Fender apparently just doing whatever this year...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Fender apparently just doing whatever this year...

Postby ummohyeah » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:23 pm

The Pao Ferro on my Player Jaguar looks good. Not very vibrant, but it's umm... a $650 guitar. Thing sounds good. I might sell my player Jaguar though, I just ordered the Johnny Marr Jaguar which is the guitar I've always wanted. I like the Player Jaguar, my only really complaints being how thin the neck is, the bridge (which has just as many problems as the original Jaguar bridges unfortunately, despite my original post lauding it), and the pickguard cosmetics (where'd the plates go).

Pretty tempted to pick up the Mustang bass in a few months, though. Anyone have any thoughts on those? I'm not a bass player but I'm putting together a decent rig to have here for jamming purposes.

Also, love or hate The Strokes, objectively the first three albums are pretty flawless. First album alone I think stands on its own and while I haven't listened to it in years I know I'd still enjoy it -- but I get why people scoff at bands like them. Pretty passé group to throw hate at, though.
ummohyeah

committed
committed

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:40 am

The first Strokes album is a lot like early Weezer to me - the pieces are all there and it sounds good overall but it's so monotonous, all midtempo no interesting swerves.
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby Muff_Diver » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:31 am

The strokes are so fucking good.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby repoman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:31 pm

You can use some of that beeswax finishing oil stuff on fret boards to darken it a lot.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Sonaboy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:53 pm

Muff_Diver wrote:The strokes are so fucking good.

Never truly understood their appeal, but I'm in my mid-40s, so whatevz

Like, people 12 years younger than me think they're SUPER IMPORTANT for some reason.
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby Lurker13 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:44 pm

Sonaboy wrote:Like, people 12 years younger than me think they're SUPER IMPORTANT for some reason.

I think the music people listen to in their formative years is usually the music they love the most.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:57 pm

Chris Rock's argument that you'll always love the music you were into when you first started getting laid has a lot going for it.
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby Lurker13 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:59 pm

ummohyeah wrote:Pretty passé group to throw hate at, though.

Hate is a strong word, at least for me. So just to be clear, I certainly don't hate the Strokes. I just don't care for their music and found it surprising that one of their guitarists was getting a signature Fender. But to each his own, so if it makes other people happy, then more power to them.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby aen » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Sonaboy wrote:
Muff_Diver wrote:The strokes are so fucking good.

Never truly understood their appeal,

It is a baffling mystery.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:30 pm

Huey morgan (scooby snacks) has a radio show on weekends. Lays the whole NYC thing on a bit thick. Like, we geddit mate, talk about summat else! Anyway, he sometimes chats with the host on after him towards the end of his slot. She was bigging up having the strokes' guitarist on for an interview and Huey starts taking the piss a bit. He said something like the strokes just appeared on the scene saying "we're a new york band from new york yadda yadda". huey met them and asked how come he hadn't seen them around before, seeing as how he's such a new york guy and he'd been around ages. Anyway, he basically called the strokes a bunch of posh boy posers coz they grew up in some swiss boarding school or something, just before the guitarist came on for an interview.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby aen » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:32 pm

hahaha zing!
I don't recall the exact accusation, but one of them is some kind of rich kid/model? Son of zillionaire photographer?
Ahahaha, just looked it up. Son of model manager.
A MODEL MANAGER.
Chankgeez wrote:
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:03 pm

The Please Kill Me for '00s NY rock that came out recently is a bizarre read - an oral history of a scene that was pretty much a commercial failure and not actually important.

It would have been better if the author committed to the real story of "these are the places and people I used to do a bunch of coke with!!!" and just made it a memoir about gentrifying Brooklyn.
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby ummohyeah » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:21 pm

Pretty sure most of the bands from NYC to get radio play (or not) in the past decade and a half are all rich kids, not sure how being the son of a model manager makes you any less of a musician though (how has nobody mentioned that Albert Hammond Jr's dad is... Albert Hammond). I mean just go to NYC, nobody there is from New York, they're all rich transplants, more or less. Even Crown Heights and Brownsville are affluent, gentrified areas. Brooklyn is the most decadent place in the USA.

The other guitar player of The Strokes had an Epiphone Elitist signature model out in the early to mid 2000s and it was a very sweet Riviera.

On the subject of Fender Player series -- I sold mine to a co-worker. He's stoked, I'm stoked. Was a good guitar.
ummohyeah

committed
committed

Postby aen » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:41 pm

ummohyeah wrote: I mean just go to NYC, nobody there is from New York, they're all rich transplants, more or less.

Well, yeah i understand you gotta get rich to live in New York. But the Strokes make garbage music and are rich kids, and that's three or four strikes, depending on my mental state.
Chankgeez wrote:
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Lurker13 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:33 pm

I went to Sam Ash tonight. The salesman stuck a Player Jaguar in my face, so I plugged it into an Orange Rocker 30 combo and gave it a run. It played great, too. I'm seriously contemplating buying one.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass