Frankenstein's Lab! [SHOW YOUR PROJECTS THREAD]

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Frankenstein's Lab! [SHOW YOUR PROJECTS THREAD]

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:42 am

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Depends what machines and bits you have to hand of course but milling it from the top or sides is the most obvious thing that comes to my mind.

Nothing quite so impressive as this but today I rewired my Les Paul. Stripped out the PCB and wired it with two volumes, master tone (lpf) and master "bass contour" (hpf). This wiring is a lot more fun to me plus it was a fun little afternoon project reverse engineering the wiring from the original PCB setup and starting from scratch.

It's quite funny googling about people rewiring PCB gibsons because there's so much woowoo about it sounding different. But this one actually does sound better because I changed it quite a lot :lol:

Behold the rats nest:

:lol: :thumb:
Yeah... on one of my lps I removed all that for a single volume and filled the other hoes with SKB rack screws...
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:46 am

:lol:

That's pretty fun! I did consider leaving it briefly twice, after wiring the bridge pickup direct to the jack to check I had my wire codes right, and after I got the volumes and the switch sorted out lol. I don't use tone controls much on guitar but I do like having them around.
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby repoman » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:02 pm

Nice job on that wiring. Les Pauls are very cramped in there and the wiring is always really chunky.

Got some more done on this bass. I ordered a mudbucker for it off Amazon prime thinking it would be fast shipping but it's coming from China so that will take forever to get, kind of thinking about trying to find another type of pickup so I can finish this before it gets too cold to paint outside but don't know what.

F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:08 am

oooo I love the idea of the mudbucker though. Body shape is super cool, this is coming along great. :thumb:
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Zork » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:22 am

Love the Wandre style! :joy:

Here's my current Frankenstein:

It's a bass vi constructed from a Musima Elektra DeLuxe body and a 30" scale neck from pit bull guitars plus some bits and pieces I had in the parts drawer. Last missing part is a Göldo DG Horseshoe trem.
Zork

involved
involved

Postby Dandolin » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:25 am

nice! interesting pickups :snax:

I really want to try one of those Goldos - seems like a smart upgrade of the OG Bigsby :)*
On an other board, in another time:
"I also have a Fat Goat HB/P90 on my bastardized f-hollowed V, which is made of God-knows what kind of wood and of how many pieces. That guitar sounded OK when I installed one Shlabotnik pup on it; it actually became alive, very soaring; but I ended up preferring the Fat Goat, which gives me a darker, more "barking" tone as well as more "CHANK" and (maybe) better dynamics when played clean."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects