Upgrading amp

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Upgrading amp

Postby zZzZombie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:23 pm

For years i had no amp and played mainly acoustic finally i bought a melody maker and eventual a small vox ac4tv with 8 inch speaker this is really my only amp experience. SO i decided to buy a 20w model t clone and now need a cabinet but have no experience with them. Was wondering what some ideas were on size and wattage i found a few 4x12's i can trade my vox for but id kinda like to keep it. Oh also i got laid off after i paid the amp off So price is an issue i i dont necessarily need amazing just something to get going that can get upgraded or replaced when cash is not as big of a deal.

other than that if anyone has random facts i should know about the model t im all ears.
zZzZombie

interested
interested

Re: Upgrading amp

Postby zZzZombie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:48 pm

I guess its best to state what i am looking at for reference a marshal mg series or a vintage heil sound 4x12 that i wont know much about till i get out there. I was told getting loaded lowed speakers like 4 ohms keeps an amp cooler also. Any truth to that?
Last edited by zZzZombie on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
zZzZombie

interested
interested

Postby gnomethrone » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:44 pm

Don't get the MG. I've never tried a heil sound but if its cheap give it a shot.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby zZzZombie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:30 pm

So i have heard vintage cab construction is a big deal but is this really a luxury thing or should i just focus on the old heil. I cant even find a damn speaker made by the company online to reference it and one of the jacks looks really badly dented on the top slant cab. What do i need to look for as far as damage that would lead to it not working the damn things look like tanks and im sure they are heavier than they look.Also if it is 16 ohm would that mean i couldnt combine it with another cab due to the impedance doubling to 32 or do i have this all wrong, do i want the original speakers in it or am i going to have to throw those away and replace them?
zZzZombie

interested
interested

Postby antennafarm » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Vintage construction isn't a big deal. GOOD construction is a big deal. And, really, if something SOUNDS good but is built like shit, then guess what, it's an awesome cab. There are also poorly made, shitty vintage cabs, too. If it's not thoroughly vetted (like, say, Ampeg cabs) or one of the weird ones where it has a particular kind of sound (old crappy Silvertone cabs).

Always remember: VINTAGE is a BUZZWORD meant to get you to BUY SHIT. Lots of old stuff ("vintage") SUCKED. There might be a reason why you can't find much reference on the stuff: it sucked. I don't know, but that's a distinct possibility. When it comes to something like that, if you can't fuck with it in real life (it sounds like you're online shopping), pass unless you've got money to spare (it sounds like you don't). 4x12's come up VERY frequently and you can get them for a song (I got my Sunn 6x12 for $30! Ampeg V4 cab for like $150!).
ANTIMAGIC MEDIA - antimagic.net
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby Iommic Pope » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:42 pm

gnomethrone wrote:Don't get the MG. I've never tried a heil sound but if its cheap give it a shot.

This.

Try old Sheffield loaded peaveys if you can find em cheap.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby zZzZombie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:09 am

Im not online shopping im just far away from the sellers and wont visit them for another week or so. Also my amp is still being finished should be another week or 2 i was told should i hold off until i have the amp that i will be using mainly with the cab? Kinda seems like a no brainier to just wait, The heil cab looks interesting its at a music shop vs a private seller so that seems to be a plus.
zZzZombie

interested
interested

Postby imJonWain » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:03 pm

I recommend avatar cabs, they can be found quite cheap loaded or unloaded used especially if you don't mind them dinged up a bit. They are also pretty light for their size.
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby zZzZombie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:06 pm

So i came across a Marshall mg412a in limited edition purple haze, kinda odd since im having my model t made in marshall purple. It has a tag on it saying celestion speakers and all but i cant find any information on it at all. Is it just a custom colored mg412a or does anyone know if it came with upgraded speakers at all? Really interested since i just finished paying off my model T and should be getting it soon and still have not located a cab for it.

Also its at a pawn shop so im worried the last seller put the celestion tag on it to sell it, when i asked if i could open it up to check out the speakers and make sure nothing funny was going on he said i could pop a hand off and look but i had no cash in hand so i didnt call him a jack ass. They have it marked with the MG100hdfx head for 540 and i dont want the head at all so im trying to figure out how much i should offer them. I really dont want to pay over 200, but the only option localy besides this is a fender mustang 4x12 thats like 249 out the box new.
zZzZombie

interested
interested

Postby kosta » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:53 pm

Do you need this for gigging or for practicing? And what style of music? Any droptuning?
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Return to Guitar and Bass