Bass Strings help please

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Bass Strings help please

Postby PeteeBee » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:02 pm

Hey, I have a bass coming in the mail from a trade. My dream bass would be a normal P bass, but for who little I anticipate using it I'll take the trade one. It's a 5 string Ibanez sound gear bass. I have no need for that low B, thinking about switching it to be E A D G C. Any recommendations on strings?

Couple unrelated things...
Will I need a new nut?
Why isn't it EADGB? Will I be a huge kook if I tune it like that?
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Bass Strings help please

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:24 pm

PeteeBee wrote:I have no need for that low B, thinking about switching it to be E A D G C. Any recommendations on strings?

Strings are subjective and have too much to do with personal taste. To start.. round wound or flat wound?

PeteeBee wrote:Couple unrelated things...
Will I need a new nut?

Yes, maybe.

PeteeBee wrote:Why isn't it EADGB? Will I be a huge kook if I tune it like that?

The short story?
It's a bass and not a guitar is why.
A bass guitar is more of a merging of a double bass and a guitar than a detuned guitar.. And the high C tuning for a 5 string bass guitar as seen on the Fender BassV
comes from the tuning used on the Kay S-51

Which was a Jazz thing.. 5 string double basses have been around for over 100 years with a low B so you can play music that needs lower notes than a E
http://koorikuma.bandcamp.com/
Warning: The internet is a super serious place. Things you say in partial jest or light sarcasm might result in you getting labeled as a zealot by people with massive psychological hang-ups and enough time one their hands to write walls of text to prove to you that their existence is pointless and they are more ignorant than they perceive. Thank you.
Blackened Soul

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PeteeBee » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:34 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:
PeteeBee wrote:I have no need for that low B, thinking about switching it to be E A D G C. Any recommendations on strings?

Strings are subjective and have too much to do with personal taste. To start.. round wound or flat wound?

I think round wounds. I like some good punch and plan on using a driven/fuzzy bass paired with cleanish guitar. In my mind the round wounds help with dirt. I have an ampeg b2re head but I need to replace the cab. Looking to get another 4x10 when one pops up locally.

Thanks for all that info! I had no idea about the double bass stuff. Somehow that little info makes me want to keep it how it is tuning-wise, in no small part because I'm hoping to really play bass, not just play the root notes of the chords and stuff like that.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:05 pm

PeteeBee wrote:
Blackened Soul wrote:

I think round wounds. I like some good punch and plan on using a driven/fuzzy bass paired with cleanish guitar. In my mind the round wounds help with dirt. I have an ampeg b2re head but I need to replace the cab. Looking to get another 4x10 when one pops up locally.

Thanks for all that info! I had no idea about the double bass stuff. Somehow that little info makes me want to keep it how it is tuning-wise, in no small part because I'm hoping to really play bass, not just play the root notes of the chords and stuff like that.

:thumb: really though.. you could buy a 6 string set and see which way you like it... Personally I like kalium and DR rounds.. I don't like nickel bass strings at all. And really flats have more punch than rounds in very focused direct sort of way vs a piano-y harmonic laden sound :idk: I'm going to say... think about what people's sound you sort'a like use that as a starting point and then wander off in you own direction :thumb:
Warning: The internet is a super serious place. Things you say in partial jest or light sarcasm might result in you getting labeled as a zealot by people with massive psychological hang-ups and enough time one their hands to write walls of text to prove to you that their existence is pointless and they are more ignorant than they perceive. Thank you.
Blackened Soul

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PeteeBee » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:19 pm

Hmmm interesting. Well, the bands that I think of when I think of bass tone similar to what I would want are Modest Mouse, Self Defense Family, and Dream Decay. I'll have to do some research. I'm sure I can find out about modest mouse at least. I like DR guitar strings. I'll probably do that just because I already like them.

Thanks again for all the help!
Suffering suits you.

PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby sears » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Yeah, you'll probably need a new nut.
sears

committed
committed

Postby Pepe » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:02 am

sears wrote:Yeah, you'll probably need a new nut.

You'll definitely need a new nut. Let a luthier do that. It will spare you lots of broken strings.
Pepe

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:22 pm

Pepe wrote:
sears wrote:Yeah, you'll probably need a new nut.

You'll definitely need a new nut. Let a luthier do that. It will spare you lots of broken strings.

Makes sense. I'm going to play around with it first, then potentially go this route if I don't like the low string. The bass is really cheap so I'm hesitant to invest any more money into it than necessary.
Suffering suits you.

PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:35 pm

Spend more on strings than you did on the bass. Get a set of the Thomastik flatwounds! :snax:

(Don't know if they come in 5-string sets. :idk: )
"You can't copyright circuits really." - Ed Sanner …………….0.............
"The effects market was really nothing more than a bunch of beggars and theives, all building off one another's work." - Dan Armstrong…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"...a benevolent dictatorship can be O.K. for as long as the benevolence lasts…” - Hardy Green
"Flangers gonna Flange, though. There's no way around that." - Joel Korte
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:36 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Spend more on strings than you did on the bass. Get a set of the Thomastik flatwounds! :snax:

(Don't know if they come in 5-string sets. :idk: )

Yep,
http://www.juststrings.com/thomastikinf ... wound.html
but if you want a hi C you have to get a 6 set or a 4 set and a single high C
http://www.juststrings.com/flatwoundtho ... rings.html
Blackened Soul

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Pepe » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:16 am

But you have to LIKE flatwounds. I don't get along with these. Always feel and sound strange to me. :erm:
Pepe

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:37 pm

Anyone rock halfwounds? or whatever they're called. I have a friend locally who swears by them, but he also plays a ridiculously expensive bass that I always think sounds bad soooo :idk: :lol:
Suffering suits you.

PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby greyscales » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:18 pm

I've currently got halfwounds on my Ric 3000. I'm not a huge fan of them, they just feel like a weird cross between really old rounds and flats to me.
Tonally they sound a lot like flats but they grip kinda like rounds?

I would only recommend them if you want the tone of flats but hate the way flatwounds feel on your fretting hand.
greyscales

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:26 pm

I tried them once and I found the opposite :lol: they sounded like old fuggy round wounds and were smoothy feeling like rotosound or labella flatwounds neither of which I like :idk: I like flats that are really smooth like chromes or TI or Ernie Ball or GHS or Rickenbaker... so I hated the things.
Blackened Soul

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PeteeBee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:43 pm

Ha! Well regardless it sounds like the worst of both worlds.
Suffering suits you.

PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass