Count To Five

Moderator: multi_s

Re: Count To Five

Postby codetocontra » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:56 pm

Volto doesn't isolate the outputs. All the grounds are shared between pedals. Digital pedals can have noise when connected to certain other pedals.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby codetocontra » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:56 pm

Volto doesn't isolate the outputs. All the grounds are shared between pedals. Digital pedals can have noise when connected to certain other pedals.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:00 am

There is also a warning against high current draw pedals - the Ct5 is in the no-man's land in terms of current - 150 mA is neither high nor low, but maybe it isn't doing nice things to the volto??

But yes, what C2C said is what I'm thinking.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby hip_modernism » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:57 pm

The other thing I'd try is if you have a DI with a ground lift handy, give that a try

Sorry a day late on testing the DI idea, my results are...weird. I didn't have a DI, so I used my re-amp box in reverse (plug input into output, output into input [output --> re-amp box --> input --> tascam portastudio input]). Results are: it got rid of the buzz! But....it did so no matter if the ground lift button was engaged or disengaged. Unfortunately this is not a workable solution as using it in this reverse way seems to scoop out a portion of the frequency so everything sounds very terrible.

I wonder if the frequency it is discarding here includes the buzz, and that's all that's happening. I put the re-amp box for testing at the end of the chain, after the Ct5. If I moved it to the beginning of the chain and cabled it how it's supposed to be used (at the beginning of the chain, [input --> re-amp box --> output]) it didn't get rid of the buzz (and the audio quality was fine other than the buzz).

Finally, if I use the re-amp as last in the chain, cabled correctly [input --> re-amp box box --> output --> portastudio] it's completely inaudible, so I can't test in that configuration.

the Ct5 is in the no-man's land in terms of current - 150 mA is neither high nor low, but maybe it isn't doing nice things to the volto??

I hear that, FWIW I did test the highest draw digital pedal I have, a Flashback Triple Delay which draws 300ma and no buzz/or any problems with the Volto. But is it apples to apples, does the Triple Delay draw at the same steady rate or just go up to that some times...i dunno.

Scott said he might buy a Volto and do some testing himself, I'll report back if he tries it and out finds something.

Meanwhile if anyone stumbles on this that happens to have both a volto and ct5, if you feel like testing the following chain [instrument -> any random pedal -> ct5 -> amp] where both random pedal and ct5 are powered by volto, and sharing if you get any unwanted buzzing sound would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for helping me think through this goroth, DRodriguez & codetocontra.
hip_modernism

interested
interested

Postby codetocontra » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Do you have a friend that has an isolated power supply you could try? This problem occurs with some high current pedals have daisy chained power with other pedals. For instance, I think people had issues with the Strymon Timeline when using a 1Spot, which would be non-isolated like the Volto.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby hip_modernism » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:20 pm

Do you have a friend that has an isolated power supply you could try?

Do you mean like a voodoo labs etc type supply where i plug both pedals into their own isolated supply? I don't :(

In case it's buried back in too many posts, I did plug the Ct5 directly into power by itself with a boss power supply, and then plug other pedals in via the volto, and no buzzing encountered.

This thread seems to confirm what you say about the daisy chaining digital pedals, talking about a volto + timeline:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... s.1336590/

Although I found examples of people saying their bluesky pedals worked okay with volto too, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Less power draw on those for sure, and specifically digital delay seems to be the most problematic with the volto.
hip_modernism

interested
interested

Postby codetocontra » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Voodoo Labs, Cioks, Walrus, Strymon, Visual Sound all make isolated power supplies. Plus more. The problems aren't always there, but it is somehow the interaction of certain high current pedal (like your CT5) and some other pedal (gain, compressor, other high current pedal, etc...) while sharing the same ground from the power supply. An isolated power supply removes the shared connection so this is not a problem. The fact that you isolated the CT5 by powering it separately and the noise disappeared is great evidence that this is your problem.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby hip_modernism » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:06 pm

The problems aren't always there, but it is somehow the interaction of certain high current pedal (like your CT5) and some other pedal (gain, compressor, other high current pedal, etc...)

Gah, so this made me realize there is another thing I can test...eliminate the volto completely, and daisy chain a Ct5 + other pedal off of a traditional boss wall wart + daisy chain.

Aaaaand the buzz is there when I do this too. So 100% nothing to do with the Volto :facepalm:

I can't do it right now, but I think next thing I will try is haul out my amp and plug into that (I am currently running direct into a Tascam Portastudio DP-008EX). I might also try it in another room to see if it's an environmental factor.

Feeling a little silly right now....
hip_modernism

interested
interested

Postby hip_modernism » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:15 pm

Oh and point is taken about using an isolated power supply, and that it's the recommended way to power pretty much any pedal really.

It's just odd to me that it's happening with every pedal I've paired the Ct5 with (mxr dynacomp, neunaber wet, your & you're, flash back triple delay), and I don't remember this happening in the past with this pedal. It makes me wonder if there is something environmental or somehow running this into the portastudio is part of the issue. Or a cable or something else weird.

Probably just in denial over here.
hip_modernism

interested
interested

Postby damnableman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:18 am

FWIW I've daisy-chained my CT5 with any number of pedals on a supply with adequate amperage and never had a problem with buzzing.
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby Tall Walls » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:55 am

I've noticed a peculiar thing with my CT5. If I have an expression pedal (Moog EP3) plugged in and the EXP toggle in the up position (so controlling DIR 1), turning the FBK/RAND/DIR 3 knob changes the pitch of whatever is looping/repeating. It can change the pitch somewhere in the neighborhood of a minor third. I noticed it first in Mode 3, but it seems to work the same way in all modes. It hasn't been a problem at all, but it's strange, isn't it?

As an aside, I meant to chime in months ago when people were noticing that it's been hard to get a clean loop in Mode 3 since the last firmware update. On a good day I can anticipate exactly how long the latency is between when my foot leaves the switch and when the loop actually starts looping, but most of the time I end up failing five or six times before I get a good gapless loop going.
Tall Walls

committed
committed

Postby Tall Walls » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:09 pm

DRodriguez wrote:I was talking the other day, a dream pedal for me would be the Ct5 mode 3 with only 1 head. Where an expression pedal would work like a tape head position controller. Toe all the way down would be the end of the loop. Heel down would be start of the loop. That way you could manually scrub a loop including pitch via your speed.

Bonus points if the loop could auto-reverse when you get to toe down or heel down. So you could loop it by rocking your foot back and forth.

While I'm over here whispering to myself, I might as well say that this sounds like a great idea to me.
Tall Walls

committed
committed

Postby multi_s » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Tall Walls wrote:I've noticed a peculiar thing with my CT5. If I have an expression pedal (Moog EP3) plugged in and the EXP toggle in the up position (so controlling DIR 1), turning the FBK/RAND/DIR 3 knob changes the pitch of whatever is looping/repeating. It can change the pitch somewhere in the neighborhood of a minor third. I noticed it first in Mode 3, but it seems to work the same way in all modes. It hasn't been a problem at all, but it's strange, isn't it?

Hi

it should not do this, but can you send a short video demonstrating the issue to mtl.asm@gmail.com then i can say for sure/do the same test here and show you what to expect.

s
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby adamajah » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 pm

multi_s wrote:
Tall Walls wrote:I've noticed a peculiar thing with my CT5. If I have an expression pedal (Moog EP3) plugged in and the EXP toggle in the up position (so controlling DIR 1), turning the FBK/RAND/DIR 3 knob changes the pitch of whatever is looping/repeating. It can change the pitch somewhere in the neighborhood of a minor third. I noticed it first in Mode 3, but it seems to work the same way in all modes. It hasn't been a problem at all, but it's strange, isn't it?

Hi

it should not do this, but can you send a short video demonstrating the issue to mtl.asm@gmail.com then i can say for sure/do the same test here and show you what to expect.

s

And better yet make a song quick before the ghost in the machine moves to another pedal :eek:
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby Jwar » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:50 am

I really want one of these again. Sigh.

Any word on the next run? I don't mind waiting. :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to Montreal Assembly