EGC Bolt-on Neck Projects

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: EGC Bolt-on Neck Projects

Postby kosta » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:00 pm

Low-key gonna drop this here – I have a bolt-on EGC bass neck I can part with if anyone is looking for one. Can also supply appropriately weighted P body to match.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oldangelmidnight » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:06 pm

starmansam wrote:yeah, its one of those old EGC short scales. snagged it when it popped up on the verb a couple months back

I'd love to know if you ever decide to sell it.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:30 am

Ordered a baritone bolt on from Robot Graves. Should be here like mid-January. Planning on buying a cheap Squire strat or other knockoff for temporary use to see how I like the feel before going all the way into full blown partscaster build. Huge list of ideas, but it has to start at the neck first. Then, body? Leaning towards a JM shape but kind of tempted to find an RD or something else. Although, I really love JonnyAngle's RGI Strat build. The only other pretty solid desire is to have a vibrato, preferably a JM type so I can add a pickup behind the bridge. Always liked Bigsby though, so it might depend on what body shape I end up with and what will work or look most hawt.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby imJonWain » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:29 am

This place is near me and frequently has pretty decent sales.
https://aluminatiguitars.com/
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:26 pm

codetocontra wrote:Ordered a baritone bolt on from Robot Graves. Should be here like mid-January. Planning on buying a cheap Squire strat or other knockoff for temporary use to see how I like the feel before going all the way into full blown partscaster build. Huge list of ideas, but it has to start at the neck first. Then, body? Leaning towards a JM shape but kind of tempted to find an RD or something else. Although, I really love JonnyAngle's RGI Strat build. The only other pretty solid desire is to have a vibrato, preferably a JM type so I can add a pickup behind the bridge. Always liked Bigsby though, so it might depend on what body shape I end up with and what will work or look most hawt.

Don't get an RD body. You will have to deal with nightmare neck dive issues. You want something with a substantial upper horn like a Strat or a Jazzmaster kind of body. The Warmoth Z body would be great too. Teles/LPs/etc... are bad options for aluminum baritones.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:47 am

Fair point about the RD. JM and Strat are at the top of my list. Can't find any other body shape that interests me as much. As mentioned earlier, there is a local guy that makes bodies from reclaimed wood and I know he does JM now. That is where I am leaning at the moment. But open to finding an aluminum or acrylic/lucite body elsewhere. Pretty sure this is going to be a slow moving project.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:09 am

codetocontra wrote:Fair point about the RD. JM and Strat are at the top of my list. Can't find any other body shape that interests me as much. As mentioned earlier, there is a local guy that makes bodies from reclaimed wood and I know he does JM now. That is where I am leaning at the moment. But open to finding an aluminum or acrylic/lucite body elsewhere. Pretty sure this is going to be a slow moving project.

Building JMs and strats and shit is def boring af but for metalnecks a lot of the 'cool' bodies are terrible choices once you have a 4 pound neck instead of a 1.5 pound neck. There was some guy that got a Dunable V with a 30" scale aluminum neck and it looked like a miserable guitar to play. You'd just be holding the neck up the entire time.

You just want the upper strap button pretty close to over the 12th fret to make things enjoyable to play. IMO the benefit and coolness of a metal neck will always be a literal balancing act between the stronger tone and how much it sucks to physically manage a heavier and usually poorly balanced guitar when it comes to bolt-on projects. This is especially true for baritones. Its better to make the guitar enjoyable to play rather than just looking cool.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:48 pm

Not an EGC, but i have the chance to trade a couple of pedals for a Baguley aluminum neck. Anybody got any experience?
I have been mildly curious about aluminum necks but always thought it wouldn't be such a game changer for me, also never got the chance to try one.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:05 pm

no idea, but you might as well...if you don't like it you could probably flip it on Reverb and even profit on the deal.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby codetocontra » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:17 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:Building JMs and strats and shit is def boring af but for metalnecks a lot of the 'cool' bodies are terrible choices once you have a 4 pound neck instead of a 1.5 pound neck. There was some guy that got a Dunable V with a 30" scale aluminum neck and it looked like a miserable guitar to play. You'd just be holding the neck up the entire time.

You just want the upper strap button pretty close to over the 12th fret to make things enjoyable to play. IMO the benefit and coolness of a metal neck will always be a literal balancing act between the stronger tone and how much it sucks to physically manage a heavier and usually poorly balanced guitar when it comes to bolt-on projects. This is especially true for baritones. Its better to make the guitar enjoyable to play rather than just looking cool.

Agreed. Neck dive is quite painful. Hoping I find a good pairing that balances well. Might just skip the Squire attempt and take the neck directly to the body maker.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby oldangelmidnight » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:42 am

Dowi wrote:Not an EGC, but i have the chance to trade a couple of pedals for a Baguley aluminum neck. Anybody got any experience?
I have been mildly curious about aluminum necks but always thought it wouldn't be such a game changer for me, also never got the chance to try one.

People on Facebook love them.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cantremember » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:35 pm

Those Baguley necks look nice! Especially the anodized versions with a reverse headstock. They do look heavy though.....
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby Dowi » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:17 pm

cantremember wrote:Those Baguley necks look nice! Especially the anodized versions with a reverse headstock. They do look heavy though.....

actually the 25,5 scale is 1440g, which - correct me if i'm wrong - is a bit less than the usual EGC :idea:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:05 pm

so just over three pounds US (or ~£4.10 at current rates of exchange). that isn't nearly as bad as I'd thought. with the right Fender-esque body (i'd go with mahogany or walnut for weight distribution) you could come in at around 10 pounds gross weight. there are 90s/00s Les Pauls that are heavier.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Previous

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects