Need part recommendations for Frakenstein guitar

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Need part recommendations for Frakenstein guitar

Postby blacktarprophecy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:10 am

First post! :hello:

Okay, so here's the deal; my mate Gearmond posted this thread a while back for me (more like without my consent :joy: ) and while I was initially set on the Blacktop Jag that you guys kept mentioning, I decided against blowing my holiday earnings on a relatively expensive instrument.

Instead I decided on a cheaper route:

See, I have the body and neck from a MIJ Les Paul copy sitting in my closet that could use some TLC. What I'm thinking of is taking this and investing, say, $100 USD of parts into it.

Doesn't sound like much, I know, but I already have the tailpiece, bridge, tuners, jack plate and strap buttons. All I'd need are the electronics and a pair of pickup rings and I'd have everything needed to piece the old girl back together. :)

So basically I need recommendations on what to buy and where to order. I'm thinking maybe a pair of pickups from GFS are in order, but beyond that, I'm pretty much lost.

p.s. thanks in advance. :joy:
Guitar > audio interface > notebook. That's how I roll.

Tumblr
Backloggery
MyAnimeList
blacktarprophecy

interested
interested

Re: Need part recommendations for Frakenstein guitar

Postby nieh » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:48 pm

I think you should just get everything from www.guitarfetish.com

And welcome to ILF! :!!!:
Chankgeez wrote:(Don't worry, spouses come and go, ILF is forever.)

nieh

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby culturejam » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:47 pm

I second the GFS recommendation. Can't beat the price, and the pickups are really well done.
Disclaimer #1: Co-Founder, Product Developer at Function f(x).
Disclaimer #3: I do sporadic, infrequent contract work for Black Arts Toneworks
Check out my photo gear on the cheap site: Tight Camera
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby elbandito » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:31 am

The great thing about GFS is that for the most part, you can afford to buy a pickup just to try it out and if you don't like it, you can turn it around and not lose much.

If you want my advice, stay away from thier A5 pups... there's a really glassy metallic overtone to them that sounds really bad to my ears. Some people like them a lot, though so in the end, it's really up to you. I recommend the A2 pups.
superheavyFUNK
Fuzczk & F!zz

I am ELBAN, THE TROLL SLAYER!!!!
- fide fuzz semper fidelis - ILF downtime 2011 on FB veteran

hey, i'm cool! follow me on twitter: @ricardo_bandito
elbandito

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby blacktarprophecy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:55 am

Thanks guys, it's been so long since I've looked at guitar stuff that I didn't realize GFS had all sorts of guitar parts these days.

What pickups would you guys recommend? I direct input and play 'clean' often so dynamics, clarity and neutrality are all pretty important to me.

Tumblr
Backloggery
MyAnimeList
blacktarprophecy

interested
interested

Postby elbandito » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:01 pm

What kind of music do you play? Do you want singles, humbuckers or hybrids? High or low output? A vintage sound or a more modern one?
superheavyFUNK
Fuzczk & F!zz

elbandito

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby blacktarprophecy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:55 pm

TEH BLOOZ.

Honestly, I don't play anything in particular; my music interests are annoyingly eclectic so something designed with variety in mind would be ideal. Form-wise, as long as it fits in a standard humbucker slot and isn't noisy, I'm cool with whatever. Output doesn't matter, either, my audio interface can take a variety of input levels with no trouble. Modern would probably be my first choice, I'd like something leaning towards neutral and hi-fi; yeah, I know, I should probably go with EMG, Lace, etc. but I don't really want to spend that kind of money right now.

Sorry if that doesn't answer your questions, I know I'm not exactly a traditional guitarist by any means...

Tumblr
Backloggery
MyAnimeList
blacktarprophecy

interested
interested

Postby elbandito » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:50 pm

Since you say you play a variety of things, it's probably a good idea to start looking into the types of pickups that your favourite guitarists use. That'll be a good starting point, I think. Les Paul guitars usually come equipped with P90 pickups, so if you like that standard LP tone, you might want to look into those. Gibson, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio and GFS all make P90-style pickups in a standard humbucker size. Fyi, standard P90 pickups aren't humbucker-sized. They're longer and skinnier and are usually in what they call a "dog ear" pickup cover.

As for modern-sounding pickups, you should probably stay away from pickups with a low output... any humbucker rated around 12k or more should do you fine. Any single coil rated at 8k or higher would be more modern-sounding as well.

blacktarprophecy wrote:I'd like something leaning towards neutral and hi-fi; yeah, I know, I should probably go with EMG, Lace, etc. but I don't really want to spend that kind of money right now.

Remember - You get what you pay for. Although companies like GFS make great pups at a reasonable price, you won't get the same quality of sound as a high-end pickup. As I mentioned before, I hear a distinct glassiness in the high frequencies of the GFS pickups that use AlNiCo 5 magnets and I find it unpleasant. I only use GFS pickups that are made with A2 magnets. But I don't find that to be the case with Seymour Duncan's A5 pickups... I don't know what the differences might be in the quality of the magnets, the type of wire each company uses, etc. All I know is what I like and what I don't like. I've spoken to many guitarists that love the A5 GFS pups but they're just not for me.

Speaking of magnet types, you should consider doing some reading into the differences between ceramic magnets and alnico. They are quite different in sound... again, it all depends on your tastes and the sound you hear in your head.

Ultimately, the most sought-after and classic rock guitar tones were created not by the guitarist's gear but rather by his/her playing style. Hendrix, Frampton, Clapton, Satriani, Santana and many others, plugged directly into their amps (or maybe a couple really basic stompboxes first)... their "tones" came from their fingers. Get something that sounds good to you, that you can work with and run with it.

:)*
superheavyFUNK
Fuzczk & F!zz

elbandito

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby blacktarprophecy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:54 am

elbandito wrote:Since you say you play a variety of things, it's probably a good idea to start looking into the types of pickups that your favourite guitarists use. That'll be a good starting point, I think.

Thing is, I rarely listen to anything with guitars in it and the few artists that do use the instrument are pretty secretive about their equipment or just aren't really big into gear.

elbandito wrote:Les Paul guitars usually come equipped with P90 pickups, so if you like that standard LP tone, you might want to look into those.

To be fair, the reason I'm a Les Paul fan is less sound-oriented and more that it's a design I find quite comfortable to play and aesthetically pleasing.

Also, while I'm fond of the P90 sound, I hate how absolutely noisy they are. :( Shit would drive me crazy while DIing with studio-grade headphones on.

elbandito wrote:Remember - You get what you pay for. Although companies like GFS make great pups at a reasonable price, you won't get the same quality of sound as a high-end pickup.

This is something I fully understand, however my current goal is to start with something inexpensive right now so I can get back into the swing of things with the knowledge that I can always upgrade again later down the road.

elbandito wrote:Get something that sounds good to you, that you can work with and run with it.

I'd love to, but it's hard when you A. haven't seriously played in a year or two and B. don't approach an instrument from a traditional angle.

Tumblr
Backloggery
MyAnimeList
blacktarprophecy

interested
interested

Postby elbandito » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:07 am

blacktarprophecy wrote:Thing is, I rarely listen to anything with guitars in it

You should probably start listening to more, in that case.

blacktarprophecy wrote:
elbandito wrote:Get something that sounds good to you, that you can work with and run with it.

I'd love to, but it's hard when you A. haven't seriously played in a year or two and B. don't approach an instrument from a traditional angle.

Well then maybe you shouldn't be thinking about guitar in a traditional manner either. There are a million and one options out there. Do some research, come up with some ideas and bounce them off of people. Nobody can tell you what to buy or what sounds good, man... it's all subjective.
superheavyFUNK
Fuzczk & F!zz

elbandito

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby blacktarprophecy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:05 pm

I'd hate to be an ass, but telling me to listen to music I'm not interested in and do more research as if I didn't do enough before even posting isn't helpful, it's discouraging.

All I wanted was a few suggestions based on my needs to get me on the right track, that's it.

Tumblr
Backloggery
MyAnimeList
blacktarprophecy

interested
interested

Postby elbandito » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:22 am

I'm being as helpful as I can, man. I'm not sitting here typing multiple paragraphs to you because I'm getting paid for it. You're asking us to help you choose pickups but you can't define what kind of guitar sound you like... how am I supposed to help you? Studying guitar tones is the ONLY way that you'll be able to figure that out, man. I can't read your mind. I don't know what you like. YOU have to tell ME.

I've given you all the information that I can based on what you've told me so far. When you can narrow it down some more, let me know.

Best of luck.
superheavyFUNK
Fuzczk & F!zz

elbandito

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:12 am

blacktarprophecy wrote:Also, while I'm fond of the P90 sound, I hate how absolutely noisy they are. :( Shit would drive me crazy while DIing with studio-grade headphones on.

Gibson P94s are a stacked humbucker version of the P90 and fits in a humbucker hole. I have one, it's a good pickup :idk:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects