jaguar wiring debugging

Moderator: Ghost Hip

jaguar wiring debugging

Postby tuj » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:19 pm

hi all:

Got a Jag I'm trying to build and wired it up and got nothing. :grumpy: Any ideas where I should start trying to find what I did wrong?
so much gear...
tuj

committed
committed

Re: jaguar wiring debugging

Postby colossus » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:23 pm

No sound at all? Er, FIRST step (and we've all done this...) make sure volume is turned up on guitar and amp and everything is plugged in and powered on. But the next first step should be to simply compare with the wiring diagram and then compare it two more times. Trace everything. Couldn't hurt to reflow any questionable looking solder joints.
colossus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kosta » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Pics of the guts might help too. And yeah, check all joints and reflow anything that looks dodgy.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby tuj » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:00 pm

no, no sound or crackling in any of the switch and knob positions. I'm sort of surprised. Will retrace tomorrow.
so much gear...
tuj

committed
committed

Postby ChannelingHemingway » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:43 am

My off-the-cuff guess is that somewhere the signal is being dumped directly to ground. If you have a multimeter, check to see if the tip and sleeve terminals of the output jack are electrically connected. If they are, clip one lead to the sleeve and start poking around until you find the short. If you don't have a multimeter you should probably acquire one.
ChannelingHemingway

involved
involved

Postby tuj » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:01 am

Hemingway, throw back a glass of rum because I think you've got it right. I lined all the cavities with shielding foil and grounded it. I think the tight fit of the controls into the cavity must be shorting somewhere.

Do you guys ever insulate your leads on switches/pots/etc? I've seen a few people use heat-shrink tubing like that.

Anyway, I've got a multimeter, so I'll start poking around. and post some gut shots.
so much gear...
tuj

committed
committed

Postby ChannelingHemingway » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:53 am

Waaay ahead of you. If it does turn out to be a tight fit/shielding issue, any easy solution is to line that part of the cavity with a bit of index card cut to depth. What it lacks in elegance it makes up for in efficacy.

Jags are rad, but they're fiddly as hell to work on.
ChannelingHemingway

involved
involved

Postby repoman » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:06 am

If the shielding isn't the culprit-go through the diagram and look for poorly marked bridges. Double check the bridges you have. I know when I did the wiring for a Marr style switching, the Fender wiring diagram had a couple bridges that were poorly marked. All other wires were colored and bold, these were skinny and black and looked more like part of the switch being illustrated than wiring. Investigate the pots and switches for correct operation. Somehow a pot on my jag died when I was rewiring it and it took a long time to figure that one out.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby tuj » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:13 pm

I'm going to post my wiring diagrams, but I honestly am a little confused regarding the strangle switch wiring as in it doesn't make sense to me. Still need to sort this one out. I will also post some gut shots.

so much gear...
tuj

committed
committed

Postby tuj » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:28 am

jaguarsmall.png
so much gear...
tuj

committed
committed

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects