Tele Terror project - more pics! Awaiting final pickup

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Tele Terror project - more pics! Awaiting final pickup

Postby DRodriguez » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:53 am

Not sure how it's going to end up, but here's the plan.

edit:BIG thanks to Skully for helping with wiring and tech stuff beyond me. And to morange for the body. :hug:
Last edited by DRodriguez on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Tele Terror project

Postby BoatRich » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:35 pm

This looks fucking rad, but why XLR for the mid pickups? Also kill/burst?
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DRodriguez » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:50 pm

So the 6 pin xlr out would allow me to do two things.

1) I'm thinking of making a "pedal" version of the guitar controls, that would allow me to do all the switching of the weird middle pickups with my feet.
2) It allows me to have 3 different fx chains, one for each pickup, And then sum it together with a mixer (in my case the mtl.asm fewtility one). So assuming my tone circuit bandpass filter isolate things well enough, a real deep fuzz on my bass strings, and like a really gnarly cutting fuzz on my high strings. Or like make my GB 24 pitch my low strings up an octave, my high strings down, and then my middle strings go through a tremolo. Will this work, who knows? but I really want to try it.

The kill/burst buttons are like kill switches, but can also be reversed to be burst switches. Muting my pickups and only playing them when i hit the button vs. only muting when I hit them. My idea is I can be playing and then like hit the low boost to rhythmically add more bass signal or something along those lines.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:54 pm

Okay, I'm all for this idea. The foot pedal for the switch sounds really cool!
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DRodriguez » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:19 pm

p.s. BIG thanks to Skully for helping with wiring and tech stuff beyond me.

And to morange for the body.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Olin » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:38 pm

This looks insane, really looking forward to seeing it in the end. You got a colour scheme or anything lined up?
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kosta » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:39 am

Dude. You are insane. Can't wait to see where this goes.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:08 am

This is badass! you go girl!
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby DRodriguez » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:31 am

Olin wrote:This looks insane, really looking forward to seeing it in the end. You got a colour scheme or anything lined up?

I am not in a refinishing mood, so the body is a the standard tele blonde. Neck and bridge pickups are white, middle 3 are black. Black knobs for the middle volumes, chrome for the bridge/neck volume, and a gold knob on the tone. Still need to decide on a pickguard color, but I'm leaning towards white to make the 3 middle ones pop.

I was thinking about crudely stenciling it DBA style and letting the spray get worn with time. But now I'm thinking it will just look too busy
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby GuitarSlim101 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:25 pm

This looks awesome!
GuitarSlim101

committed
committed

Postby Olin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:29 am

Oh man am I looking forward to that, going to look like a glorious trainwreck of pickups and switches.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Obulus » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:58 am

Love this project! I've been thinking of similar stuff before, but never came up with something thought out this well. Really looking forward to seeing this come together! Definitely makes me itch to start planning something similar myself again.

Just one thing I would maybe change looks-wise is to put the VI plate behind the bridge (not sure how practical that would be with al the wiring going on though). Seems to look a bit less busy that way:

tbh, I am just rarely a fan of using jag and VI plates on other guitars so this might be me. I think I'd make a different plate in a different shape from pickguard material or something like that. That's also more of a hassle though I guess. I do think the rest of your knob layout is great though, looks really cool and not too cluttered or whatever (something I usually think of this kind of guitar with all the switches)!

DRodriguez wrote:I was thinking about crudely stenciling it DBA style and letting the spray get worn with time. But now I'm thinking it will just look too busy

I'm with you here, the guitar will no doubt look badass without special paint job and stickering :omg:
Obulus

experienced
experienced

Postby DRodriguez » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:54 am

Yeah, I thought about many ways to get those switches in. That change of placement is probably better for wiring than mine. That plate is the only thing not to scale in the design.

progress will be slow, because I'm in NY and don't have the space for proper tools to make the actual routing quickly. My technique is drill lots of holes then file/sand it down. :lol:
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby morange » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:26 am

Holy shit. Godspeed.
morange

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:02 am

Fuck.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects