Pop quiz, hot shot: You have $150 and an Epiphone EB-0 body.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Pop quiz, hot shot: You have $150 and an Epiphone EB-0 body.

Postby Achtane » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:55 pm

WHAT DO YOU DO?!
Yes...exactly.

P1030031.jpg

Mudfuzz kindly donated this carcass a while ago, but it's been sitting for months, gathering power. A dano short scale bass neck and GFS pickups, plus salvaged parts turned it into...

P1030081.jpg

P1030085.jpg

Behold, THUNDERBOLT BUDDHA.
aka "FUCK YOUR SG"

P1030083.JPG

See, the fancy nameplate says so.

30" scale bass-turned-bassVI neck, tuned to Eb standard or D when in SUPER SPECIAL MODE.
The finely ebonized and lacquered 32"-scale fretless bass neck was CUSTOM CUT to my exact length specifications by luthier Thomas of the Home Depot lumber section. I believe it started life as their "2x2" model.
(it's actually a lot smoother than it looks, and sturdy enough to swing the guitar around by)
P1030084.JPG

The control cavity plate used to be a Joan Jett record, but don't worry -- there weren't any hits on it.

Now, you may be thinking, "well Achtane, I mean...don't you need more pickups than that?"
Henshin-a-go-go!
NSFW: show

NSFW: show

Tune to D and yer good to go even without the first fret.

Neck pickup's a GFS Loudmouth, bridge is the Lil' Puncher. The bridge itself is a Willkinson compensated jank. The P and Strat pickups were kindly donated from lawsuit copies of those same guitars.
Controls are neck/both/bridge 3-way switch, and individual volumes for the guitar and bass portions.
A push-pull toan knob that, when pulled, turns both geetar pickups into single coils.
On/offs for the headstock and behind the bridge pickup. They aren't controlled by the volume knob.
Individual outputs for the two weird pickups and bass portion.
The other is an everything-out.

I haven't really gotten to play it much yet but I know some things need ironing out. The pickup behind the bridge would be more effective if the strings were longer there; I'll have to move the string-through plate back some and drill the bridge holes a bit bigger so there's more freedom of movement. I need to buy a Dano guitar nut and cut the slots a bit wider; I'm using the bass nut that came with it, flipped upside down and with Dremel'd slots. It works, but it bugs me...and the fugly wiring could be tidied up. Also really needs a setup, but I'll get to all that.

Many thanks to the unholy trio of MEC, Mudfuzz, and masked elwood for inspiration, donation and finishin' tips, plus that dude from Solmania whose crazy guitars this is based on.

MEASURE TEN TIMES, DRILL ONCE. THEN FILL IT AND DO IT AGAIN. SHIT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Pop quiz, hot shot: You have $150 and an Epiphone EB-0 b

Postby MEC » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:52 pm

That is far more badass than badass could ever be!
http://youthministry.bandcamp.com/
http://remainstheband.bandcamp.com/
Achtane wrote:FUZZ ALL DAY MAN FUZZ IS GOD ALL OTHER EFFECTS ARE SHIT
Caesar wrote:Dude, can you get the fuck out of my b/s/t thread with your bullshit.
PumpkinPieces wrote: This isn't America, this is I Love Fuzz.
Mudfuzz wrote:Remember when we were all just a bunch of weirdos that liked fucked up shit and not just a bunch of nerds buying bling to impress each other online?
MEC

HERO
HERO

Postby skullservant » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:34 pm

OH MY FUCKING GOD
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:49 pm

:lol: thanks dudes! I'm really happy with the way it sounds. The neck pickup is great, man. Having the P pickups spread out like that yields growly toans too.
I was worried about neck dive, but with the strap button where it is and with a wide strap it's not bad. You can't play the bass neck sitting down.
Currently fixing up the wiring 'cause it was pretty noisy last night. I fucking hate soldering to the back of pots so everything is gonna be star grounded now.

(it's just lightweight aluminum plate crudely sawed out and torched + hammered into shape :lol:)
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby IEatCats » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:02 pm

SWEET MOTHER OF GOD. THAT IS SO FUCKING AWESOME.
maz91379 wrote:this board is really weird sometimes bros

Amissoteomb wrote:Modern technology makes the process of purchasing erection pills even simpler and swifter than before.
IEatCats

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby fiddelerselbow » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:26 pm

This is my face right now.
fiddelerselbow

experienced
experienced

Postby Achtane » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:43 pm

:lol: thanks guys.
I rewired it yesterday and with everything working as it should and noise free, I discovered something super weird. With the headstock pickup, all of the open strings are...normalish sounding, but when you fret anything it's totally wet reverb. WAT. Also, when you slide up the neck, the notes lower in pitch. The pickup isn't acting as a nut, it's not pressing on the strings, so I'll just chalk this one up to SCIENCE.
The open strings are much louder than the "reverb" notes, so now the headstock pickup has its own little section of my board for an HM-2 and phaser. It's so weird. I run the headstock through that and a Valve Jr and its own cab, then the guitbass through my normal bass amp. Fucking glorious.
I'll record some really, REALLY bad playing sometime so you can hear it. Now I have to like...actually learn how to play guitar.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby masked elwood » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:39 am

holy fucking shit !!!!! ....... i am without speech.
the behind the bridge pickup, the nut pickup, fuck..all the pickup choices, the finish....EVERYTHING. just fucking brilliant.

damn.
masked elwood

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Nj0rd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:45 am

videos. now. please. :)
Nj0rd

committed
committed

Postby IEatCats » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:07 am

This is still the coolest fucking project guitar I've ever seen.
maz91379 wrote:this board is really weird sometimes bros

Amissoteomb wrote:Modern technology makes the process of purchasing erection pills even simpler and swifter than before.
IEatCats

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Mudfuzz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:41 am

AWESOME!
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Fuzzy Picklez » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:58 am

Dude...
hbombgraphics wrote:paypal gift awakens a beast from underneath the earth that eats puppies
Fuzzy Picklez

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Achtane » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks a lot, dudes! I'll try to record somethin' sometime. Because of my...uhh...busy...schedule...you know. Yeah.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby colin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:56 am

HOLY SHIT!
colin

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby theavondon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:44 am

Sweet fucking shit. What the hell, man. What the hell.
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects