Acoustic/Electric or Hollowbody?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Acoustic/Electric or Hollowbody?

Postby neonblack » Mon May 16, 2016 4:57 pm

I've been looking into an acoustic guitar for some unplugged jams but being the ILFer I am, I wanna be able to run it through some pedals. But then I started thinking should I just get a hollowbody? Will it still be audible unplugged? Is there a good acoustic/electric for someone on a tight budget? My wife, kid, and neighbors thank you in advance
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Acoustic/Electric or Hollowbody?

Postby Chankgeez » Mon May 16, 2016 5:12 pm

neonblack wrote: Will it still be audible unplugged?

That depends on how loud you want it to be.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby neonblack » Mon May 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Just for home practice probably. Would a hollowbody sound even remotely like an acoustic when it's plugged up?
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon May 16, 2016 5:44 pm

If you're concerned mainly with practicing at home, I think a hollowbody'd be a good choice. Unplugged they're quieter than flat top acoustics.

A hollowbody probably wouldn't be great for an unplugged jam though. Not really loud enough for that.

Hollowbodies are good too because they have magnetic pickups. So, good for running through pedals. Wouldn't really sound like an acoustic though.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby oldangelmidnight » Mon May 16, 2016 9:26 pm

I've never played a big hollowbody but the smaller ones I've got aren't much louder unplugged than any of my other electric guitars unplugged.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Mon May 16, 2016 9:36 pm

The first question is what is the actual sound you want. A hollow body can sortra sound acoustic-ish but... an acoustic can sorta sound electric with a soundhole pickup.. but a lot of the big difference is strings and overtone interplay.. you will never totally lose those characteristics. For getting a hollow electric to be more acousticy those foil pickups all you nerds are into seem to work from what I have seen friends do. here is what a soundhole pickup on a acoustic [bass VI] sounds like through dirt https://soundcloud.com/myblackenedsoul/horn if I had used an instrument with normal pickups and electric strings it would not have been the same at all.
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon May 16, 2016 9:41 pm

Blackened Soul wrote: those foil pickups all you nerds are into
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Mon May 16, 2016 10:26 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:The first question is what is the actual sound you want. A hollow body can sortra sound acoustic-ish but... an acoustic can sorta sound electric with a soundhole pickup.. but a lot of the big difference is strings and overtone interplay.. you will never totally lose those characteristics. For getting a hollow electric to be more acousticy those foil pickups all you nerds are into seem to work from what I have seen friends do. here is what a soundhole pickup on a acoustic [bass VI] sounds like through dirt https://soundcloud.com/myblackenedsoul/horn if I had used an instrument with normal pickups and electric strings it would not have been the same at all.

Do you have a pic of the acoustic vi? That sounds rad. I was also going to recommend a sound hole pickup with pedals.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Blackened Soul » Tue May 17, 2016 12:37 am

BoatRich wrote:
Blackened Soul wrote:The first question is what is the actual sound you want. A hollow body can sortra sound acoustic-ish but... an acoustic can sorta sound electric with a soundhole pickup.. but a lot of the big difference is strings and overtone interplay.. you will never totally lose those characteristics. For getting a hollow electric to be more acousticy those foil pickups all you nerds are into seem to work from what I have seen friends do. here is what a soundhole pickup on a acoustic [bass VI] sounds like through dirt https://soundcloud.com/myblackenedsoul/horn if I had used an instrument with normal pickups and electric strings it would not have been the same at all.

Do you have a pic of the acoustic vi? That sounds rad. I was also going to recommend a sound hole pickup with pedals.

It's a cort bass I got on ebay for like $175, I drilled more holes in it for more tuners/strings. current pickup is wired into the preamp so I can use the EQ
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Guitar and Bass