Underrated, under-loved, underpriced tube heads?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Underrated, under-loved, underpriced tube heads?

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:19 pm

There was a Verellen modified Jet City that wasn't very expensive and sounded interesting but I never saw a single one actually come up on Reverb when I was looking a couple of years ago.
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby RolandJC120 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:31 pm

I just got a egnater tour master 4100 and 4x12 for 500 bucks. Deals are out there if you look
RolandJC120

interested
interested

Postby Gone Fission » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:15 am

jirodreamsofdank wrote:There was a Verellen modified Jet City that wasn't very expensive and sounded interesting but I never saw a single one actually come up on Reverb when I was looking a couple of years ago.

The mod is illuminated in an old thread. If you know how to safely discharge the caps in one of the single channel 20 watters you can probably manage it
http://www.ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php? ... &start=165
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:23 am

aen wrote:Peavey!

If I were to re-start with guitar gear I would go after a VTM 60 half stack. Beautifully crunchy if you want it, loud as heck, and can be had for under a grand for the whole shebang.

this. if you don't care about status and are happy just living that dumpster rat life while still reaping the benefits of great clean sound, peavey and done. forever. and for real. its how i started and never needed to move away from. especially if you use pedals. literally just about any high watt peavey, tube or even solid state, gets you where you should be. for the longest time i had a tube pa head from peavey that i used as a guitar amp.

embrace trash life and live your best self feeling like a king perched on top of your dumpster found treasures...
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:42 am

This is a good plan. I have been sleeping on buying a big peavey for years. Maybe I'll do it.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby JTurbide » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:59 pm

fryette power station as in power amp ? Or simply attenuator ?
Because if it is the power amp one you might want to look at preamp instead of actual amps. There are really cool options out there depending on what you want. I personally ordered a SMS CTP for cleans (the revelation also looks great) and Hilbish beta for high gain stuff. There are lots of cool pedal format with tubes options too like milkman the amp, verellen, shift line, kingsley, etc...
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby voerking » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:03 pm

qersty wrote:Also I've heard THD amps are supposed to be a steal. They aren't cheap really but good value if you want a boutique amp

The Bivalve, in particular is a steal at the current $650-ish pricing. I had a Flexi 50 for a while, but my band at the time broke up & it became impractical. i wish i hadn't sold it!
voerking

experienced
experienced

Postby dubkitty » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:43 pm

i did not know they were that reasonable these days. that concept has always intrigued me. i may have to put that one in the hopper for future reference.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby aen » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:08 pm

ibarakishi wrote:
aen wrote:Peavey!

If I were to re-start with guitar gear I would go after a VTM 60 half stack. Beautifully crunchy if you want it, loud as heck, and can be had for under a grand for the whole shebang.

this. if you don't care about status and are happy just living that dumpster rat life while still reaping the benefits of great clean sound, peavey and done. forever. and for real. its how i started and never needed to move away from. especially if you use pedals. literally just about any high watt peavey, tube or even solid state, gets you where you should be. for the longest time i had a tube pa head from peavey that i used as a guitar amp.

embrace trash life and live your best self feeling like a king perched on top of your dumpster found treasures...

If you want to go full dick-on-the-table get any decent solid state bass head and destroy all comers.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to Guitar and Bass