Mustang build -- which neck??

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Mustang build -- which neck??

Postby colossus » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:32 pm

I just started a PhD program, so I figure why not throw a ton of money and time I don't have into a new guitar? :idk:

I got a cheap pine mustang body, but now i need a neck. Given the money I saved on a body, my neck budget is around $300. I'm been thinking the Musikraft route, but now I'm thinking vintage (any of the Fender shortscales really). What would you do? I've never played a vintage neck. Are they nicer? Shittier but full of $$$ mojo? Radius, I'm slightly indifferent towards. I do however tend to like chunkier necks.
colossus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Mustang build -- which neck??

Postby kosta » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:01 pm

I used a Warmoth neck with the '59 Roundback profile on mine. Real real nice. Feels kinda like a slightly slimmer Harmony or Kay short scale neck. (Value Leader, Stratotone, Vanguard, etc.)
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Re: Mustang build -- which neck??

Postby ThurberMingus » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:48 pm

Well I have a later-60s Mustang and I LOVE the neck on it. I feel like the mojo that's on it might be taking some of the sparkle away. I might look into some way to clean it up. But the profile and playability are amazing!
neonblack wrote:SELL IT!

Don't form emotional bonds with metal boxes.

Live like me. Flip everything. Romanticize nothing. Accomplish nothing.

lost in music wrote:Digivolve into champions!
ThurberMingus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects