Bitchpudding builds an RD!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Bitchpudding builds an RD!

Postby BitchPudding » Sat May 19, 2018 9:33 pm

Hey y'all!

So I'm about a week away from having all the cash I need to get this RD kit from Pit Bull guitars:

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-rd-1-electric-guitar-kit/?v=c2f3f489a005

So i figured it was about time that I made a thread dedicated to the build!

This will be the first time I build a guitar, and I'm super excited to get going with this project.

However, before it gets here and the build begins, I have a few questions for our friendly neighborhood fuzzbros.

First of all, I was thinking of staining the wood red. I want it to be transparent so you can still see the wood grain. Kinda like some nicer SG's. I'm also not opposed to leaving it unfinished. What I wanna know is what would I use to get that finish color and how hard is it to pull off? And if I do leave it unfinished, is that a good idea or no?

I also wanna wire it so that when its in the middle position its out of phase. Any guides to that would be great.

Thanks y'all. :hello:
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Bitchpudding builds an RD!

Postby neonblack » Sun May 20, 2018 12:56 am

Consider adding a series/parallel switch. Can really add some beef!
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun May 20, 2018 12:41 pm

BitchPudding wrote:First of all, I was thinking of staining the wood red. I want it to be transparent so you can still see the wood grain. Kinda like some nicer SG's. I'm also not opposed to leaving it unfinished. What I wanna know is what would I use to get that finish color and how hard is it to pull off? And if I do leave it unfinished, is that a good idea or no?

First of all.. staining is no big deal at all. What IS is choosing what finish you use with what stain you use.
Example I know for a fact that the dye that Stu mac sells reacts very badly with natural oil finishes such as: Tru oil, linseed oil, tung oil, waterlox and teak oil, and you have to use a lacquer or poly sprayed finish. Woodburst is a tung oil base stain BUT if you don't add something like naphtha to cut it it will make your finish stay tacky.. for ever.. Powered wood dyes like what LMI sell and stuff you find in woodworking store are awesome but you have to be careful about applying it evenly, you really want to test the color mix on scrap until you have what you want and then mix enough to do the whole thing in one go otherwise you will light and dark patches. My all time favorite is [this what I used on my orange bassVI and my upright] is a mixture of waterlox high gloss finish and artist oil here is my mini tutorial on that viewtopic.php?f=192&t=36508&p=690744&hilit=waterlox#p690744 basically what I am saying is read read read, test test test and you will be fine :thumb:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby BitchPudding » Sun May 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:
BitchPudding wrote:First of all, I was thinking of staining the wood red. I want it to be transparent so you can still see the wood grain. Kinda like some nicer SG's. I'm also not opposed to leaving it unfinished. What I wanna know is what would I use to get that finish color and how hard is it to pull off? And if I do leave it unfinished, is that a good idea or no?

First of all.. staining is no big deal at all. What IS is choosing what finish you use with what stain you use.
Example I know for a fact that the dye that Stu mac sells reacts very badly with natural oil finishes such as: Tru oil, linseed oil, tung oil, waterlox and teak oil, and you have to use a lacquer or poly sprayed finish. Woodburst is a tung oil base stain BUT if you don't add something like naphtha to cut it it will make your finish stay tacky.. for ever.. Powered wood dyes like what LMI sell and stuff you find in woodworking store are awesome but you have to be careful about applying it evenly, you really want to test the color mix on scrap until you have what you want and then mix enough to do the whole thing in one go otherwise you will light and dark patches. My all time favorite is [this what I used on my orange bassVI and my upright] is a mixture of waterlox high gloss finish and artist oil here is my mini tutorial on that viewtopic.php?f=192&t=36508&p=690744&hilit=waterlox#p690744 basically what I am saying is read read read, test test test and you will be fine :thumb:

Eyy, I was hoping you'd reply! Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely test out some mixes before going all in.

neonblack wrote:Consider adding a series/parallel switch. Can really add some beef!

I mean, definitely could. But I'm not sure I'd ever switch off the out of phase thing. I love that sound. Just need to know how to wire it that way, since it was done totally by accident on my SG. haha
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun May 20, 2018 1:10 pm

BitchPudding wrote:[
neonblack wrote:Consider adding a series/parallel switch. Can really add some beef!

I mean, definitely could. But I'm not sure I'd ever switch off the out of phase thing. I love that sound. Just need to know how to wire it that way, since it was done totally by accident on my SG. haha

All you have to do is wire the start and finish wires in reverse.. you will want pickups with a 5 conductor wire... pulling apart pafs and changing the phase is a PAIN!
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby ThurberMingus » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 pm

I stained my Jazzer with Office Depot ink! Took a few days/coats for the color to settle in though, then a few days of treating with Tung Oil.
neonblack wrote:SELL IT!

Don't form emotional bonds with metal boxes.

Live like me. Flip everything. Romanticize nothing. Accomplish nothing.

lost in music wrote:Digivolve into champions!
ThurberMingus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects