Page 1 of 12

“Other” guitars ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:06 pm
by JereFuzz
What are some other guitar-like instruments out there worth pursuing? The Bolivian Ronroco sounds great:



And the Turkish Buzuq:



I think adding new stringed instruments changes the way one thinks of the guitar and adds new motivation for the humble six string ...

Re: “Other” guitars ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:49 pm
by dubkitty
there are scads of odd guitar-esque instruments in Cuban, Portugese, and i think Brazilian and Borinqueno music as well as Mexican music.

Re: “Other” guitars ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:18 pm
by JereFuzz
dubkitty wrote:there are scads of odd guitar-esque instruments in Cuban, Portugese, and i think Brazilian and Borinqueno music as well as Mexican music.


I am eye-balling the Puerto Rican Cuatro and the Mexican Bajo Sexto. But that Ronroco just looks/sounds cool ...

Re: “Other” guitars ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:25 pm
by adamajah
Oud

Re: “Other” guitars ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:56 pm
by JereFuzz
adamajah wrote:Oud


Eye-balling this too ...

Re: “Other” guitars ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:13 pm
by gnomethrone
Bajo sexto / quinto is badass. Also its not super guitar-ish but I was listening to this lady get down on a monochord and now I want one:
https://trineopsahl.bandcamp.com/track/graceful-like-a-river

Re: “Other” guitars ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:49 pm
by Dandolin
a/k/a Requinto Jarocho


Re: “Other” guitars ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:55 pm
by Achtane
I totally recommend getting a sanshin if you ever have the opportunity.
It's like a banjo except you sound like an old samurai movie.

Re: “Other” guitars ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:15 pm
by JereFuzz
gnomethrone wrote:Bajo sexto / quinto is badass. Also its not super guitar-ish but I was listening to this lady get down on a monochord and now I want one:
https://trineopsahl.bandcamp.com/track/graceful-like-a-river


I fell in love with the harp with this song:



Even though I don’t think it’s a harp :)

Re: “Other” guitars ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:17 pm
by JereFuzz
gnomethrone wrote:Bajo sexto / quinto is badass. Also its not super guitar-ish but I was listening to this lady get down on a monochord and now I want one:
https://trineopsahl.bandcamp.com/track/graceful-like-a-river


When I hear the Bajo Sexto I think intro to fight fire with fire ...

Re: “Other” guitars ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:42 pm
by JereFuzz
Achtane wrote:I totally recommend getting a sanshin if you ever have the opportunity.
It's like a banjo except you sound like an old samurai movie.


On my list ...


Re: “Other” guitars ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:35 pm
by repoman
I have a banjo, its really fun and I find it never disappointing to mess around on like guitar is sometimes.

Re: “Other” guitars ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:58 pm
by JereFuzz
Dandolin wrote:a/k/a Requinto Jarocho



Wow, great stuff

Re: “Other” guitars ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:05 am
by Dandolin
Yeah, I love that he seems to be just taking a break at the workshop and he picks up this requinto and burns through this Bach/Jarochero fire dance fantasia on the cazh.... Love the subtly boxy but deep sonority of the instrument too....

Re: “Other” guitars ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:49 am
by BetterOffShred
repoman wrote:I have a banjo, its really fun and I find it never disappointing to mess around on like guitar is sometimes.

I have one too, and you're right .. it's always entertaining. I learned some rolls and shit, but mostly I still just fuck around with it.