Jazzbox pot values

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Jazzbox pot values

Postby DarkAxel » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Hey, guys!

So i've got a new guitar as some of you might have seen, it's a korean made Epi Emperor Regent which will, once I get the new pickguard and get the electronics together, look like this

it has a single OBL humbucker pickup in the neck position. I haven't used tone pots much, but i feel that with this guitar, it might really sweeten up the sound and really get it to the jazzier, mellow territory (or the very mellow and round Robert Fripp type leads with fuzz)

however I find that most tone pots i've encountered didn't really do it for me... they made the sound waaay too "under the pillow" with lack of clarity. If i want to use the tone knob, i need it to be USABLE and have really musical effect on the sound

so what value capacitor would you recommend for the tone knob so it doesn't muffle up the sound too much but still makes a nice, musical difference

Also - i expect that generally, 500k pots should be the right value, right?

to sum up - i'm after that sweet, bellish sound with the knob all the way up with a smooth and not drastic treble roll off as i roll the tone down :idk:
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Jazzbox pot values

Postby MEC » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:07 am

I'd say start with a .015 and if you want more highs go down to .010.
http://youthministry.bandcamp.com/
http://remainstheband.bandcamp.com/
Achtane wrote:FUZZ ALL DAY MAN FUZZ IS GOD ALL OTHER EFFECTS ARE SHIT
Caesar wrote:Dude, can you get the fuck out of my b/s/t thread with your bullshit.
PumpkinPieces wrote: This isn't America, this is I Love Fuzz.
Mudfuzz wrote:Remember when we were all just a bunch of weirdos that liked fucked up shit and not just a bunch of nerds buying bling to impress each other online?
MEC

HERO
HERO

Postby DarkAxel » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:45 am

alright, thanks :) I think I might go for the .010 immediatelly, I'm pretty sure I want just a little roll-off
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chuckchuck » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:49 pm

DarkAxel wrote:Hey, guys!

So i've got a new guitar as some of you might have seen, it's a korean made Epi Emperor Regent which will, once I get the new pickguard and get the electronics together, look like this

it has a single OBL humbucker pickup in the neck position. I haven't used tone pots much, but i feel that with this guitar, it might really sweeten up the sound and really get it to the jazzier, mellow territory (or the very mellow and round Robert Fripp type leads with fuzz)

however I find that most tone pots i've encountered didn't really do it for me... they made the sound waaay too "under the pillow" with lack of clarity. If i want to use the tone knob, i need it to be USABLE and have really musical effect on the sound

so what value capacitor would you recommend for the tone knob so it doesn't muffle up the sound too much but still makes a nice, musical difference

Also - i expect that generally, 500k pots should be the right value, right?

to sum up - i'm after that sweet, bellish sound with the knob all the way up with a smooth and not drastic treble roll off as i roll the tone down :idk:

How did this turn out?
I read alnico3 magnets are good for neck position pickups, for the bell character. You'd have to have the right length for the magnet not to show under your floater.
Chuckchuck

experienced
experienced

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects