More "bass" than "VI"?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: More "bass" than "VI"?

Postby indianDYsummer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:51 pm

I put a staytrem and a mint guard on my black one. I like it. i hadnt thought of a series mod. i think im gonna do that.
indianDYsummer

committed
committed

Postby drolo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:27 am

karmablock wrote:I've planned to do either one of these.
This you don't need to buy anything extra

If anyone wants to try this wiring on a Squier VI, note that you will have to disconnect the small wire that goes from the ground (black) wire to the metal pickup claw on each of the 3 pickups.
Otherwise in series mode bridge and neck pickup are shorted.

(took me hours of fumbling and cursing until I finally figured that one out ...)

The claws will still be grounded through the mounting springs that contact the conductive paint covering the pickup cavities, so no worries

The series modes are super beefy! :animal:
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Also I may have switched the bridge and neck pickups. The bridge pu was significantly louder and now they're all pretty even. Mine has been re wired several times but I think it is not the stock pu config
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:00 pm

If you play it through a bass amp it will sound more like a bass but if your role in the band is to be the bass player than a more typical bass would probably be a better choice. The Bass VI just doesn't have the scale length, string mass, or pickup design to sound like a proper bass. I've seen bassists use Bass VIs in bands but in those cases they were either way in the background for the style of music or it was like Brian Cook in Russian Circles where he has Taurus pedals on the floor to keep hold on a commanding low end while he does guitar-ish stuff.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:42 pm

I play Bass VI in my band, but we have a second bass player and I'm using it more as a really heavy rhythm guitar. I can get convincing regular bass tones out of it through my rig while playing single strings though. The strings are the biggest issue followed by pickups. I really like the Quarter Pounder I put in my Squier but with the tele I built I found that humbuckers gave me something closer to a bass with it.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby greyscales » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:40 pm

In a pedal-related solution, I've never had a problem playing Bass VI with a Meatbox (no octave) and getting a solid traditional "bass" sound. And lately I've just been using the eq on my amp to push it.
Using a bass amp and playing single strings really does half of the battle.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby maggot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:59 am

What about flatwound strings?
maggot

committed
committed

Previous

Return to Guitar and Bass