Count To Five

Moderator: multi_s

Re: Count To Five

Postby hotfat » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm curious to know how the CT5 reacts to a 100k expression pedal. Using an 8-Step, which puts out voltage and not resistance, doesn't cause this behavior.

I sent a video to Scott as he suggested, but maybe someone else here can see if their CT5 acts like mine.

I've observed the same phenomenon described by Tall Walls where the FBK/RAND/DIR3 knob acts odd when the Expression Pedal input is used and selected for DIR1 (E switch in UP position). I use a custom-built 100Kohm expression pedal with the CT5 (Rev "K", FW 0.963) that has two 100Kohm pots and a momentary contact switch to select between them providing two adjustable "presets". It appears that in MODE1 under the described conditions, no matter where the 100k Expression Pedal pot is set the FBK/RAND/DIR3 knob is "added" to the Expression Pedal setting of DIR1. The FBK/RAND/DIR3 knob still controls Feedback but it also affects the DIR1 parameter. There is similar interaction in MODE2 and 3 but I'm still trying to characterize the behavior under those conditions. At this point I don't know whether to classify this as a bug or a feature ... It does seem as though it may be an unintended consequence of the pedal's design, at least when using a relatively high resistance expression pedal.
hotfat

interested
interested

Postby multi_s » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:05 pm

i may have Tall Walls mixed with someone else as im not 100% sure of peoples aliases on ILF, but iirc this issue is caused by the E switch being defective or some other problem with the pcb that holds the switches and expression jack. At least what was happening with one unit we fixed was that the E switch looks both up and down to the cpu and so is not interpreted correctly, causing unpredictable results.

It may be a similar problem for you but you can make a quick video demonstrating the issue and then you can send it in if there is an issue. You can send the video to mtl.asm@gmail.com and i will get back to you within a day or two (currently travelling home from holidays, i will officially be back in office 28th).
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ghost Hip » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:45 pm

hotfat wrote:I've observed the same phenomenon described by Tall Walls where the FBK/RAND/DIR3 knob acts odd when the Expression Pedal input is used and selected for DIR1 (E switch in UP position). I use a custom-built 100Kohm expression pedal with the CT5 (Rev "K", FW 0.963) that has two 100Kohm pots and a momentary contact switch to select between them providing two adjustable "presets". It appears that in MODE1 under the described conditions, no matter where the 100k Expression Pedal pot is set the FBK/RAND/DIR3 knob is "added" to the Expression Pedal setting of DIR1. The FBK/RAND/DIR3 knob still controls Feedback but it also affects the DIR1 parameter. There is similar interaction in MODE2 and 3 but I'm still trying to characterize the behavior under those conditions. At this point I don't know whether to classify this as a bug or a feature ... It does seem as though it may be an unintended consequence of the pedal's design, at least when using a relatively high resistance expression pedal.

Mine does this as well but I found with the expression switch down the pedal acts normally so I haven't bothered to look into it more.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby multi_s » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:26 pm

hmm ok i will double check again, if it is a bug i will make an update later this week.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ghost Hip » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 am

I should have probably mentioned I haven't updated mine since I got it. So not sure if any of the updated would've fixed this already, myself.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

Ghost Hip

Postby multi_s » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:19 pm

Ghost Hip wrote:
hotfat wrote:I've observed the same phenomenon described by Tall Walls where the FBK/RAND/DIR3 knob acts odd when the Expression Pedal input is used and selected for DIR1 (E switch in UP position). I use a custom-built 100Kohm expression pedal with the CT5 (Rev "K", FW 0.963) that has two 100Kohm pots and a momentary contact switch to select between them providing two adjustable "presets". It appears that in MODE1 under the described conditions, no matter where the 100k Expression Pedal pot is set the FBK/RAND/DIR3 knob is "added" to the Expression Pedal setting of DIR1. The FBK/RAND/DIR3 knob still controls Feedback but it also affects the DIR1 parameter. There is similar interaction in MODE2 and 3 but I'm still trying to characterize the behavior under those conditions. At this point I don't know whether to classify this as a bug or a feature ... It does seem as though it may be an unintended consequence of the pedal's design, at least when using a relatively high resistance expression pedal.

Mine does this as well but I found with the expression switch down the pedal acts normally so I haven't bothered to look into it more.

Hi

I checked again today, at least from how I interpret the setting from hotfat i can not duplicate the issue. the fbk knob does not interact with the dir 1 setting in mode 1, expression plugged in or not, E switch in any position.

if you make me a short video i can duplicate exactly your settings, make a video of it and compare. just email it to mtl.asm@gmail.com (hotfat or ghost hip)

s
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ghost Hip » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:35 pm

multi_s wrote:
Ghost Hip wrote:

Hi

I checked again today, at least from how I interpret the setting from hotfat i can not duplicate the issue. the fbk knob does not interact with the dir 1 setting in mode 1, expression plugged in or not, E switch in any position.

if you make me a short video i can duplicate exactly your settings, make a video of it and compare. just email it to mtl.asm@gmail.com (hotfat or ghost hip)

s

I'll try to make a quick video tonight. I don't own or use an expression pedal but the exp mode switch does affect the behavior of the knobs for me.
Youtube Channel?

Ghost Hip

Postby multi_s » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:59 pm

yes thanks if you can send it that is great. my guess is most likely there is a short on the switch pcb, which can be fixed no problem, it just does not seem like it is actually a bug in the fw, but again maybe if i see exactly what you are doing i can confirm.

thanks
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ghost Hip » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:57 am

Welp, I went to record me playing with it and alas, the weird knob issue did not occur. :facepalm: :lol: It has been months since I noticed the odd behavior and since then I had it set in the 3rd expression mode (which at the time seemed to remove the issue and the knobs acted as they should) since I primarily use it as a pitch shifter/delay.
Youtube Channel?

Ghost Hip

Postby multi_s » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:00 pm

ok well if it acts up again... let me know.

the only thing thought of last night, from the description of the issue, but could happen with a functional unit and some confusion is basically this: feedback will change the pitches you hear because the pitch changes with each repeat, so if you have lots of feedback (many repeats) you hear more pitches BUT it is not the same as what dir 1 does, which effectively sets the change per repeat. So perhaps this causes some confusion since both fbk and dir 1 do change the additional pitches heard, however they are changing different things in the algorithm which i believe are easy to hear if you play with it, so i doubt this is what was teh original issue but....

s
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby hotfat » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:07 am

Scott,
I just sent you a link to a video that will hopefully illustrate this deal. I know what you're saying about the FBK parameter and repeats changing pitch but this is definitely a different thing.
-Tim
hotfat

interested
interested

Postby hip_modernism » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:18 pm

Epilogue to this post from back in October wherein I was getting a high pitched whine noise from my Ct5 on shared power of any kind.

http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=206&t=43246&p=1255985#p1255952

I purchased a "hum destroyer" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BARTW3I/ and placed it like:

[other pedals] --> [hum destroy] --> [ct5]

And it got rid of the issue. Thanks again to all for troubleshooting with me.
hip_modernism

interested
interested

Postby Ghost Hip » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Finally caught it acting up! The knobs change their purpose or lose function completely depending on where the exp mode is set. I'm pretty rusty on using mode 2, so excuse my bumbling in the end, i was cloudy on which knob did what.

Rev K. Preordered in later 2015, received early 2016. I have not updated it, so this could be fixed by one of the updates already?

Youtube Channel?

Ghost Hip

Postby multi_s » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:30 pm

Ghost Hip wrote:Finally caught it acting up! The knobs change their purpose or lose function completely depending on where the exp mode is set. I'm pretty rusty on using mode 2, so excuse my bumbling in the end, i was cloudy on which knob did what.

Rev K. Preordered in later 2015, received early 2016. I have not updated it, so this could be fixed by one of the updates already?

hi,

thanks for sharing, there is definitely an issue with your pedal. the issue you showed will not be fixed with a firmware update.

you can send it back via these instructions: http://mtlasm.blogspot.ca/p/return.html

possibly why:

it looks partially that what is going on is the pedal thinks an expression pedal is plugged in when it is not which is why some of the pots are going dead, its always the pot chosen by your e switch (if it is DIR1 pr LEN S being replaced in mode 1 and 2). In mode 3 the expression pedal always sweeps DIR 1 so that is why in mode 3 it is a bit different what goes dead (ie always DIR1). it also looks like the fbk knob is taking on whatever function the expression pedal should be doing. This is why with e switch down in mode 1 and 2 it seems to work fine with e switch down, since fbk knob replaces... fbk knob?

anyway this is most likely caused by a short and/or a defective expression jack so please feel free to send it in and we can make it function as it should. you can email me direct at mtl.asm@gmail.com if you have any more questions about how to send it in that aren't answered on the above page.

s
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ghost Hip » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:47 pm

Oh dang, I will see if I can get it out this week sometime. I will email you when I do. Thanks!
Youtube Channel?

Ghost Hip

PreviousNext

Return to Montreal Assembly