Classic Player Jazzmaster and constancy in build quality

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Classic Player Jazzmaster and constancy in build quality

Postby Faldoe » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:32 pm

Everytime I go to GC I play the CPJM. I really want one and will likely buy one used. Since it has been released, has there been any changes or modifications to it by Fender or is it the same?

Also, can it be fitted with a Mastery Bridge?
Faldoe

Re: Classic Player Jazzmaster and constancy in build quality

Postby Wittgenstein » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:36 pm

It has a tune-o-matic, so you can't just drop a mastery in. You will have to remove the thimbles, fill the holes, and redrill. You may want to go with staytrem instead, as you won't have to redrill, you'll just have to remove the thimbles and drop in their conversion thimbles (you'll still probably want a pro to do this).

Save yourself the pain, hassle, and $$$ of all the mods you'll need to do to make this guitar kick ass by just shelling out for a used 60s Lacquer Jazzmaster or the Road Worn model (if you can get past the silly relicing). Both are big upgrades over the CP for not that much more money. Awesome right out of the box, and easier to upgrade.
This course, a perpetual alternation of determining what is true, and then setting aside this determining, constitutes, strictly speaking, the steady everyday life and activity of perpetual consciousness, a consciousness which fancies itself to be moving in the realm of truth.
Wittgenstein

Supporter
Supporter

Postby weebles » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:03 pm

Mastery now makes a replacement bridge for TOM-equipped guitars. So no need to drill or anything. Just drop it in.

Staytrem, on the other hand, just stopped producing the conversion thimbles and have no plans to producing bridge replacements for TOM-equipped guitars.
weebles

experienced
experienced

Postby indianDYsummer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:06 pm

i think the classic lacquer series still has new/smaller thimbles and need to be ripped our for a bridge swap. I could be wrong. But sounds like mastery has a drop in option that should work for both anyway.

For the CP, i like the bridge pickup and would put a different vintage styled neck pickup in.

I have a CP and it's great. But, i also have one of those discontinued staytrem AOM replacements which are hard to find. I also like the neck more cuz it's got some meat on it. Never played the lacquer series but my '62 AVRI was a little skinny... i think the neck is similar on the 60s lacquer.

The used market for CP is way lower than 60s lacquer right now. On my CL, there's a burst CP JM for $450!
indianDYsummer

committed
committed

Postby Wittgenstein » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:26 pm

weebles wrote:Mastery now makes a replacement bridge for TOM-equipped guitars. So no need to drill or anything. Just drop it in.

That would be cool, but are you sure about that? Website still says you have to fill and redrill:

https://masterybridge.com/which-to-buy/

AOM bridges require you to dowel and drill for our standard USA thimbles.

REPEAT: We only make one vintage USA spec size thimble, if you currently have a threaded post bridge design on your guitar you will need to convert it to accept our USA spec thimbles. For more information on our thimbles visit our specs page. It is recommended a luthier replace these if you are unfamiliar with the process. It’s not very time consuming.
This course, a perpetual alternation of determining what is true, and then setting aside this determining, constitutes, strictly speaking, the steady everyday life and activity of perpetual consciousness, a consciousness which fancies itself to be moving in the realm of truth.
Wittgenstein

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Faldoe » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Hmm. Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll have to wait for a MIJ one. Someone had a CPJM on craigslist near me for $450 but they didn't respond to my emails.

The MIJ stuff has gone up in price and I haven't seen them for less than $700 around here - without mods. I regrettably sold my 96' MIJ JM with mastery bridge and Curtis Novak pickups for like $850 maybe six years ago.
Faldoe

Postby weebles » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Wittgenstein wrote:
weebles wrote:Mastery now makes a replacement bridge for TOM-equipped guitars. So no need to drill or anything. Just drop it in.

That would be cool, but are you sure about that? Website still says you have to fill and redrill:

https://masterybridge.com/which-to-buy/

AOM bridges require you to dowel and drill for our standard USA thimbles.

REPEAT: We only make one vintage USA spec size thimble, if you currently have a threaded post bridge design on your guitar you will need to convert it to accept our USA spec thimbles. For more information on our thimbles visit our specs page. It is recommended a luthier replace these if you are unfamiliar with the process. It’s not very time consuming.

Yeah, looks like you are right. I never got past the price to read the details.

I have had a few emails with staytrem though. Pretty disappointed in their discontinuing the thimbles. Maybe they'll bring it back soon. IMO that seems to be the better bang for your buck.
weebles

experienced
experienced

Postby Wittgenstein » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:17 pm

It seems like a mistake on their part to discontinue those conversion thimbles. Right now they're getting the majority of the business from CP, Mascis, etc. owners because their bridge was the easiest to swap in.
Wittgenstein

Supporter
Supporter

Postby weebles » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:59 pm

For real. When I talked to them I mentioned that exact thing. Oh well. Maybe they'll bring it back. I held off on buying one for my JMJM because wifey was going to get it for me as a Christmas present. Then they discontinued it and now I'm just scouring ebay and reverb every day.
weebles

experienced
experienced

Postby waltdogg » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:45 am

yet another reason not to buy a jm without the proper bridge.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Guitar and Bass