Surprise! This is how it looks now:
I have decided to paint the back and sides in this turquoise to make the red stand out better. After the sealer dried and I put some wax on it the colour darkened to some sort of brown and I thought it needed contrast.
I am not a huge fan of wood pickguards and leather somehow seems wrong. I am thinking of using material out of context though. Maybe a metal pickguard? Copper might be an option though it might look cheesy too. But maybe I will just not use a pickguard at all.
Thanks! I tend to think that any treatment would have improved the looks of the guitar though.
Other than the turquoise back here's the current state of affairs:
- in an attack of 'support your local businesses' I have decided to order Barfuss Pickups
, not The Creamery. ONly problem is that the dude has so many awesome things to choose from that I can't make up my mind. But I will call him tomorrow and maybe he can help me on the phone. He has humbucker-sized Jazzmaster-pickups in his line that make me go insane. Or P90's in that offset Wide-Range style. Or Wide Range Humbuckers. Or P90's. Or Filtertrons. It is insanity.
- I will order all the other electronic parts tonight.
- I'm still thinking if I should scallop the frets from the 15th upward. Maybe I'd use that part of the neck then...
- I am also thinking about replacing the wraparound bridge with a roller bridge and put a Vibrato tailpiece on this beeyatch.
- I will replace the Synchromatic on the headstock with something sayin FULL BASTARD. (Just made this up now.)
All in all I have the feeling that I am very impulsive about this whole affair. I decide on something and then put it to work the same day. Normally I am a planner though so this is very unusual for me. I am really happy with the direction this is taking.