· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Guitar and bass lounge at the Wang Bar.
Post a reply

i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:58 pm

Put them on a semi-hollow. I like them so far. They don't do that snarly low note thing that roundwounds do, so I wouldn't use them with every guitar, but this is my "warm" guitar and I wanted to lean into that. The feel of doing chord changes is really nice, and there's no string noise. I'm really surprised at how great it sounds with a bunch of heavy dirt, the very low end is wooly in a nice way and the midrange has a unique texture. I would use on tour with any kind of heavy band, since the low noise, rich mids, easy chording and (allegedly) longer life would be helpful. They're more complex than "roundwounds but mellower" which is what I had heard.

Thank you for sharing my experiences online.

Re: i just put on flatwounds for the first time

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:04 pm

friendship wrote: I'm really surprised at how great it sounds with a bunch of heavy dirt..

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Outside of 1 set of round wounds, I've only used flats on my jag. My LP still has rounds, but I wouldn't be opposed to using flats on it as well. My favorite are actually Fender''s flats. I had pyramids, the G string broke the first band practice I had them on. They were utterly lifeless compared to the Fenders my Jag included in the case. I left them on for atleast a year due to the price. Getting another set of Fenders madee a real happy boy after that.

Funny side story: my Jag is a Marr Jag, my booklet wasn't signed, so I took it with me when I saw Marr in Chicago 4 years ago or so. I got t signed after the show and he was stoked to tall about it, took him a few to realize what the booklet was that he was signing and was all like "Oh! You have the guitar!?" And I'm like "Hell yea man, it's the most perfect guitar ever, I love how it plays with Flatwounds!" And his eyes get real big and says "why have I not done that!? I'm putting some Flatwounds on one ASAP" and I'm all like "Doooo ittt, Johnny, DO IT"

Or something really close to that. Flatwounds for life

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 pm

I love flatwounds. I loaned out my guitar that has them in it and miss the strings. I just love the silent sliding around of chords. I kind of want them on my sg but that just seems so strange...

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:46 am

I also seek a semi-hollow guitar with flats :snax:
I have Fender flats on my fretless '99 J-bass (MIM). Went unused for 3 years and the thing was still in perfect tuning when I revisited it, earlier this year.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:05 am

Flats on a tele is something else.. I have a frankenV with godin Hotrail type pickups in it with flat and its just the best for jangles and slide stuff :thumb: as for long life...I think I put a new set on my pbass in 96.. But I can't remember if I actual did change the strings that when on in 95 when I had to replace the bridge and tuners because they were bent, rusty and missing buts :lol:

Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:43 am

Yea, my Jazz has the same set of stainless flats I put on it in '98 or so. Still has enough zing, and the stainless never feels old.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:54 am

Mudfuzz wrote:Flats on a tele is something else..

:hello:

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:00 am

Jim Halpert out here with the block inlays

Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:16 pm

Who's Jim Halpert?

That's Joe Messina, bet ch.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:40 pm

Flats with fuzz or lots of dirt can be awesome because there's less harmonics off the strings to clutter/cancel/clash-with your electronically generated ones. Likewise, 12-string flat sets usually let the octave strings chime better, even dead clean.

Roundwound user's lazy version: use your dang tone control when playing into octave-up fuzz, shimmer, reverse crystals, Mode 7, etc. I was stunned how much difference it made the first time I did it with the Zoom MS "Ice Delay" algorithm. Just try it. You really have to.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:58 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Who's Jim Halpert?

That's Joe Messina, bet ch.

Jim Halpert was a regular in Motown's house band, played on a lot of the timeless classics.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:23 pm

Yeah, but he was the vibraslapper (or whatever you'd call a vibraslap player). :idk:

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:50 am

I love flats on my bass. I have tried them on guitars but prefer rounds. I should give them another chance though.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:59 am

Flats on jaguars are fun fun fun. Flats with fuzz sound super nice and smooth. Currently got round on all my guitars but 3/4 of my basses have flats for that fun action.

On The balance of things I prefer aggressive rounds tone with fuzz on guitar because I like all the high harmonics
Post a reply