Pickup suggestions

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Pickup suggestions

Postby PeteeBee » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:19 pm

Hey, I know there are a lot of suggestions on the internet, but I in general trust this site more and can't find anything super relevant from here.

I have a ephiphone dot that dddamon gave me (forever thanks, seriously unbelievably generous)
I want to put my Blk/Tri Ghost Coil in the neck, and something else in the bridge. I used to have a dimarzio dominion in the bridge of an SG that I was very fond of, so I might do that again. The most important thing for me is that it be balanced and articulate. This is my only guitar so I can't have anything really genre specific in it. When I read descriptions of imperial low winds and seth lovers they sound about perfect to my ears, but I don't know it it'll actually sound how I want. Words like "warm and articulate" are what I'm going for. Any suggestions are welcome!
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Pickup suggestions

Postby neonblack » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Are you set on a true humbucker? There are some really good HB sized P90s out there.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Not particularly set on anything to be honest other than the warm/articulate tone. I like that as the standard because they seem to be almost opposite terms unless something is really special. I've never had a P90. Any P90 recommendations?
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby gnomethrone » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:08 pm

I've got a GFS mean 90 in my parts bin you could try out. Its a totally decent but cheap humbucker sized p90. I like it but I can't hang with single coil hum.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby lumena » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:12 pm

I had a sheptone in a jazz box that I had. Hated the guitar but loved the pickup.
Really a lot like a lollar and they can be more custom if you like.
Price is about half what a lollar costs.
https://www.sheptone.com/

Also the charlie christian from vintage vibe in humbucker size is great i have that in my sheraton.
Vintage vibe pickups are available with swapable magnents so if you buy a few extras you can change the sound without changing the pickup. Also good prices
http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/pickups.html
FASHION PASSES STYLE REMAINS
lumena

committed
committed

Postby PeteeBee » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:22 pm

Those sheptones look awesome. Especially the 6t8. I think I want to stick with a humbucker, I really don’t like dealing with hum. I still might spend some time on the Seymour Duncan page. Idk why but I like the idea of keeping this pretty standard issue
Suffering suits you.

PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:55 pm

How beefy are you thinking? I feel like that ghost coil is probably pretty hot right?
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:14 am

neonblack wrote:How beefy are you thinking? I feel like that ghost coil is probably pretty hot right?

Not super beefy. Most of my music is in the world of pretty. Either ambient stuff or indie/gaze/whatever.
Ghost coil is 7.5k from the website, so not actually all that hot.
Suffering suits you.

PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PeteeBee » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:57 am

Just went ahead and ordered the imperial low wind. I’ve never done a pickup swap. Is this something reasonable to do at home with only a little soldering experience? The internet makes it seem like it’s a real pain in the ass in a semi hollow.
Suffering suits you.

PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lumena » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:24 am

I have done this on my Sheraton and a Dot is pretty much the same. I use string but most techs use tubing. Both ways work.
Here’s how i have done it.
Obiviously getting them out is not too hard, it’s putting the back :)

I use a small String tied around the stem of each of the pots before putting them back.
One string per pot.

Drop the pots in the guitar and depending on your hand size move them close to holes,try not to to get the wires crossed.
Then one at a time pull the pots in the holes using the string,slide nut down string and loosely tighten each nut.
Then get each one aligned perfect and tighten it down. I use a finger to secure position on the ones I can reach.
First time is scary after that is pretty quick.
Most techs charge 40$ for it so you can always bail if you feel unsure, I am pretty cheap about electronics and i am more willing to put the money into frets an setup. A good fret job and new pickups means forget buying a gibson.
Good luck.
FASHION PASSES STYLE REMAINS
lumena

committed
committed

Postby PeteeBee » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:13 am

Oh cool! That actually seems doable. I just kept thinking about how hard it can be to get a pic out of an acoustic. The string trick seems better.
Suffering suits you.

PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects