Best way to apply a full-color decal under clearcoats?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Best way to apply a full-color decal under clearcoats?

Postby Justinm1789 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:35 am

Basically, I'm commissioning a parts Telecaster from a local luthier who is assembling, finishing, and wiring it as I'd like it.

I'm not generally a decal person at all, but this particular guitar is going to be a real showpiece, so I thought something tasteful might look nice.

rose.jpg
rose.jpg (227.01 KiB) Viewed 1620 times

Minus the watermark of course. Flame maple top, multi-ply double binding, square inlays, bound neck..

Anyway, I thought the best way to apply this decal to the body permanently might be via waterslide. Unfortunately I think the transparent edges of traditional waterslide decals might show up under polyurethane coats. Also, the only manufacturer I know of that prints ultra-thin waterslides does not print in full color.

Does anyone have any advice? What technique or medium will get the best and clearest image without its edges sticking up through clear coats? Any printing services that offer very thin waterslides in full color?

Thanks.
Justinm1789

committed
committed

Re: Best way to apply a full-color decal under clearcoats?

Postby finboy » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:19 am

Hnb on offsetguitars.com does colour water slide decals. For making the decal disappear under clear coat, lay down the decal, then spray clear, sand, spray clear, sand, etc. Until the edges are level, then polish.
Plenty of noise, little discernible skill or talent
finboy

committed
committed

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects