speaking of.. Scott, are you familiar if the Disaster Area midi controllers can send MIDI CC messages to the 856? I have a DPC-5 and it's giving me some issue (currently have it set to Device B and 856 on channel 2, with MIDI chain: DPC-5>H9>856). It has a General MIDI implementation for any pedals it doesn't specify support for.. and I can see the CC numbers, but I think the problem is with transmitting values to initiate the changes as per the MIDI section of the 856 docs.

I sent out an email to them yesterday, so I'll update accordingly. Thanks in advance!
meanmedianmoge

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby wedgehed » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:21 pm

meanmedianmoge wrote:
wedgehed wrote: I'll be glad to share my panel with any who want to try it.

I'd love to give it a whirl! Been experimenting with MIDI, so this would be a huge help.

I think you can download the panel from this link. Hit the "More" tab (3 dots) for the download command.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iuqacdhej5t03 ... panel?dl=0

Let me know how it works for you.
wedgehed

interested
interested

Postby baremountain » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:23 pm

Hey y'all, I don't have my 856 any more but since y'all are talking about controllers & whatnot, if any of you have an Organelle as well you can use my app that I created to control the 856 from the Organelle. Has per-Pitch (ie N1P1 N1P2 N1P3 N2P1, etc) pitch selection based off keys (C being your root) and gives access to the number of reapeats for the N1 group & some other MIDI-only functionality. I can verify it worked 100% with V1 of the 856, I don't think MIDI behavior changed between the original and current revision. Everything in the patch itself is clearly labeled to avoid confusion, and I tried to leave pretty detailed comments within the actual PD file itself if you want to see what's going on under the hood or edit it/rebuild it externally (this was my first ever program so pls no judgy at my inefficiencies).

https://patchstorage.com/856-for-zellersasn-controller/

EDIT: If I remember correctly V2 was going to include some kind of MIDI clock sync possibilities? Dunno if that happened, but this patch does NOT take that into account, but a clock sync would be simple to accomplish with a 2/3 module chain in the PD file. There's even a free knob for you to use for master tempo.
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby hotfat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:11 am

I've tried to install Ctrlr (current "stable" ver 5.3.201) on Win10 with no luck. The install bombs out almost immediately with "Error opening file for writing: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ctrlr\Ctrlr-Win32.exe Click Abort to stop …". I've tried on 3 different machines with same result and sent email to developer contact with no response so far.

Any guidance?
hotfat

interested
interested

Postby wedgehed » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:08 am

hotfat wrote:I've tried to install Ctrlr (current "stable" ver 5.3.201) on Win10 with no luck. The install bombs out almost immediately with "Error opening file for writing: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ctrlr\Ctrlr-Win32.exe Click Abort to stop …". I've tried on 3 different machines with same result and sent email to developer contact with no response so far.

Any guidance?

Try to run the install as admin.
wedgehed

interested
interested

Postby hotfat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:00 pm

Thanks for the help, wedgehead. YAY! Works!
hotfat

interested
interested

Postby joshuavt » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:08 pm

This seems like a bit of a newbie question, but I could use some midi help with the 856. I’m using an iconnectivity midi hub to have logic talk to my midi devices. All I want to do is send a message to the 856 to start recording, and another to stop it. The manual says to use note 60, but it doesn’t seem to be working. The 856 is receiving midi info, because the pitch of all sets is affected when playing the attached midi keyboard, including note #60. Does anyone have ideas to what I’m missing here? Thanks in advance!
joshuavt

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby wedgehed » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:43 pm

joshuavt wrote:This seems like a bit of a newbie question, but I could use some midi help with the 856. I’m using an iconnectivity midi hub to have logic talk to my midi devices. All I want to do is send a message to the 856 to start recording, and another to stop it. The manual says to use note 60, but it doesn’t seem to be working. The 856 is receiving midi info, because the pitch of all sets is affected when playing the attached midi keyboard, including note #60. Does anyone have ideas to what I’m missing here? Thanks in advance!

The record enable/disable is midi CC (not note) 60. A message value of 0 stops recording. A message value greater than 0 starts or restarts recording.
wedgehed

interested
interested

PreviousNext

Return to Montreal Assembly