Pickup installation woes

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Pickup installation woes

Postby Gunner Recall » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:33 pm

As per my humbucker thread in Gear, I got some new humbuckers for my toronado (along with triple shot switching mounting rings).

I hooked everything up for the neck pup but there seems to be severely low output. Clean I can't even hear anything.
If I hit it hard with a distortion/fuzz (going above unity) I get a signal but the sound actually comes out clean :?:

Some light reading if anyone can help:
Toronado wiring: http://support.fender.com/diagrams/other/0260700_550A/SD0260700_550APg2.pdf
Triple shot wiring: http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/products/electric/humbuckers/triple_shot_diagram.pdf

oh and I'm installing a dimarzio humbucker, so the color codes are different from SD (I'm actually about to go double check I didn't mix any of those up)

I'm a total DIY noob, I'm just starting to experiment with breadboards and I've done 1 other pickup swap (on a single humbucker/single vol guitar, that was a cakewalk).
There are some that call me...morningstaru?
Gunner Recall

Re: Pickup installation woes

Postby Gunner Recall » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:11 pm

After triple checking everything with the multimeter and re-doing the soldering a few times it appears the problem was with the triple shots themselves...
I wired it up without the extra switching and it works fine. No split coils for the neck pos (at least for now) :(

Now I just need to wait for dimarzio to drill/tap my crunchlab and I can try the other triple shot to see if the first was defective :mad:
What a fucking nightmare.
Gunner Recall

Postby stanimal » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:50 pm

Hmmmm those triple shot rings are a very cool idea... What's the output of the pickups? I split humbuckers before and the only time I had the problem you are having was when the buckers themselves had low output and didn't like being out of phase... But it could be the triple shot...
blooghost wrote: I am here because Heaven is for fucking squares and Hell has no fuzz :animal:

Officer Bukowski wrote:Sorry like half of the people I know are fictional tv characters.

devi ever wrote:Seriously... nothing but ultimate holy fuzz love for you guys. :love: :hug:
stanimal

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Gunner Recall » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:19 pm

The neck is a dimarzio liquifire, 10.75k/300
The switches didn't seem to do anything when I had it hooked up, so I'm pretty sure they were just flat out not working.

They really are a great idea for somebody who doesnt want to fuss with push/pull pots, and the switches feel pretty solid and are in an easy to reach (but enough out of the way) spot.
Hopefully I can get the other one working, it will probably be more useful in the hotter bridge pup anyway.
Gunner Recall

Postby stanimal » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:50 am

Gunner Recall wrote:....it will probably be more useful in the hotter bridge pup anyway.

AGREE I have a Duncan hot rails 15k in the bridge of my tele and when I split it sounds very similar to a standard PAF which makes me all giggly inside.... But still you want to get what you freaking paid for....!!
blooghost wrote: I am here because Heaven is for fucking squares and Hell has no fuzz :animal:

Officer Bukowski wrote:Sorry like half of the people I know are fictional tv characters.

devi ever wrote:Seriously... nothing but ultimate holy fuzz love for you guys. :love: :hug:
stanimal

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects