Jaguar HH Special Bridge Conversion Project

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Jaguar HH Special Bridge Conversion Project

Postby julius_deane » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:33 pm

I've decided to try to put a floating vibrato / trem on my CIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH. I keep lusting after other Jaguars, partially because I've always felt like this one is not quite genuine enough to the spirit of the line. I don't have the cash to buy another guitar and I'm NEVER going to flip this one, so PROJECT TIME! :omg:

Step 1: I bought a used Stew Mac locking vibrato tailpiece and a b-stock Buzzstop on Reverb.

My thought is that I can use cheap stuff to get the conversion done, then upgrade hardware as needed. I'm assuming I'll need the Buzzstop because I'm going to put the tailpiece far back. I realize the bridge may need to be changed soon.

Next step is to find or borrow a router.

Any advice, questions, etc.?

Current photo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16i6DOOV-_YGmUARWxEfSB6ywq_DJQi6dhQ/view?usp=sharing
i'm a grrnoise
julius_deane

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Jaguar HH Special Bridge Conversion Project

Postby weed_killer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:44 pm

I'd just swap the TOM for a roller variant if you're looking for smoother movement with the vibrato - saves time and effort switching out to a floating bridge and you keep the added stability. As far as routing, measure twice, cut once, haha. Make sure you square the edges to avoid any catching when the arm is engaged.
weed_killer

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby julius_deane » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:48 pm

weed_killer wrote:Make sure you square the edges to avoid any catching when the arm is engaged.

Do you mean so the spring doesn't catch in the cavity?
i'm a grrnoise
julius_deane

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby weed_killer » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:05 pm

julius_deane wrote:
weed_killer wrote:Make sure you square the edges to avoid any catching when the arm is engaged.

Do you mean so the spring doesn't catch in the cavity?

yeah, basically. Like this:

instead of this:

weed_killer

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby julius_deane » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:49 pm

It's done. I still plan to upgrade the bridge, probably to a Mustang, and probably the entire tail piece at some point because I can't get the lock to work on this one, but it works well, and the tuning, action, and intonation are as good as ever.

No way am I showing the cavity I hacked, including one hole that accidently went through the entire body. :erm:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMtkfCQjVcg/?taken-by=julius_deane
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMsj-g3DrZJ/?taken-by=julius_deane
i'm a grrnoise
julius_deane

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby julius_deane » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:51 pm

Oh, also, I'm going to try it without the buzzstop.
i'm a grrnoise
julius_deane

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby weed_killer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:26 pm

at first I was concerned cause the paint looked all beat up, but then I saw that it looked like before the installation, so, uh, yeah looks good! :lol: You should be able to adjust the spring tension and get the lock to work - sometimes the spring is set too tight when they put the units together. I'd detune first before adjusting it though. Also, if you're unaware, if you want to put a mustang bridge on you can pop the legs out and drill out the two holes a bit to mount it using the t-o-m studs already in there. Much easier than pulling the studs out (unless you really want the rocking movement).
weed_killer

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby julius_deane » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:14 pm

weed_killer wrote:at first I was concerned cause the paint looked all beat up, but then I saw that it looked like before the installation, so, uh, yeah looks good! :lol: You should be able to adjust the spring tension and get the lock to work - sometimes the spring is set too tight when they put the units together. I'd detune first before adjusting it though. Also, if you're unaware, if you want to put a mustang bridge on you can pop the legs out and drill out the two holes a bit to mount it using the t-o-m studs already in there. Much easier than pulling the studs out (unless you really want the rocking movement).

Ha yeah. It's mostly Sharpie ink left over from drawing on it and never getting it completely cleaned off, although its got some battle scars for sure. I've had to do some repair work, such as replacing the rhythm switch and one of the tuners.

I honestly thing Stew Mac just didn't make the button large enough, but I'll keep playing with it.

Thanks for the tip on the bridge.

Anyone have thoughts on a Mustang bridge versus a TOM replacement roller bridge, like this:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Roller-Bridge-Chrome-plated-fits-Les-Paul_p_661.html
i'm a grrnoise
julius_deane

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects