Headstock/neck starts to crack. What to do?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Headstock/neck starts to crack. What to do?

Postby Obulus » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:00 pm

Okay, thanks for the advice guys! It is an Epiphone (G400 Goth) indeed, which is why I'm hesitant on spending a lot of money on it. The quote I got for the repair was over what I paid for the guitar itself. I think I'm gonna check with another guitar tech to see if he charges less.

I do have some cool mods on it that I really liked, so that's why I really want to get it up and running again. Here's a picture of it in better days:

I even bought a second SG to perform the same mods on to have a back up for this one. Hope to have some time to build that one in the near future (I'm planning on doing another finish on that one though, so I'll have to figure that out first)!
Obulus

experienced
experienced

Postby AxAxSxS » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:34 pm

after seeing that, this becomes trickier. The reason I asked about Epi is that the scarf join on the neck seems to have been a failure point. I see this fairly often and it indicates that the join wasn't perhaps the greatest in the first place? anyways.

I was going to say, it's an epi, harvest parts and chuck it. buy a new one and put the parts in, but it looks like you've gone a bit further than that. We are now in unique guitar territory.

Expensive quote tech guy is probably on point. To fix that with existing material requires a complete tear down of the neck. really the fret board should be removed, the scarf join separated and then treat as if you are building a new guitar, and refinish to match the existing paint. A fair amount of work.

I would suggest a new neck. You can harvest the headstock inlays or whatever, but I would source a new neck, put that in, then go ahead and refinish the neck. heck if you ever entertained the idea of converting the epi to gibson, now would be the time. I dont know why so many people, myself included, hate the epi headstock and love the open book. you could also get a stronger neck with a volute.

then again it still might be less work to source another goth sg and repeat the mods. Not having to repaint is the tipper in that contest I think.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Obulus » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:55 am

I like the idea of changing the neck. Especially if I could slap a Flying V neck on it! Should be possible, no? Or does the heel differ in some way from SG's? If it would fit, the hardest part would be finding one it seems though.

Also, I can't seem to find any good Youtube video's of a set neck removal. Any pointers or good resources?
Obulus

experienced
experienced

Previous

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects