i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Moderators: Ghost Hip, metalmariachi

Re: i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Postby repoman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Maybe try halfrounds? Daddario sells them, they are rounds that have a bit of the tops ground off so they are kind of in between rounds and flats.
Just vvalk avvay.
repoman

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:49 pm

Aghartha wrote:I threw some 11-50 flats on my telecaster and I'm amazed I never thought of doing this before. So smooth, less high harmonics. Love it!

This is how I roll too. Been using the same set for...4+ years
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:06 pm

quarterpound wrote:anyone got a rec for a set of roundwounds that are not too noisy to pick-slide on? I like the sound of rounds and the opportunity to make a little scrapey scrape, but the set I have now is way too noisy for some things.

GHS Nickle Rockers have slightly flattened winding wire. A bit mellower than normal round wounds and a bit less string noise, but not all the way to flats. The Burnished Nickle Rockers are the same but polished--They seem to have more round-wound-ish texture than ground wounds.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
D.o.S. wrote:
Chankgeez wrote:No idea what the Spacemen 3 were using
Drugs. All of the drugs.
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:55 pm

Gone Fission wrote:
quarterpound wrote:anyone got a rec for a set of roundwounds that are not too noisy to pick-slide on? I like the sound of rounds and the opportunity to make a little scrapey scrape, but the set I have now is way too noisy for some things.

GHS Nickle Rockers have slightly flattened winding wire. A bit mellower than normal round wounds and a bit less string noise, but not all the way to flats. The Burnished Nickle Rockers are the same but polished--They seem to have more round-wound-ish texture than ground wounds.

I had a set of these at one point and remember liking them :thumb:
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:45 pm

The "Low Tuning" Nickle Rockers, 11-58, used to be my standard set. This was the SRV set he played down a half step, though often with a 13 for the high E flat. I tuned to standard on a fat-necked Strat. Loved the sound, but I doubt my hands could keep up with that anymore--too much other stuff keeping me from playing all day.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
D.o.S. wrote:
Chankgeez wrote:No idea what the Spacemen 3 were using
Drugs. All of the drugs.
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to Guitar and Bass