What to do when you have to tune a lot during shows?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

What to do when you have to tune a lot during shows?

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:16 pm

My current go to strategy of either a) awkward silence, or b) excruciating feedback, are both fine—but some variation would be nice. Any suggestions?

Saw a rig rundown with Phil from Caspian, and he mentioned using a looper between songs. For the first time ever, I now see actual value in a looper pedal (—i.e. for myself; I get why other people use them).
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Re: What to do when you have to tune a lot during shows?

Postby MechaGodzilla » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:32 pm

i would make sure
- contact points (nut + saddles) don't bind the strings and are properly lubricated
- the method of stringing around tuning pegs is optimal. over/under with minimal wraps on through-hole pegs, fender split tuners tend to be fine whatever you do, so long as it's neat.
- any vibrato unit is of adequate quality and set up to return to pitch consistently

if i still had tuning problems after that, i guess something must be loose somewhere? idk
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:37 pm

I tune a lot because I use different tunings, not because my guitar detunes. Good points though!
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Postby MechaGodzilla » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:30 pm

ohhh. different guitars then!
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:32 pm

Hah! Having a guitar per song is orders of magnitude too decadent for me to consider even if I could afford to.
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Postby Dandolin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:41 pm

offer aspiring mimes the opportunity to strut their stuff? Must be flexible enough to get out of the invisible box and off stage at a moment's notice.... :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:48 pm

Maybe we could have jugglers. Emo Summer would read aloud from The Catcher in the Rye and other appropriately emo clichés, so that's another option.
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Postby Dandolin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:53 pm

:D :thumb: now you're cooking with gas....
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:18 pm

- if you have bandmates, go silent while one of them plays an interlude to give people's ears a break

- trigger samples between songs (as simple as hooking your phone up to the PA with a music player app if you want it to be)

- peds with random playback functions - e.g. on the Red Panda Tensor you can record a 4 second loop and set the range for it to playback at varying pitch/speed/timestretch

Those are my favourite approaches
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:33 am

I don't change tunings a lot between songs except going drop D occasionally.
Usually I trigger some loops and then tune, or I speak and say stupid things while I tune. Another useful thing is to plan your setlist in the most useful way so that you have to change tuning only a limited number of times. For example I go: standard tuned songs-->drop d songs--> drop d with B dropped in A# --> end.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:44 am

Bandmates, banter. Ultimately it's better to have silence than pointless noodling/bad sounds.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby chromandre » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:08 am

no I like the noises! has to be freaky though, I had some patches on multi effect that could do destructing loops with stereo panning but I have been experimenting with CBA blooper.

different tuning for every song so I'm seriously considering having 2 guitars, and strategically bunching the tunings that are closer together. sometimes it takes an entire minute to properly get from one tuning to the other its just a total waste of stage time.
chromandre

committed
committed

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:19 am

VREEEEVROOOOOW wrote:Hah! Having a guitar per song is orders of magnitude too decadent for me to consider even if I could afford to.

i'd probably rework some parts then to make the most of a couple of tunings. hell, i have done that. lots of weird tunings are good but sometimes you have to make the most of what you've got, and sometimes what you've got is EADGBE.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:21 am

^^^^

Yeah but structuring sets so that you tune less will definitely help. I used to be in a band with a lot of instrument swapping. We made our setlists up to minimise it because it can take ages
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:18 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Bandmates, banter. Ultimately it's better to have silence than pointless noodling/bad sounds.

Well there is the option of having nice sounds instead of bad sounds, which I wanna explore.

We did play a couple of shows with a recording of a stream in the woods (which we recorded ourselves) playing in the background, and whenever we weren't making a bunch of noise, that was on.

Silence generally works fairly well, but sometimes people start talking, and I think that's annoying. Not as a musician really, but whenever I'm in the audience, seeing a band like God's Pee or MONO, it always irritates me a tiny bit when people start chatting.

MechaGodzilla wrote:i'd probably rework some parts then to make the most of a couple of tunings. hell, i have done that. lots of weird tunings are good but sometimes you have to make the most of what you've got, and sometimes what you've got is EADGBE.

Yeah I see how that'd be attractive to people. Personally, I'd rather spend a moment to tune, even in silence, than do that.

Not a fan of ordering the setlist based on convenience either. Although sometimes it ends up somewhat convenient just as a result of songs in similar tuning fitting well together. The setlist for our next show is DADFAD -> DADGBD -> CGCGBC.
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass