Building a 1x12 cabinet

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Building a 1x12 cabinet

Postby fuzzsuff » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:12 pm

So, my carpenter friend and I decided to build a 1x12 guitar cabinet. Since we have never build a cabinet I have a few (newbie) questions.

1. I see a lot of cabinets painted black inside. Is there any benefit of this or is just for cosmetical reasons?

2. What is this stick for? I guess that is not an option for a 1x12 cabinet but i am curious, though.

3. I have seen e.g. Orange 1x12s which have 2 input jacks. What is the benefit of that?

4. Are there any special specifications the cable needs to have which connects the speaker and input jack? Do I need a special kind of cable?

Thanks for answers in advance.
Felix
fuzzsuff

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Building a 1x12 cabinet

Postby CyaNitrate » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:53 pm

1. Seems to be mixed opinions. Some people leave it be, others paint it or use a wood sealer. One pretty cool thing I've seen is stenciling your name or initials or band on the inside. Here's a thread on the topic:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/ ... er-cabinet

2. A 4x12 or 4x10 is much bigger than a 1x12, and usually closed back. That is just a support brace between the back panel and baffle, and may have some damping effect.

3. I think for daisy chaining two cabs in series, vs. both going to the amp in parallel.

4.Good thread on speaker cable vs instrument cable. Short answer is no, even lamp cord would work, but there are better options available. 14-16ga copper wire will do the trick, and being a 1x12, it should be as simple as wiring each terminal to a 1/4" jack, one to tip, one to sleeve. Wiring two jacks, like the oranges, wouldn't be much more complicated, and wiring diagrams should be readily available.
http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2010/07/19 ... er-cables/
jwar wrote:BRO! There is only one order! Bass>fuzz>fuzz>fuzz>fuzz>overdriven amp. :)

goroth wrote:Come up here and fuzz party. Yes. Fuzz party. It is a legit verb.
CyaNitrate

experienced
experienced

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects