Kluson Style Tuner Screws?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Kluson Style Tuner Screws?

Postby ancientbones » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:13 pm

So I'm trying to install some Gotoh vintage kluson style tuners into a neck and the screws it came with got stripped after a couple turns. I'm trying to find some replacements but nothing at the hardware store seems to be close. I believe they're 3/8"? All my hardware store carries is 1/4" or 1/2". 1/2" seems like it'll go a little too deep into the neck and I'm not sure if 1/4" will be deep enough to keep the tuners in.

Any suggestions for a good screw to keep these tuners in?
ancientbones

committed
committed

Re: Kluson Style Tuner Screws?

Postby kosta » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:14 pm

I'm not sure on the screw dimensions, but I can say this - I was stripping the crap out of all kinds of screws until I started using Stew Mac's guitar grease. (No affiliation.) After putting a little bit on the end of the screw, pickguard and tuner screws go in much much easier. And try different screwdrivers until you get one that doesn't slip so much. But really, that guitar grease blew my mind.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Re: Kluson Style Tuner Screws?

Postby ancientbones » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:58 pm

kosta wrote:I'm not sure on the screw dimensions, but I can say this - I was stripping the crap out of all kinds of screws until I started using Stew Mac's guitar grease. (No affiliation.) After putting a little bit on the end of the screw, pickguard and tuner screws go in much much easier. And try different screwdrivers until you get one that doesn't slip so much. But really, that guitar grease blew my mind.

So last night I tried using some replacement screws I thought wouldn't fit. I tried them before and it didn't seem like they were going to work. This time I soaped them up before screwing them in because I forgot to last time and turns out they work great!!! The wood must have been really dry or something because before I couldn't screw them down all the way.

:) my guitar neck is done now. yay!
ancientbones

committed
committed

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects