Rickenbacker 325 advice column

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Rickenbacker 325 advice column

Postby frodog » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:35 pm

So my friend has this 1997 reissue 325 that he got for cheap back then... but it ended up languishing in its (also very cool) case, due partly to intonation/bridge issues? Anyway, he wanted me to borrow it to play and maybe get opinions from forumites as well (that's where you come in). I know some people here are Ric fans. I don't have much experience with them save for this one and a 481 my buddy also has. The 325 sounds gorgeous when the tuning is on point, unfortunately that doesn't last too long. It has been upgraded recently with vintage style Gotoh Magnum locking tuners, which may have helped to some degree.

The bridge is the next possible problem, as you can see in the picture the saddles are adjusted all the way back. I've seen that Mastery makes a bridge for Rics, the M5 - has anyone here tried that? It seems it would be a better match with the vib system as well.

Here is a picture, I can take more if wanted:

Ric_325.jpg
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Rickenbacker 325 help

Postby JTurbide » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:39 pm

I'd definitely mess with the bridge saddles, the intonation must be fucked as well lol. If you don't feel comfortable doing it bring it to a tech and they will set it up how it should be and tell you if there is still a tuning problem and what is causing it.
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Re: Rickenbacker 325 advice column

Postby repoman » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Vast majority of tuning issues are poorly cut nut or saddle slots. I had a Ric 620 and it was awesome but both the bridge and nut slots were made very wonky and needed work.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Rickenbacker 325 advice column

Postby frodog » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:22 pm

JTurbide, I would bring this to a tech, but the nearest shop is in a weird situation so there's concern it might get stuck there for some time. I gathered my friend would rather just fix it himself, like installing a Mastery bridge if that was something other people had found helpful on their Rics. I'll mess with the intonation, but I don't have like files to deal with the saddles.

repoman wrote:Vast majority of tuning issues are poorly cut nut or saddle slots. I had a Ric 620 and it was awesome but both the bridge and nut slots were made very wonky and needed work.

Yeah, looking at the saddles now they have a rough-cut look. The whole guitar is super well made though, electronics are solid, many tonal options...

sad.jpg
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects