i just put on flatwounds for the first time



Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Postby repoman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Maybe try halfrounds? Daddario sells them, they are rounds that have a bit of the tops ground off so they are kind of in between rounds and flats.
repoman

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:16 pm
Location: Edge City

Re: i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Postby Jero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:49 pm

Aghartha wrote:I threw some 11-50 flats on my telecaster and I'm amazed I never thought of doing this before. So smooth, less high harmonics. Love it!

This is how I roll too. Been using the same set for...4+ years
Jero

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 10464
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:12 am
Location: here

Re: i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Postby Gone Fission » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:06 pm

quarterpound wrote:anyone got a rec for a set of roundwounds that are not too noisy to pick-slide on? I like the sound of rounds and the opportunity to make a little scrapey scrape, but the set I have now is way too noisy for some things.


GHS Nickle Rockers have slightly flattened winding wire. A bit mellower than normal round wounds and a bit less string noise, but not all the way to flats. The Burnished Nickle Rockers are the same but polished--They seem to have more round-wound-ish texture than ground wounds.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3534
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:50 pm
Location: DC/MD

Re: i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Postby Jero » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:55 pm

Gone Fission wrote:
quarterpound wrote:anyone got a rec for a set of roundwounds that are not too noisy to pick-slide on? I like the sound of rounds and the opportunity to make a little scrapey scrape, but the set I have now is way too noisy for some things.


GHS Nickle Rockers have slightly flattened winding wire. A bit mellower than normal round wounds and a bit less string noise, but not all the way to flats. The Burnished Nickle Rockers are the same but polished--They seem to have more round-wound-ish texture than ground wounds.

I had a set of these at one point and remember liking them :thumb:
Jero

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 10464
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:12 am
Location: here

Re: i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Postby Gone Fission » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:45 pm

The "Low Tuning" Nickle Rockers, 11-58, used to be my standard set. This was the SRV set he played down a half step, though often with a 13 for the high E flat. I tuned to standard on a fat-necked Strat. Loved the sound, but I doubt my hands could keep up with that anymore--too much other stuff keeping me from playing all day.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3534
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:50 pm
Location: DC/MD

Re: i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Postby Dapper Bandit » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Took the flats off for a while (Chromes have a very weird tension in the middle strings) and went back to rounds. Didn't care for them and threw on a set of Thomastik Infelds which are a real revelation! They seem a bit livelier in the highs and not so flubby in the bass register.

Ended up with a set of 13s tuned to standard, so not a lot of bending to be had but not missing that at all.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Re: i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:36 am

That sounds fun. I'd like to have a guitar with flats on permanently but it can't be my two main ones because I like bending too much
some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck


I make music sometimes:

https://facebook.com/mediocrisyband/
https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/
coldbrightsunlight

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 9209
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Postby Dapper Bandit » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:48 pm

You can bend on flats, I could bend on the 11s I had, the 13s can bend but I'm not a maniac so I don't try to go wild on them. If you wanted to try flats I would suggest dropping down one gauge compared to your preferred rounds and you should get close.

Also, D'Addario Chromes sound lush but the A, D and G strings are way too high a gauge for the sets they're in, they may be a little pricier where you are but the Thomastik Swings are actually a balanced tension set, which is a delight for me.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Re: i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed May 01, 2019 7:54 am

Sorry probably didn't explain myself well. I've used flats a bunch and I know you can bend with flats. I have them on basses and I had a set on one of my guitars for months. But when I had them on my guitar I couldn't bend nearly as much as I like to when playing some types of music. That's why I want them on a separate guitar.
some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck


I make music sometimes:

https://facebook.com/mediocrisyband/
https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/
coldbrightsunlight

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 9209
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Postby qersty » Sun May 26, 2019 2:38 pm

I put D'addario chrome flats on my Walmoth bass cause I found all the treble unusable in a trio. Sounds so fat and middy
qersty

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:11 am

Re: i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Postby dubkitty » Tue May 28, 2019 7:56 am

i'm a true believer in flats on bass, at least for some applications. rounds are great when you want that bite, but flats give you a HUGE sound that you really can't get with roundwounds no matter how much you dick with your EQ. in an ideal world i'd have both (i'm working on it). what would REALLY kill is a Jazz Bass with nylon-tape flats, which are the bomb for faux-standup lines.
"i run with wolves and sleep beneath the stars
the clothes i wear is just to hide the scars
the cross i bear is etched into my skin
i run with wolves
they are my next of kin"--Brix, 2019

"your joys are counterfeit
this happiness corrupt political shit"--Richey Edwards, 1991

"the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder"--Richard J. Daley, 1968

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

SCARING THE CHILDREN SINCE 1970
dubkitty

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 11166
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 pm
Location: somewhere between Jerry Garcia and Neil Halstead...OK, Charlottesville if you must

Re: i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Postby qersty » Tue May 28, 2019 1:49 pm

dubkitty wrote:i'm a true believer in flats on bass, at least for some applications. rounds are great when you want that bite, but flats give you a HUGE sound that you really can't get with roundwounds no matter how much you dick with your EQ. in an ideal world i'd have both (i'm working on it). what would REALLY kill is a Jazz Bass with nylon-tape flats, which are the bomb for faux-standup lines.

Yeah the low-mid you get with flats really is something different. Idk if its cause they are new but I feel I still get the agression and bite i need
qersty

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:11 am

Re: i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Postby dubkitty » Wed May 29, 2019 8:28 am

some brands of bass flats are mighty bright. i had to take a set of Ernie Ball flats off the JB because they were just too toppy for me. i forget what's on there now, Fender or LaBella i think.
"i run with wolves and sleep beneath the stars
the clothes i wear is just to hide the scars
the cross i bear is etched into my skin
i run with wolves
they are my next of kin"--Brix, 2019

"your joys are counterfeit
this happiness corrupt political shit"--Richey Edwards, 1991

"the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder"--Richard J. Daley, 1968

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

SCARING THE CHILDREN SINCE 1970
dubkitty

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 11166
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 pm
Location: somewhere between Jerry Garcia and Neil Halstead...OK, Charlottesville if you must

Previous

Return to Guitar and Bass



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.