GFS/Xaviere/Slick guitars? (could also include bodies/necks)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

GFS/Xaviere/Slick guitars? (could also include bodies/necks)

Postby dubkitty » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:24 pm

i searched ILF and couldn't find anything more comprehensive than a brief mention in a projects thread. anyone have any experience with these? i'm leaning towards doing some builds using their bodies and set-neck Strat-style guitars, and am curious as to what the actual guitars are like. my impression is that the Xavieres are cheapazoid, while the Slick guitars seem more interesting. it would be especially nice to compare them to, say, the Revelation and Tagima lineups. anybody?
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Re: GFS/Xaviere/Slick guitars? (could also include bodies/ne

Postby Jero » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:42 pm

I've been using an Xaviere semi hollow for 5+ years now. I think it the 's the 910 model? No complaints. Stays in tune and sounds/feels good.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:55 pm

mixed experience
you talkin' the put-together guitars, or the parts?
I've got a thinline that I slapped Mosrite pickups in - quite decent, even though the neck doesn't match my increasingly idiosyncratic personal preferences (erm thick and wide).
it's normal. extra normal.
The guitar is light and resonant but not so light that there's troublesome neck dive.

Built a couple of partscasters with their parts. Not so much. Not insoluble problems, but be prepared for a project (eg., trem routing that makes it impossible for the trem to float without further routing; neck pocket on the too-shallow side. I had heard horror stories about tele bridge drilling that was out position, making intonation difficult or impossible with out fill and re-drill. Haven't experienced that myself.

I've looked at the Slick stuff - not sure if it's so much a quality bump as some spec'ing for Slick that seems a little...slicker.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:22 am

60 Cycle Hum just posted a video of a gfs partscaster he built. Might have some useful info.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:08 am

watching this now. if that's generally true, it's unfortunate. i saw someone on the Gretsch Pages who has done multiple builds with their bodies and was happy, but he was doing Teles which are much easier to manufacture and don't require a tremolo rout. the good news is that they let you return stuff you aren't satisfied with; back in the 00s i ordered a loaded Strat pickguard which i didn't like, and they took it back for a refund. i figure i'd get one of their Wilkinson trems and see if it fits. probably use one of their pickguards as well.

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Dandolin » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:42 am

my problem wasn't too tough to fix, but it's weird that it even occurred - the front edge of the cavity (adjacent to the tray where the springs are attached) was "bellied" out a little so that the block came to rest on it before the back of the bridge plate could reach parallel (kinda hard to describe in words). So taking off a fraction of an inch there solved it for me. Still, you don't really want to have to deal with such, even at the price those bodies go for....
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:07 am

well, if i fucked it up it could always go in the Hack Jobs thread.

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:11 am

swing that ax :lol:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:44 am

for $89 for a Strat with a set neck, if i get frustrated i'll just make it into a Less Strat.

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mcatano » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:39 pm

i had one of their telemaster bodies for a while. It was disconcertingly light and you could put a dent into it with your fingernail. It built up into the lightest electric guitar I've ever felt in my life, but it felt incredibly cheap and every single screw stripped out so the input jack would pull out when you unplugged the guitar.
mcatano

committed
committed

Postby dubkitty » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:14 pm

pawlonia wood, i presume?

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:31 pm

I have one of their XGP tele bodies and the fit and finish is great for a $79 body. I probably wouldn't buy anything other than a hardtail body from them. Its easy to work around any issues.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:32 pm

agreed
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:30 pm

mcatano wrote:i had one of their telemaster bodies for a while. It was disconcertingly light and you could put a dent into it with your fingernail. It built up into the lightest electric guitar I've ever felt in my life, but it felt incredibly cheap and every single screw stripped out so the input jack would pull out when you unplugged the guitar.

dubkitty wrote:pawlonia wood, i presume?

probs paulownia, which they seem to have moved off of in favor of Poplar - Guitar Mill sells paulownia bodies but inserts hardwood dowels at certain high strees screw-down points, like bridge screws, and strap buttons, but I'm not sure about input jacks....
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mcatano » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:31 am

I picked up the body in a trade so I'm not sure of the wood, but paulownia would make sense. Or balsa wood. Either one.
It had a tele-style jack on the lower edge so that was definitely a high stress area. All of the screws on the control plate and the pickguard stripped out as well, and I'm not a particularly heavy hand with that stuff.
Glad to hear they've stopped using it, but still just a head's up if you happen to come across an older GFS body—I would 100% steer clear.
mcatano

committed
committed

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass