wires for guitar

Moderator: Ghost Hip

wires for guitar

Postby alterdcrash » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:45 pm

i have a strat style guitar and it has no wires at all and its been sitting in the closet for months.i just want one humbucker,can i connect the humbucker to the volume pot and not have a tone pot? and i need to connect the input jack to the volume pot aswell,is there anywhere i can buy wires here online?
alterdcrash

committed
committed

Re: wires for guitar

Postby TheAttackman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:47 pm

[url]pedalpartsplus.com[/url]
:thumb:
TheAttackman

experienced
experienced

Re: wires for guitar

Postby McSpunckle » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:35 am

alterdcrash wrote:i have a strat style guitar and it has no wires at all and its been sitting in the closet for months.i just want one humbucker,can i connect the humbucker to the volume pot and not have a tone pot? and i need to connect the input jack to the volume pot aswell,is there anywhere i can buy wires here online?

www.bulkwire.com

For simple guitars, I'd generally recommend about 22 awg stranded hookup wire. Solid's fine too.

And here's a wiring diagram for this setup:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wi ... =1hum_1vol

If you're not using a Seymour Duncan pickup, the colours coming from the pickup will be different.

It's totally OK to wire it without a tone pot. The tone won't be the same as if it was there, though. The tone pot is never "all the way" up. It's always cutting some high end. I'd recommend using a 250K volume pot to make up for it, but it'll still probably be brighter. If super bright tone is what you're going for, though, don't worry about it.

If you want a cheaper way to simulate a tone pot, all you need is a capacitor and resistor in the value you were gonna use for the control. Say, you were doing the standard Fender thing with a 250K pot and .05uF cap. You'd use the same cap and a 250K resistor. You'd just the leads of one end of each component together, then solder them. Then, solder the other leads across the lugs of the output jack. Now, it will sound the same as if you had the tone knob, and it was all the way up.
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects