Tuning a Ric down...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Tuning a Ric down...

Postby diocide » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:58 pm

I've recently acquired my dream bass, a 2000 Ric 4003 in Jetglo.

I would really like to set it up for BEAD. I've takes to my luthier and he reccomended finding a middle of the road 5 string set and omit the high string. I also am planning on getting a new nut , because the old one probably won't work with the larger strings.

Have any of you guys done this before? I've read some suggestions that tuning down Rics is not a great idea.

Thoughts?
diocide

involved
involved

Re: Tuning a Ric down...

Postby untilshewokeme » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:05 pm

Hey Neighbor! (I'm actually in Middlesex county too)

I have a 4003 and I was going to do this too, but I have put it off for several months. After research this really is the best bet, because of the low tension of the Ric, it really is the only option to string it BEAD. I have heard of several people on TB and the Ric forum doing this with no issues. Just can't take EADG string and tune down it will just become spaghetti.

You won't need a new nut, just file the original one down. But if you ever wanted to go back to EADG then you would need a new nut.
untilshewokeme

experienced
experienced

Postby diocide » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Cool. I'm still going to grab a new but just in case the current one splits or is too low.

where you located? I live in Middletown.
diocide

involved
involved

Postby untilshewokeme » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:53 pm

I'm in East Hampton.
untilshewokeme

experienced
experienced

Postby diocide » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:00 pm

Cool. Small world.
diocide

involved
involved

Postby waltdogg » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:50 pm

if you have no experience doing any of this. let your luthier do it. or you may regret it.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby diocide » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:53 pm

I've done setups on my guitars, but he is doing this mainly because of the gauge change.

Trust me, I knew where my expertise ends! Lol.
diocide

involved
involved

Postby waltdogg » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:57 pm

okay good.

i had a buddy leave some heavy ass strings on his Ric in GDAE fucked up everything.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby diocide » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:15 pm

waltdogg wrote:okay good.

i had a buddy leave some heavy ass strings on his Ric in GDAE fucked up everything.

TBH, truss lord adjustment kind of intimidates me , because it can lead to irreparable harm. I've done it on my guitars before, but a double truss rod, on literally my most expensive guitar? Yeah, no thanks.
diocide

involved
involved

Postby Mudfuzz » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:53 pm

I tune my 1980 4003 to BEAD [and I am using flat wounds] and have had no issues with it at all, granted I would not tune either of my 70's 4001s like that because they do not have the upgraded truss rods that is what makes a 4003 a 4003 and not a 4001, that is the only really difference between the two. Going for bigger lower like a low F# or something though… there are more things than just the neck taking the tension that would be the issue like: how the standard RIC bass bridge works, the pickups, and then it is a pIA to adjust the spacing to get different clearance on those swanky pickup covers/hand rest.

anyway BEAD on a ric sounds cool too
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby diocide » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:47 am

Mudfuzz wrote:I tune my 1980 4003 to BEAD [and I am using flat wounds] and have had no issues with it at all, granted I would not tune either of my 70's 4001s like that because they do not have the upgraded truss rods that is what makes a 4003 a 4003 and not a 4001, that is the only really difference between the two. Going for bigger lower like a low F# or something though… there are more things than just the neck taking the tension that would be the issue like: how the standard RIC bass bridge works, the pickups, and then it is a pIA to adjust the spacing to get different clearance on those swanky pickup covers/hand rest.

Nice! I couldn't find a set of flat wounds that were in a comparable gauge, so I went with a set of DR Low riders. I think it's 130-110-85-60. I also got a aTusq nut blank as close to the original as possible, which was no easy task. There's no pre slotted nut anywhere close in size to the Ric from Tusq. So worst case, my luthier will but me a new nut out of that.
diocide

involved
involved

Postby Mudfuzz » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:54 am

diocide wrote:
Mudfuzz wrote:I tune my 1980 4003 to BEAD [and I am using flat wounds] and have had no issues with it at all, granted I would not tune either of my 70's 4001s like that because they do not have the upgraded truss rods that is what makes a 4003 a 4003 and not a 4001, that is the only really difference between the two. Going for bigger lower like a low F# or something though… there are more things than just the neck taking the tension that would be the issue like: how the standard RIC bass bridge works, the pickups, and then it is a pIA to adjust the spacing to get different clearance on those swanky pickup covers/hand rest.

Nice! I couldn't find a set of flat wounds that were in a comparable gauge, so I went with a set of DR Low riders. I think it's 130-110-85-60. I also got a aTusq nut blank as close to the original as possible, which was no easy task. There's no pre slotted nut anywhere close in size to the Ric from Tusq. So worst case, my luthier will but me a new nut out of that.

I use d'addario 130,100,80,60 :idk: RIC makes replacement nuts http://www.pickofthericks.com/rickenbac ... 301-black/
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby diocide » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:23 am

Mudfuzz wrote:
diocide wrote:

I use d'addario 130,100,80,60 :idk: RIC makes replacement nuts http://www.pickofthericks.com/rickenbac ... 301-black/

I'll have to bookmark that page! Thanks! I'll probably grab one of those and the pickup cover.

How's the tension with those strings at BEAD?
diocide

involved
involved

Postby Mudfuzz » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:14 pm

They are on the looser side because Rics have a little shorter scale than standard, I could see some players wanting a tighter feel, I like like the lower tension on Rics because of that and don't go up in size because I like the sound I get… I pretty much use the same d'addario gauges on most of my basses because I like the sound and for me they are predictable so that changing the bass or amp or pedal is more apparent… but even other brands and string types I like a sprangier feel vs tight.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Return to Guitar and Bass