Strat Abuse - What should I do with this guitar?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Strat Abuse - What should I do with this guitar?

Postby Jero » Fri May 11, 2018 3:38 pm

I picked up this Squier Standard a while back for $50 :snax:

Neck was dirty (grime and edged) so I filed the burs on the fret ends, and cleaned it up real good. The selector switch is finicky...I still need to fix that, and give it a set-up. Action is quite high.

At some point I decided to start cutting and sanding parts off :idk: (maybe a mistake, but whatever, I got bored)...Can't decide where to go from here. Tempted to pull some meat off the lower horn to go with the upper. Might leave the, "well past relic'd and I'm too lazy to finish it" motif...or commit and give it a color stain or something...

Thoughts on that pick guard? Leave the blinding mirror, replace with a diff color, or cover in cool stickers?...I'm leaning towards stickers.

...Kind of want to build a circuit into it, or do some weird pickup stuff :animal:

ImageImage

ps. chiseling that finish doesn't work very well
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Strat Abuse - What should I do with this guitar?

Postby Jero » Fri May 11, 2018 9:29 pm

21 views and no thoughts? Wrong subforum? Perhaps the hack jobs thread...

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri May 11, 2018 9:38 pm

:lol: Was gonna comment on it earlier. :idk: Can't really decide what I'd do. :wha?:

I like it other than the chiseling. :idk: That pickguard's gotta go though. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby adamajah » Sat May 12, 2018 12:37 am

I like what you did to the horn. I'd leave the shape alone now, but ditch the bad relic job look. Sticker it up, and/or paint that baby pink. The mirror pickguard could work if you vandalize it somehow. ;)
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Sat May 12, 2018 7:28 am

Put a jazz bass pickup in it.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Sat May 12, 2018 7:30 am

Or less stupidly.
Goldfoils.

Or wind your own.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby imJonWain » Sat May 12, 2018 8:28 am

You need to sand or use a heat gun to get the finish off.
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby gnomethrone » Sat May 12, 2018 10:58 am

Visual: Just spray slime green over the body as is and do one coat of matte black paint on the pick guard so as you play it your pick scrapes will be reflective.

Guts: got any pickups laying around? Also carve out more room under the pickguard and put a delay in there so you can either twist a knob to change delay time or mash an arcade button as tap tempo and make sweet laser noises.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat May 12, 2018 12:11 pm

Chankgeez wrote::lol: Was gonna comment on it earlier. :idk: Can't really decide what I'd do. :wha?:
I like it other than the chiseling. :idk: That pickguard's gotta go though. :snax:

The chiseling was a big fail on my part...especially where it leads to the neck plate :no: :facepalm:
I tried the heat gun thing to remove the finish and was using the chisel to help scrape things, which worked for a minute...then crrrack. Not enough heat I guess.
Not something I'm gonna do again either way :idk:

:idea: what if I did one of my "drip" finishes on the pick guard...coming out the pickup holes!

adamajah wrote:I like what you did to the horn. I'd leave the shape alone now, but ditch the bad relic job look. Sticker it up, and/or paint that baby pink. The mirror pickguard could work if you vandalize it somehow. ;)

Thanks! I think I started out wanted to make something between a Musicmaster and a G&L Fallout...but stopped there. I need to clean that area up with some hand sanding, but figured I'd hold off as I assumed I'd eventually finish sanding the whole thing.
I should say, that wasn't my attempt at a relic job. That's was my, work on this for a while, get bored/distracted, go to something else :lol:
Part of me wants to go all the way to wood and stain it. Painting would be easier, or stickers, like you said...My first bass was covered in stickers (naturally), and it was awesome.

goroth wrote:Or less stupidly.
Goldfoils.
Or wind your own.

:cool: that would be neat. I've never used them. I think that middle position is where I'll put some odd pup. It's routed for H/H/H if I remember correctly so I've got options. Bass pickup would be interesting. I think someone did that recently, and had it turned at an angle so the magnets met with the strings better :idea:

imJonWain wrote:You need to sand or use a heat gun to get the finish off.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm very familiar with the concept of sanding though...that's how I got through the finish in the first place ;) I just never finished
The heat gun shit though is a waste of time IMO, and how that back got all fucked up in the first place.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat May 12, 2018 12:32 pm

gnomethrone wrote:Visual: Just spray slime green over the body as is and do one coat of matte black paint on the pick guard so as you play it your pick scrapes will be reflective.

Guts: got any pickups laying around? Also carve out more room under the pickguard and put a delay in there so you can either twist a knob to change delay time or mash an arcade button as tap tempo and make sweet laser noises.

:drool: high five for that one (creature skateboards guitar anyone?) I'm a sloppy ham fisted fool too. That paint will be shredded :animal:
I don't have any extra pickups, but I could mangle whats inside, or get others. Really like the look/idea of arcade buttons. A delay or oscillating fuzz would be killer.
...I like sweet laser noises.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue May 15, 2018 5:33 pm

Fill those ruts with some titebond and sawdust and sand flush when dry ;) it's only a Squire but no point in tempting a cracked pocket. I think some rudely obnoxious color pattern and arcade buttons could be dope too for sure
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun May 20, 2018 12:55 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Fill those ruts with some titebond and sawdust and sand flush when dry ;) it's only a Squire but no point in tempting a cracked pocket. I think some rudely obnoxious color pattern and arcade buttons could be dope too for sure

Titebond while a great glue that I use all the time is IMOP not the best application for that as the way it is suppose to be used to dry properly, epoxy or superglue work better because that will dry harder and are easier to sand smooth and finish over later.

I think you should wait it pink and green, put a music master bass bridge on it, put a single SD invader in the middle spot and tune it tenor :thumb:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Chankgeez » Sun May 20, 2018 1:05 pm

Jero wrote:
:idea: what if I did one of my "drip" finishes on the pick guard...coming out the pickup holes!

Drap finish is an excellent :idea: :!!!: :love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Jero » Sun May 20, 2018 4:50 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:
BetterOffShred wrote:Fill those ruts with some titebond and sawdust and sand flush when dry ;) it's only a Squire but no point in tempting a cracked pocket. I think some rudely obnoxious color pattern and arcade buttons could be dope too for sure

Titebond while a great glue that I use all the time is IMOP not the best application for that as the way it is suppose to be used to dry properly, epoxy or superglue work better because that will dry harder and are easier to sand smooth and finish over later.

I think you should wait it pink and green, put a music master bass bridge on it, put a single SD invader in the middle spot and tune it tenor :thumb:

Thanks dudes! Yea I’m thinking epoxy or superglue is the way I’d go. I’ve done lots of woodwork over the years (not that you could tell from this thing so far :lol: ) and have used that method a couple times.

I checked and the middle position is routed for single coil :grumpy: but I can change that. Would I need to get a different neck? (Or what would be required to make the four string thing work?

Chankgeez wrote:
Jero wrote: :idea: what if I did one of my "drip" finishes on the pick guard...coming out the pickup holes!

Drap finish is an excellent :idea: :!!!: :love:

I think I’m gonna get an extra guard or two and give it a shot :thumb:

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Any more ideas folks? Still pondering on this one.

...I got a couple mini wolf cpu pcbs from Eric...Maybe I'll ditch the extras knobs and use master volume + Mini Wolf :animal:

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects