· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Guitar tech, wiring, maintenance, projects, SOS calls, and more!
Post a reply

from 009s to 010s - trussrod adjustment? heel-adjustable

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:17 pm

I want to switch from 009s to 010s on a guitar that has a heel adjustable truss rod.
any way to predict the amount (quarter turns) the truss rod needs to adjusted?

thanks

Re: from 009s to 010s - trussrod adjustment? heel-adjustable

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:42 am

Not without knowing how your particular guitar behaves to seasonal changes and: what type of trussrod, hardness of wood, thickness of neck, length of neck, neck construction ect..

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:00 pm

As above, but also, that's such a tiny difference in string gauge that you probably aren't going to feel any difference, unless your guitar is made of wet toilet paper.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:24 pm

varies from guitar to guitar regardless of truss rod type. sometimes (usually) the slightly heavier gauge won't affect the neck angle, sometimes they'll pull really hard. mirroring what everyone has already said.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:36 am

Just gotta adjust and see what happens, more or less. The only way to mess up a truss rod adjustment (in my opinion) is to turn it so far that you break or strip the adjustment nut. I'd give it a righty-tighty quarter-turn and see how it settles in.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:52 pm

No way to predict. Also depends how picky you are with action. Im in Northern New England and leave my truss rod cover off and adjust it almost daily cuz very picky and humidity/temp swings drastically day to day.

Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:08 pm

thanks guys :)
Post a reply