Advice for removing pcb from a SG to install Lace pickups

Moderators: Ghost Hip, metalmariachi

Advice for removing pcb from a SG to install Lace pickups

Postby proceedeth » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:00 pm

ILF bros,

I have a 2009 Gibson SG that has a PCB I'd like to remove and install wiring within. I have built some DIY guitar pedal stuff but have never touched a guitar's wiring. I'll be installing a Lace Drop and Gain humbuckers - the bridge is -$38 on amazon! and they are offering an 15% additional audio harmony discount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAHQKMM.

I thought about getting a wiring kit from Stewmac but i've read Lace suggests and works best with 250k pots. The Stew Mac kitttp://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Wiring_Kits/Premium_Wiring_Kit_for_Gibson_SG.html comes with 500k pot so i'd have to source my own 250ks, seem like it's somewhat counter productive to go this route. Does anyone have any advice for a kit or components to get to accommodate the Lace pickups?

Thank you!
proceedeth

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Advice for removing pcb from a SG to install Lace pickup

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:41 am

You definitely want to go with the 250k pots. I'd email their customer service and ask, I'm sure they have heard and answered the same question.
BetterOffShred

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kosta » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:05 pm

If Lace suggests 250k pots, I’d go with 250k pots. I personally like audio taper for volume controls and linear taper for tone controls. And then you’ll need two capacitors for your tone controls. I use .047m for most everything and get good results from the sprague orange drop caps.
Object Object : Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:30 pm

kosta wrote:If Lace suggests 250k pots, I’d go with 250k pots. I personally like audio taper for volume controls and linear taper for tone controls. And then you’ll need two capacitors for your tone controls. I use .047m for most everything and get good results from the sprague orange drop caps.

I like 68n (.068 or 683) in most guitars. The difference isn't that extreme. Lace sensors are definitely a different animal, so as we said before, go with what they recommend. I've read 500k makes them harsh as hell..
BetterOffShred

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby calfzilla » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:31 pm

I would stay away from a pre-wired harness. You never know if the lead will be long enough. Best to source your own parts.

Maybe contact Lace and ask them for a wiring diagram specifically for the drop and gains; they might suggest a different capacitor.
calfzilla

committed
committed

Postby proceedeth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:29 pm

thanks guys - ended up with a Lace Hammer Claw neck and Drop and Gain bridge

I received the following from Lace

All Lace pickups are designed and developed around 250 pots and.022 caps. However, most users replacing humbucker pickups simply do not bother to switch them out and roll with the 500k pots and .047 caps in their instruments. Gibson and ESP do the same. They seem very happy with the outcome. The major difference is that higher value pots bring additional brilliance to the top end and drastically reduce the amount of taper/roll-off (no Strat volume swells). So it really comes down to a matter of taste, preference, the amp you use, the guitar, pedals and style(s) of music one performs.
proceedeth

uncommitted
uncommitted

Return to Guitar and Bass