QUESTION: Frankenstratting

Moderator: Ghost Hip

QUESTION: Frankenstratting

Postby dismembermentplanned » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:08 am

I know nothing about anything, so: Would I suffer from any weird tuning/intonation/whatever issues if I stuck a Jimi Hendrix reverse headstock strat neck on an Ed O'Brien strat body? I'm aware this would essentially be a Jimi O'Brien strat, and that sounds like a minor character from Boardwalk Empire or something, but plz indulge me. Thanks, I love you and I'm in love with you
dismembermentplanned

involved
involved

Re: QUESTION: Frankenstratting

Postby kosta » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:49 am

No intonation issues, but you’ll need to redo the nut to accommodate the reversed string gauges if you use a flipped lefty neck. A flipped lefty neck will also probably not have the side markers on the reverse side. Warmoth and other places make “right hand reverse” necks that just have the headstock flipped, so they still have the side markers on the bass side and they’d ship with a right handed nut.

People do say that the playing feel is slightly different due to the different string tension caused by the reversed lengths of string behind the nut.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Re: QUESTION: Frankenstratting

Postby dismembermentplanned » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:59 am

Awesome, thank you. I've got a lead on an actual Hendrix sig neck, so that does away with all the dot/nut issues too. Perfect!
dismembermentplanned

involved
involved

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects