Help! 2 Pickups, 5-way Switch

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Help! 2 Pickups, 5-way Switch

Postby The_Unknown_Man » Mon May 16, 2016 2:52 pm

Does someone know how I can wire a Singlecoil and a Humbucker (2 conductor) with a 5 way switch so I can get some type of out of phase sounds or anything along those lines? :idk: I want to add some flavours to it so it's not just S, S+H, H.
Any help is apreciated :joy:
The_Unknown_Man

interested
interested

Re: Help! 2 Pickups, 5-way Switch

Postby Adamadamadam » Mon May 16, 2016 7:23 pm

The 2 conductor hb limits your options. Is it a standard 5 way, or one of those superswitch things? Bill Lawrence has a 5 way tele schematic that does something like neck, neck & bridge, bridge, out of phase, and a bass cut that works with a normal switch. If you're able/willing to turn the hb into a 4 conductor you can wire it up like a strat, which gives you more choices.
Adamadamadam

committed
committed

Postby The_Unknown_Man » Tue May 17, 2016 2:19 pm

Adamadamadam wrote:The 2 conductor hb limits your options. Is it a standard 5 way, or one of those superswitch things? Bill Lawrence has a 5 way tele schematic that does something like neck, neck & bridge, bridge, out of phase, and a bass cut that works with a normal switch. If you're able/willing to turn the hb into a 4 conductor you can wire it up like a strat, which gives you more choices.

It's a standard 5 way. I know Bill's schematic but in his wiring position 1 and 5 are both just the singlecoil while the humbucker is in position 2 or something like that, not very usefull for a live situation :grumpy:
I'm more than willing to do it just not sure about actually being able to. But by wiring it like a strat do you mean like having position 5 being just one of the coils and position 4 the full humbucker? :?:
The_Unknown_Man

interested
interested

Postby Adamadamadam » Tue May 17, 2016 6:23 pm

Since it's a two conductor hb, anything position that engages the neck pu (or bridge, but I'm assuming it's an hb in the neck and sc in the bridge) should use the whole hb. So the BL wiring should be HB, HB & SC, SC, HB & SC oop, bass cut.

If you wired it up (four conductor) like a standard strat then yes, pos 4 would be the full humbucker. But there are also a bunch of alternative strat wirings out there. My favorite, and granted it doesn't use a 5 way switch, is doing the nashville tele thing where you can blend in the middle pickup. If you go that route you should use the four-way tele setup, that gives you the options of b&n both in parallel and series.
Adamadamadam

committed
committed

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects