Count To Five

Moderator: multi_s

Re: Count To Five

Postby Tristan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Yay, mine arrived here too! :yay: :D
Just a question, how do you guys put it in quantized mode 1?
I tried to follow Scott's steps but in this short time experimenting with the Count To Five I haven't been able to get it out of Goodbye 24 mode 1 yet. :?:
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby John » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:10 pm

God damn I hate you all. Buy my guitar already so I can get one of these magical mystery machines
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
John

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Eric! » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:28 pm

HOLY FFFFFFF THIS SOUNDS AMAZING
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cedarskies » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Ohmygodohmygodohmygod I'm not home right now but I just know it's there probably going to go home early to play
cedarskies

committed
committed

Postby leaves turn » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:36 pm

Can't wait for mine to ship :joy:
disclaimer: I'm an engineer with DigiTech/DOD
good deals
leaves turn

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:27 am

Tristan wrote:Yay, mine arrived here too! :yay: :D
I tried to follow Scott's steps but in this short time experimenting with the Count To Five I haven't been able to get it out of Goodbye 24 mode 1 yet. :?:

same here. :idk:
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby multi_s » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:31 am

goroth wrote:
Tristan wrote:Yay, mine arrived here too! :yay: :D

same here. :idk:

Hi,

To get quantizations:

1) Go to mode 1/gb24 mode by putting the mode toggle up.
2) Position the DIR 1 knob ccw for no quantization, 12 oclock for semitone quantization, cw for perfect fifths and octave quantization.
3) activate your quantization mode by TAPPING the soft foot switch. Tapping means just push the button briefly. Do not hold it down. For example tapping also stops playback in Modes 2 and 3.

The quantization once set affects all modes dir knobs (dir 1 in mode 2, dir 1,2,3 in mode 3).

S
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Tristan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:46 am

Ah, got it, thanks!
It doesn't completely work right away the first time around but what I do now is keep turning the DIR 1 knob to the desired point and tapping the soft footswitch quickly a few times after eachother, that seems to do the trick. :D
Also really awesome trick the quantization affects all modes! :)
There's another thing I'd like to ask, does the Count To Five have an internal trimpot for the mix / volume like the Goodbye 24?
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DarkAxel » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:10 am

PAYPAL'D YESTERDAY

now... I admit I don't usually buy stuff new (because i usually don't have the money). But last time I didn't jump on a pedal like this, I ended up not being able to get it later (GB24) :D
and I need some fuel for my textural background loops
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:45 pm

Tristan wrote:Ah, got it, thanks!
It doesn't completely work right away the first time around but what I do now is keep turning the DIR 1 knob to the desired point and tapping the soft footswitch quickly a few times after eachother, that seems to do the trick. :D

it should work the first try. the tap has to be fairly short.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Tristan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:55 pm

Guess I still need to get the right "touch" for it but it works now so that's cool. :lol:
Any word on the internal mix /volume trimpot, I remember the Goodbye 24 has one but I don't know about the Count To Five?
It's loud as balls, especially on upper interval settings, I can only turn it up halfway max without me getting shocked, joking of course, but it's kinda loud. :lol:
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:31 pm

I can't believe I missed this :facepalm:
Oh well, better late than never! Emailed!
I really shouldn't spend money on this because I'm dropping so much into my modular set up but I am not missing out on this pedal!
Looks and sounds way too good!

PS: I'd totally buy a eurorack version...
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby skullservant » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:26 pm

Just tried the quantize, so freaking cool!!!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:02 pm

Quantize is great :omg:
So is the expression jack, just started using that with the gb24 :!!!:
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:27 pm

Tristan wrote:Guess I still need to get the right "touch" for it but it works now so that's cool. :lol:
Any word on the internal mix /volume trimpot, I remember the Goodbye 24 has one but I don't know about the Count To Five?
It's loud as balls, especially on upper interval settings, I can only turn it up halfway max without me getting shocked, joking of course, but it's kinda loud. :lol:

It really shouldn't be that loud. There are 2 trim pots inside but 1 of them you really don't want to touch so please read this carefully and be mindful if your going to make any adjustments.

You remove the back, look in the middle of the pcb, component side, there are 2 blue trim pots. You may be able to see on the silkscreen that the one closest to the edge of the PCB says 'offset' beside it. Do not touch this trim pot.

Look at the other trim pot now, it might be hard to see with the pcb in the case but it says 'gain' beside it. You can try using a small screwdriver to turn this counter-clockwise and it will reduce the level of the signal going into the dsp, and in turn lower the volume coming out. This is the only gain adjustment that can be made user side. If it is really really off maybe there is a wrong part in the mixer section, although i tested all units before being sent out and they seem ok. So if you still have problems please email me and we can look further into it.

Keep in mind also that the pedal layers several copies of the same sound in certain settings, so for example in mode 3, with only 1 DIR knob active, the wet sound is much quieter than when all 3 heads are active. Similarly, the first mode with high feedback will seem louder than when feedback is at the min. The mix knob might not be as set and forget as you wish if you are always trying to have the clean and wet exactly even.

And now, as only half a joke, another problem in general is that your ears don't hear all frequencies evenly. So if you take a low tone and constantly pitch it up, there will be some perceived volume increase as it traverses the mids, even if it maintains exactly the same amplitude. This is why things like this exist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour and psycho acoustics is an actual field of study.

Now since the pedal doesn't track pitch at all, i make no attempt to remedy this in the firmware, save for a low pass filter that will choke out pitches that are getting piercingly high, but that's not really the same issue.

I'm not saying this to be like "oh its not the pedal, its your ears" as a cop out. I think its an interesting comment and thought you might find it an interesting reply.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Montreal Assembly