· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Guitar tech, wiring, maintenance, projects, SOS calls, and more!
Post a reply

Finish over finish

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:27 am

So I'm looking into buying a new guitar and have had the idea of putting a thin layer or two of a different finish over whatever happens to be on the guitar I end up with. Ideally the goal is to have the new finish wear off (not flake) so that the old one peaks through eventually.

Any recommendations for achieving this? I'm assuming I should do some light sanding to achieve better cohesion between the layers, but beyond that I'm pretty uncertain. Also any recommendations for some good spray paint brands and/or types for this project would be recommended!

Re: Finish over finish

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:37 pm

I've done this.

My official advise is: find out what the chemical makeup of the finish already on the guitar and use the exact same thing.

My unofficial advise is: try stuff :thumb:

How to achieve wear: it depend on how you want it to look. What I did above is like you said I shot a light coat and then wetsanded it with 600grit until it looked like that. If I was going to go for a natural wear look I'd use a buffer with a fine compound and slowly buff through the coats :idk:

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:40 pm

ooooo I like that! Good advice though. Most likely going to be a polyester paint, so I suppose it's time to start searching for the right color.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:25 pm

That looks awesome, Muddy!
Post a reply