Filtertrons vs. WRHB for bass vi

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Filtertrons vs. WRHB for bass vi

Postby BoatRich » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:40 pm

Has anyone tried either with baritones/bass vi? I've been thinking of trying some TV Jones or Lollar Regals in the neck of my tele build. So far I've tried an Alumitone Deathbucker, a vintage Dirty Fingers, GFS Gold Foils, and I've also considered a Duncan Phat Cat.

I'm looking for bright/crisp clean tones that'll blend well with a tele quarter pounder in the bridge. I play through a bunch of Marshall circuits and mainly play hardcore/other heavier stuff.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Filtertrons vs. WRHB for bass vi

Postby antennafarm » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:14 am

please report on results w/ the pickups you've already tried!

not sure about baritones, but filtertrons might be cool. emphasize top end and tighten up that bottom.
ANTIMAGIC MEDIA - antimagic.net
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby BoatRich » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:31 am

Dirty Fingers was super bright and weird but not in a good way. Alumitones are honestly sick, just too hi-fi? I guess? The gold foils may have just been a dud set, but they were really weak sounding. The Phat Cat I haven't been able to try yet. The quarter pounder is my absolute favorite bridge pickup. In this guitar it's bright and handles gain incredibly well. It sounds almost like a P-90? I also have one in the bridge of my other bass vi, and that one has a single sized alumitone in the neck and used to have one in the bridge. I like the alumitones in that a lot, but I want something different for this one. More aggressive I guess? I use the other one to practice at home and write ambient stuff so it's really useful in that guitar.

I was thinking the same thing about the filtertron thing. I was thinking a TV Jones Powertron or Magnatron neck for that? In gold to match the all black hardware and brass saddles/dark green paint.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby karmablock » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:57 am

Dude that guitar sounds awesome!
karmablock

experienced
experienced

Postby ognoy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:55 am

I had a Lollartron in the bridge on my Hagstrom Baritone Viking. Sounded awesome! Full and clear.
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kosta » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:26 pm

I'd try something Filtertron'ish I think. I feel like a WRHB would be too airy for a Bass VI tuned instrument.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Return to Guitar and Bass