Pickups for drop F

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Pickups for drop F

Postby larssonn » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:27 pm

Hey fellow fuzzers.
Decided to turn here first, as the responses Ive gotten so far here is 100% good advice and what not.
Ive tuned my Les Paul Trad down to drop F and played it like that for about 2 years.
But I decided to trade it for a Hagström Superswede because of the splittable coils and 25.5” scale.
I am aware that tuning a guitar this low does make it sound very muddy, Although once I prepared it with regular strings and regular tuning it still sounded muddy Especially in comparision with the Hagström.
As someone who spent most time playing guitars and not read on about them too much I am slightly a novice and started wondering about pick ups. Are there pick ups better suited for this low tuning(saying ”better” as I doubt theres any 6-string guitar pickups made to pick up the low frequencies of F) and if so, as the coils are splittable on the Hag, is there anything I should keep in mind considering the wiring?
Also generally tuning a standard scale this low, anything else I should take into account? Ive played this tuning for years But I dont feel like Ive gotten even close to mastering it.

Best regards!
larssonn

interested
interested

Re: Pickups for drop F

Postby larssonn » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:34 pm

I shot Lace a message and they recommended their ”drop & gain”, it does actually sound like exactly what Im looking for on paper. Anyone with any input though?
larssonn

interested
interested

Postby Dr Satan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:31 pm

Maybe something from Railhammer. They make some killer sounding pickups that are half rail / half regular that would probably be good for that. The rail tends to tighten up the bass side so it doesn't sound muddy while the normal half still gives you the highs you want. Haven't tried any personally, but I can't say I've heard a video of one sounding bad. Some Reverend guitars have them stock.
Dr Satan

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:06 pm

larssonn wrote:I shot Lace a message and they recommended their ”drop & gain”, it does actually sound like exactly what Im looking for on paper. Anyone with any input though?

Lace excels at making gear for wide frequency range. You might go check over at sevenstring.org and see if anyone has more first-hand experience.. but I'd be willing to bet they will be clear as hell even in F..

I want some X-bars for my 8-string :love:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bone92 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:50 pm

Conan plays in Drop F and their guitarist uses lace Nitro Hemis.
Bone92

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby whoismarykelly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:00 pm

Scale length is doing more to affect your tone at 25.5" than pickups. You might consider getting an instrument with a 27+ inch scale length to help with clarity. Then pickup selection will make a kore notable difference.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects