Your thoughts on this guitar

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Your thoughts on this guitar

Postby DRodriguez » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:45 pm

Millimetric is the coolest builder on the market right now. Surprisingly affordable, and definitely candian.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kosta » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:48 pm

DRodriguez wrote:Millimetric is the coolest builder on the market right now. Surprisingly affordable, and definitely candian.

:success:
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby sylnau » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Ill contact them to hav emore info on wait time (my tele might be already sold),
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:15 pm

Kosta, how is the feel of the Millimetric compared to a Les Paul or a Strat?
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:43 pm

Just saw a vid on his Facebook page... not really a traditional instruments.

Kosta, do you have other recommandation available here?

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kosta » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:22 pm

For more traditional stuff, how about a Potvin, Syl? He's in Toronto I think. Edit: He's in Ottawa. Those are supposed to be quite nice. I've not played one though. I also really like the look of Frank Brothers guitars (also in Toronto.) They're Les Pauls of a sort.

Regarding the Milimetrics – I have an MG6 with his single coil pickups (which are custom pickups inspired by Travis Bean single coils.) Mine is a maple body and a maple neck. The neck profile is sort of broad and flat. It's incredible comfortable for chording and soloing for me, and Florian's fretwork and set-up was flawless right out of the box. Yes, it is a very modern design, so if the looks aren't your cup of tea, that is understandable, but it honestly plays as well or better than my best guitars. In hand, it feels and balances a bit like a Gibson SG but with a wider, flatter fingerboard. The pickups are incredible! Incredibly responsive and clear, but not sterile. Florian's attention to detail and the overall fit and finish of the guitar is second to none. Really love this instrument.
Last edited by kosta on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DRodriguez » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Just realized he no longer has his pickups for sale on his page (; ___ ; )

I desperately wanted some, guess I waited too long.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:59 pm

kosta wrote:For more traditional stuff, how about a Potvin, Syl? He's in Toronto I think. Those are supposed to be quite nice. I've not played one though. I also really like the look of Frank Brothers guitars (also in Toronto.) They're Les Pauls of a sort.

Regarding the Milimetrics – I have an MG6 with his single coil pickups (which are custom pickups inspired by Travis Bean single coils.) Mine is a maple body and a maple neck. The neck profile is sort of broad and flat. It's incredible comfortable for chording and soloing for me, and Florian's fretwork and set-up was flawless right out of the box. Yes, it is a very modern design, so if the looks aren't your cup of tea, that is understandable, but it honestly plays as well or better than my best guitars. In hand, it feels and balances a bit like a Gibson SG but with a wider, flatter fingerboard. The pickups are incredible! Incredibly responsive and clear, but not sterile. Florian's attention to detail and the overall fit and finish of the guitar is second to none. Really love this instrument.

Potvin seems cool... but way too expensive.
https://reverb.com/item/2192617-potvin- ... d-boutique

Thanks for the info on the Millimetric!

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kosta » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:19 pm

Yeah for sure man. Let me know if you have other questions.

The MG6 is more responsive and brighter than a Les Paul and more focused – yet with a broader frequency response – than a Tele. Something about the all-maple construction and the pickups, bridge and tailpiece being mounted to the neck really makes these things come alive. The pickups really sing when mounted into that construction. It's like a more open Firebird or a more articulate, high-fidelity gold-foil equipped guitar or something. Very unique.
Last edited by kosta on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:19 pm

but, Syl, if you get the Potvin, you can have a guitar with the same name as one of the best defensemen ever. Denis Potvin:

Still, he's no Bobby Orr:

:idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby popvulture » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:08 pm

Fwiw I chatted with the Millimetric guy recently, and he's waitlisted into 2018, so bit of a bummer there. Hopefully he'll hire some help one of these days.

I really like Fanos, though I don't own one. I've come close, but I just haven't found that golden one for me that isn't too wacky looking and/or doesn't have an extreme relic job. I've liked the ones with zero to mild relic jobs.

I vastly prefer the Alt de Factos over the Standards. The latter are cool, but there's a noticeable difference in quality. The Standards are perfectly good guitars, though.

Main thing I've loved about Fanos: pretty huge necks. The Standards I've played have felt thinner and a little flatter, but I have no idea about what variety of neck shapes they might offer on those.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:25 am

The Alt de Factos are too expensive for me. I really like the JM shape. I would prefer no relic at all... but it's not a turn off either.
The demo of the JM6 Standard that Reverb has made on YouTube sound great. From what the guys at Fano said on the NAMM video (last years) it's the same guitar has the Alt de Facto except for the pickups.

Yeah, I contacted the guy at Millimetric too... one year is too much for me (at the moment). I might visit him next summer to try his guitars (maybe for the next one).

popvulture wrote:The Standards I've played have felt thinner and a little flatter, but I have no idea about what variety of neck shapes they might offer on those.

Which model have you tried on the Standard serie? Did you tried the JM6?

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to Guitar and Bass