Gap in Neck Heel and Pocket Bolt on

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Gap in Neck Heel and Pocket Bolt on

Postby jellyfishfuzz » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:58 pm

SO i bought a all parts neck for my jazzmaster and the bolts lined up find and tight between sides of pocket but there is a 2-3 mm gap between neck and pocket. Its also as strait as can be. Should this be shimmed? Does it effect anything? Sustain? Tone? Streghth of guitar?
Awesome Deals with:
Officer Bukowski; hbombgraphics; bongoben; Ronripper; Bob the robot; dangergirlstarship; foomanfat; sillyfabe; doomeow; insubordination; Justin; intothegroove; blooghost; strange tales; petee bee

."a place where......like minded individuals can...get together and....exchange...ideas...
and that place is called......BURNING MAAAAANNNN!!!"
jellyfishfuzz

committed
committed

Re: Gap in Neck Heel and Pocket Bolt on

Postby Gone Fission » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:01 pm

I'm not sure I understand where the gap is. Is it at the end of the neck towards the pickups, or between the bolted surfaces? If the former, you can try the old string-up/loosen bolts slightly/let neck shift/retighten trick and see if it closes things up.

There are a couple of schools of thought on this stuff for bolt-ons, anyway. One holds that solid coupling is essential for optimal tone. The other says that affirmatively decoupling body and neck is essential for optimal tone. Bottom line is that if it sounds good and the new neck feels and plays good, just go with it.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects