Mazzys Whoa budget tele build

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Mazzys Whoa budget tele build

Postby maz91379 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:33 pm

Soooooooo I think i want to do a single pickup tele builds to gain some basic setup skills but i'm a complete noob. Not really sure where to start and what kind of build costs i'd be looking at especially being down here instead of back home and just sort of wondering what to stay away from.

Would it be wrong to assume i could get away under $500 if i was careful?

I was thinking cheap body possibly pine,nice neck,dece hardware, something like gfs pickup and wireing?

Any advice/links would be helpful as i'm a bit lost.

So far just a sort of run down of stuff i'm thinking about which i'd like some feedback on.
Body 30+shipping
http://goodcheapguitars.webs.com/apps/w ... ow/3058431

Pickup 22-24+shipping
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Hot-Lead-Al ... p_415.html

Guitar mill or UsACG neck 225-250
Last edited by maz91379 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IEatCats wrote: That dude needs a beard and a sad demeanor.
maz91379

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Mazzys Whoa budget tele build

Postby mattar » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:57 pm

Hey man, I have never done a tele build but i have looked into doing one and have some info. Ebay is great for guitar parts, sometime you can get a body with electronics for a reasonable price. Guitar fetish has like $70 bodies, they are pre painted which is a plus but made out of some super light weight wood, some people say it has a great tone but warn the wood is so soft it is easy to strip screw holes. Necks are probably the most important aspect, at least to me. You can get a mighty mite neck for cheap but i would spend my money on a neck on ebay or even a warmoth. Also http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/ great guitar builder site. Be careful, my main problem is i always wanted to go one step more expensive for my gear and the prices i was looking at were out of my league for a first build. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Life is too short for matching socks.
mattar

committed
committed

Postby masked elwood » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:16 pm

yea you could do it under 500 and have a great tele if you patiently wait for good deals (on neck and body) to pop up on evilbay. i would suggest going with a quality body and neck using USA specs. it'll be a easier build as there are so many parts out there being made overseas these days that are off just a bit. there are also several guys cutting bodies to original specs going for cheap unfinished.
pine is harder to find cheaper but they're out there.

i do not like guitar fetish's bodies and necks. they are cheap for a reason. yes, they work but it's not a tight fit. i bought a replacement neck for one of their own guitars and it didn't fit , also needed a complete fret level and crown. not fun for the beginner and not worth the money considering all the work i had to do on it.

you should do it. :thumb:
masked elwood

Supporter
Supporter

Postby masked elwood » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:20 pm

that pine body looks great. it'd be hard to beat that.
USA custom and guitar mill make top quality bodies and necks. but they can get pricey.
i'd go for that pine body....buy a really good neck for it.
masked elwood

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dubkitty » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:36 pm

you can get Fender pickups and hardware for bargain prices on eBay by deciding on a set percentage of retail and placing bids for no more than that amount. i got all the metal parts for my Tele, including a 60s reissue wiring harness ready to install, for 60% or less of what i'd have paid to Angela or some other parts seller. the tricky thing is finding a decent neck for cheap...Tele necks, especially maple-board ones, are dear compared to Strat necks.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Gone Fission » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:18 pm

TDPRI's DIY-ish forums might be very helpful on scrutinizing specific parts. Also some of the finishing info can be very helpful for keeping things on the cheap.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby theavondon » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:38 am

Buy everything on eBay. I built a bass that way and spent $90.
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dubkitty » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:32 pm

like i said, to find a good maple-board Tele neck on eBay for less than $100 you have to watch the listings like the Mossad. trust me, i've been doing off and on for the last two or three years. if you know people who have piles of parts, it might pay to ask them. if you like rosewood fingerboards, you're golden...rosewood-board Tele necks are a dime a dozen.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby maz91379 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:33 am

Putting this on back burner after acquiring a decently actually less than american retail priced bass cab. Ill post when i get around to doing this though it's my next project unless a cool bass amp pops up.
IEatCats wrote: That dude needs a beard and a sad demeanor.
maz91379

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects